Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Full Research Article
The Importance of the Role of Agricultural Cooperatives in the Development of the Agricultural Sector: The Case of Greece
First Online 11-05-2022|
Methods: The model chosen for the analysis is the input-output analysis method which measures the economic impact that companies have on their local economies. In this case it concerns the change of production from the various companies belonging to the cooperatives to a financial contribution to the whole economy.
Result: The results of the theoretical and empirical analysis clearly showed that the cooperative organizations in Greece, despite the chronic problems they face, contribute positively and satisfactorily to the entire economy of the country. This contribution is made not only by the services they offer to their members but also through the financial activities they undertake with their cooperative enterprises.
- Avdelidis, P. (1986). The Agrarian Cooperative Movement in Greece. Historical Development and Action. Problems and Development Prospects. Papazisis Publications, Athens. (in Greek).
- Adelman, I. and Robinson, Sh. (1986). U.S. Agriculture in a General Equilibrium Framework: Analysis with a Social Accounting Matrix, American Journal of Agricultural Economics Vol. 68, no. 5, Proceedings Issue (Dec. 1986), Published by: Oxford University Press on behalf of the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association. (In Greek); pp. 1196-1207 (12 pages).
- Andrianesi, G.E. and Drivakou, E.A. (2010). Administrative and Financial data of PASEGES, Thesis, School of Management and Economics, Department of AI.S.K.E.O. Technological Educational Institute of Messolonghi. (In Greek).
- Ahmed, H.M. and Mesfin, M.H. (2017). The impact of agricultural cooperatives membership on the wellbeing of smallholder farmers: Empirical evidence from eastern Ethiopia, Agricultural and Food Economics. (2017) 5: 6.
- Varvitsa, D., (2010). Economic Investigation of Forced Cooperatives in Greece. Postgraduate thesis. (in Greek)
- Bernard, T., Taffesse, A.S., Gebre-Medhin, E.Z., (2008). Impact of cooperatives on smallholders’ commercialization behavior: Evidence from Ethiopia. Agricultural Economics. 39: 147-161.
- Bretos, I. and Marcuello, C. (2016). Revisiting Globalization Challenges and Opportunities in the Development of Cooperatives, Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics. 88: 1.
- COGECA (2010). Agricultural Cooperatives in Europe. Main Issues and Trends, including a compendium of Cogeca member organizations, Brussels, 15/9/10, posted on www.copacogeca.be /img/users/file/COGECA_BOOK_2011/COGECA_Book_rev_17.pdf.
- Damianos, D. and Vlachos, G. (2014). On a National Strategy for Agriculture and Food. In: Competitiveness for Development: Policy Proposals. [M. Masourakis and C. Gortsos (Ed.)]. Hellenic Banks Association. (in Greek)
- Daoutopoulos, G. (2006). Sociology of Collaboration, Idios Edition, Thessaloniki. (in Greek).
- Deller, S., Hoyt, A., Hueth, B. and Sundaram-Skutel, R. (2009). Research on the Economic Impact of Cooperatives. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives
- Deller, C. S. (2019). The Contribution of Agriculture to the Wisconsin Economy: An Update for 2017, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics Center for Community Economic Development University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Folsom, J. (2003). Measuring the Economic Impact of Cooperatives in Minnesota, Agriculture Rural Business-Cooperative Service RBS Research Report 200, USDA/Rural Development/ Minnesota.
- Hasen, M.A., Mekonnen, H.M. (2017). The impact of agricultural cooperatives membership on the wellbeing of smallholder farmers: Empirical evidence from eastern Ethiopia, Agricultural and Food Economics, ISSN 2193-7532, Springer, Heidelberg. 5(6): 1-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40100-017-0075-z.
- IFAD (International Fund for Agricultural Development) (2013). IFAD’s engagement with cooperatives- A study in relation to the United Nations ’International Year of Cooperatives. Retrieved from http://www.ifad.org/evaluation/public_ html/eksyst/doc/syn/2013/cooperatives/index.htm
- Iliopoulos, C. and Valentinov, V. (2012). Opportunism in agricultural cooperatives in Greece. Outlook on Agriculture. 41(1): 15-19.
