EFFECTS OF POTASSIUM AND ZINC NUTRITION ON YIELD AND QUALITY OF FORAGE SORGHUM
Citation :- EFFECTS OF POTASSIUM AND ZINC NUTRITION ON YIELD AND QUALITY OF FORAGE SORGHUM.Indian Journal Of Agricultural Research.2013.(47):540-544
Field studies to determine the effect of potassium @ 20, 40 and 60 kg K2O ha”1 and zinc @ 10 and 20 kg zinc sulphate -ZnSO4 ha”1 revealed that green and dry forage yields of sorghum were significantly influenced due to the application of K and Zn. Application of K @ 40 and 60 kg K2O ha-1 increased green and dry forage yields to the extent of 9.8 and 13.1and 9.7 and 12.9 %, respectively. The green and dry forage yields were increased by 6.2 and 10.2 and 5.9 and 9.7 % respectively due to ZnSO4 @ 10 and 20 kg ha-1 in comparison to without Zn application. The highest net return of Rs.21934 ha-1 and B:C ratio of 2.51 were recorded with combined application of K @ 40 kg K2O ha-1 and ZnSO4 @ 20 kg ha-1. Protein content and yield were increased progressively with the increasing K and Zn levels. Application of K significantly enhanced the status of organic carbon and available K in the soil at harvest stage of crop. Available P status in the soil decreased significantly due to application of Zn, while, available of S and Zn were significantly increased due to Zn application.
- Jackson, M. L. (1973). Soil Chemical Analysis. Prentice Hall of India Pvt, ltd., New delhi
- Lindsay, W.L. and Norvell, W.A. (1978). Development of DTPA soil test for zinc, iron, manganese and copper. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 42: 421-428.
- Marschner, H. (1995). Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants. 2nd edn. Academic Press London.
- Moinuddin and Patricia Imas (2010). Effect of zinc nutrition on growth, yield, and quality of forage sorghum in respect with increasing potassium application. J. Plant Nutr., 33:2062–2081.
- Pasricha, N. S. and Bansal, S. K. (2002). Potassium for Sustainable Crop Production. Gurgaon, India: Potash Research Institute of India.
- Pillai, R.N. and Nookaraju, Y. (1997). Effect of graded levels of applied potassium on dry matter production and nutrient uptake in sorghum. Potassium Res. 13:239-244.
- Subba Rao, A. and Rupa, T. R. (2003). Importance of zinc × phosphorus interaction in crop production. Fertil. News 48: 69–82.
- Yang, S.M., Li, F.M.; Malhi, S.S.; Wang, P.; Suo, D.R. and Wang, J.G. (2004). Long-term fertilization effects on crop yield and nitrate nitrogen accumulation in soil in Northwestern China. Agron. J. 96:1039-1049.