INFLUENCE OF DIFFERENT ORGANIC SUBSTANCES ON GROWTH AND HERB YIELD OF SACRED BASIL (OCIMUM SANCTUM L.)
Citation :- INFLUENCE OF DIFFERENT ORGANIC SUBSTANCES ON GROWTH AND HERB YIELD OF SACRED BASIL (OCIMUM SANCTUM L.).Indian Journal Of Agricultural Research.2010.(44):48 - 52
Sacred basil (Ocimum sanctum) leaves, seeds and whole plant is useful. Investigations undertaken
aiming to increase the growth and yield parameters using different organic substances produced
positive results. The present study envisages that spraying of combination of 2% Panchakavya +
0.2% Humic Acid + 2% Moringa Leaf Extract resulted in higher plant height, number of leaves, leaf
area and leaf area index of basil both at 60 and 90 days after planting. Further the same treatment
also produced a pronounced effect on fresh and dry herb weight at both the stages of plant growth.
The highest dry herbage yield of 1317 kg ha 1 was recorded from the treatment of combination of 2%
Panchakavya + 0.2% Humic Acid + 2% Moringa Leaf Extract (T7) and was significantly differed
from other treatments. The same treatment also registered the highest benefit: cost ratio of 2.71.
Hence it is concluded that combined bio-stimulant spraying (2% Panchakavya + 0.2%Humic Acid +
2% Moringa Leaf Extract) at 30 and 60 days after planting economically viable in producing higher
dry herbage yield in sacred basil.
- Anonymous. (2001) Cultivation of Andrographis paniculata. Available in: http:// www.geocities.com/andrographis/
- cultivation.htm. Accessed on 20.04.2004.
- Arularasu, P. et al. (2008). Indian Perfumer, 52: 56-60.
- Bakly, S.A. (1974) Agrl. Res. Rev., 52(9): 95-99
- Cacco, G. and Dell’ Agnola, G. (1984). Can. J. Soil Sci., 64: 225
- Ganesh, R. (2004) M.Sc.(Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu, Agrl. Univ., Coimbatore.
- Maynard, D.N. et al. (1962) Proc. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 81: 385-389.
- Natarajan, K. (2002). Panchakavya- A Manual. Other India Press, Goa, India. p. 33.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1985). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. Indian Council of Agricultural
- Research, New Delhi.
- Sridhar,T. (2003) M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Vaughan, D. (1985) In: Soil Organic Matter and Biological Activity (Vaughan, D. and Malcolm, R.E.eds), Martinus
- Nijhoff, Dordrecht. pp. 77-108
- Williams, R.E. (1946). Ann. Bot., 10: 41-71.