Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
ASSESSMENT OF SOMATIC EMBRYOGENESIS AND PLANT REGENERATION POTENTIALITY FROM COLEOPTILE AND ROOT TISSUES OF JHUM RICE (ORYZA SATIVA L.).
root and coleoptiles in three Jhum rice cultivars (cvs.) viz Hamaran, Sori, Kulbadam. Spontaneous
callus induction and plant regeneration as well as variation among the cultivars were observed in
different combinations on MS based media. Embryogenic calli and non embryogenic calli were
found on MS based media supplemented with 2.5 mgl-1 2, 4-D; 1% Casein hydrolysate (CH) and
0.5 mgl-1 Kn respectively. Plantlet regeneration occurred on MS basal medium using 2.0 mgl-1
BAP and 0.5 mgl-1 Kn. In point of coleoptiles, cv. Hamaran displayed a good number of embryogenic
calli and shoot production. Most effective response amongst the cultivars was found in coleoptiles
than root while explants of root failed to reproduce plantlets through tissue culture. Finally, the
plantlets were transferred to the natural condition in pot for acclimatization.
- Abe T. and Futsuhara Y. (1985) J. Plant Physiol. 121: 111-118.
- Abe T. and Futsuhara Y. (1986) Japan J. Breed. 36: 1- 16.
- Al-Forkan et al. (2005) Biotechnology. 4: 230- 234.
- Al-Forkan M. and Rahim M A. (2005) Chittagong Univ. J. Bio. Sci. 29: 89-96.
- Bhattacharya P. and Sen S.K. (1980) Theo. Appl. Genet. 58: 87-90.
- Chand Suresh and Sahrawat A.K. (1997) Indian J. Biotech. 32: 17-18.
- Guo C.Y. and Cao Z.Y. (1982) Heredities China. 4: 8-10.
- Hoque E.H. and Mansfied J.W. (2004) Plant Cell. Tiss. Org. Cult. 78: 217-223.
- Vol. 44, No. 2, 2010 95
- Hoque M.E. et al. (2007) Plant Tiss. Cult. & Biotech. 171: 65-70.
- Jain R.K. (1997).Indian J. Expl Biol. 35.
- Kawata S. and Ishihara A. (1968) Japan Acad. 44: 549-553.
- Khatun M.M. (2003) Plant Tiss. Cult. 13: 99-107.
- Khalequzzaman M. (2005) Plant Tiss. Cult. 5: 33-42.
- Khush G.S. (1997) Plant Mol. Bio. 35: 25-34.
- Lee S.Y. et al. (2003) Plant cell. Tiss. & Org. Cult. 74: 243-249.
- Mandal A.B. et al. (2003) Plant Tiss. Cult. 13: 125-133.
- Murashige T. and Skoog F. (1962) Physiol. Plant 15: 473-497.
- Mukhopadhyay A. et al. ( 1997) Curr. Sci. 73: 465-469.
- Oinam G.S. and Kothari S.L. (1995) Plant Cell. Rep., 14: 245-248.
- Panday S.K. et al. (1994) Indian J. Genet. 54: 293-299.
- Paroda R.S. (1998) The International Rice Commision, (Cairo, Egypt), 7-9 September, 1-23.
- Putvar E.L. (1998) The International Rice Commission (Cairo, Egypt), 7-9 September, 1-23.
- Rout Y.R. and Lucas W.J. (1996) Planta 198: 127-138.
- Shahnewaz S. and Bari M.A. (2004) Plant Tiss. Cult. 14: 37-73.
- Xiao J. et al. (1996) Nature 383: 203-224.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.