- Johnston, F.B. and Mellor, W.J. (1961). The role of agriculture in economic development. The American Economic Review. 51(4): 566-593.
- Kaminari-Klimi, O. (2003). Relations between the State and Cooperatives in Greece, for the Development of the Rural Population (Contribution to the historical development of the institution until today) Doctoral Thesis, Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences, Department of Public Administration. (in Greek)
- Kašparová, K., Svoboda, R., Severová, L. and Hinke, J. (2019). Evaluation of the performance of Czech agriculture. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 53: 522-528.
- Karypidis, I.F. (2015). Cooperative Trade in Agricultural Products and Untapped Opportunities in Greece, Social Economy Issue 4, Institute for Cooperative Research and Studies (ISEM) (in Greek).
- Krueger, A., Schiff, M. and ValdCs, A., (1988). Agricultural incentives in developing countries: Measuring the effect of sectoral and economy wide policies. World Bank Econ.
- Majee, W. and Hoyt, A. (2009). Building community trust through cooperatives: A case study of a worker-owned homecare cooperative. Journal of Community Practice. 17: 444-463.
- Meijerink, G. and Roza, P. (2007). The role of agriculture in development. Markets, Chains and Sustainable Development Strategy and Policy Paper, no. 5. Stichting DLO: Wageningen. Available at: http://www.boci.wur.nl/UK/Publications/
- Mitsiou, K.M., (2006). The legal status of agricultural cooperatives in Greece and the European Union especially in terms of management and employee participation in the decision- making process, Postgraduate Thesis, Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences, Department of Public Administration. (in Greek)
- Miller, E.R. and Blair, D.P. (2009). Input-Output Analysis, Foundations and Extensions, Cambridge University Press.
- Miller, W.P. (2017). Economic multipliers: How communities can use them for planning. Little Rock, AR: University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture. From https:// www.uaex.edu/business-communities/economic- development/FSCED6.pdf
- Ortmann, G.F. and King, P.R. (2007). Agricultural Cooperatives I: History, Theory and Problems, Agrekon. 46(1).
- Ohunyeye, O.F., Obamen, J., Omonona, S. and Agbaeze, K.E. (2020). Effect of Economic and Agricultural Diversification on the Economic Growth in Nigeria, Agricultural Science Digest. 40: 34-38.
- Papageorgiou, K. (2015). Sustainable Cooperative Economy (Theory and Practice) Stamoulis Publications 3rd Edition Athens. (in Greek).
- Patronis, V. and Mavreas, K. (2004). Agricultural cooperative organizations in Greece throughout the 20th Century: A critical overview. Journal of Rural Cooperation. 32(1): 51-62.
- Rachana, P. and Vineel, B. (2019). Impact of rural entrepreneurship on migration- A case study of Dahanu (Maharashtra), India. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 53: 500-503.
- Round, J.I. (2003). Social Accounting Matrices and SAM-based Multiplier Analysis. In: The Impact of Economic Policies on Poverty and Income Distribution: Evaluation Techniques and Tools. [F. Bourguignon and L.A. Pereira da Silva (eds.)], Washington, DC and New York: World Bank and Oxford University Press.
- Sergaki, P., (2006). A Condensed Profile of Greek Unions of Agricultural Cooperatives, New Medit No 3/2006.
- Sergaki, P. (2010). The role of networks on the competitiveness of agricultural cooperatives and small-medium enterprises along the supply chain in Greece’, Food Economics - Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section C. 7(2): 180-191.
- Sergaki, P., Nastis, S. (2011). Collective entrepreneurship in agriculture and its contribution to sustainable rural development in Greece. Journal of the Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijiæ” SASA. 61(2): 109-128.
- Thorbecke, W. (2000). The Use of Social Accounting Matrices in Modeling, paper prepared for the 26th General Conference of the International Association for Research in Income and Wealth Cracow, Poland, 27 august to 2 September 2000. http://old.iariw.org/papers/2000/thorbecke.pdf.
- Uzea, F. Nicoleta, (2014). Methodologies to measure the economic impact of cooperatives: A critical review. Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research. 42(2): 1-22.
- Vladislav, V., (2007). Why are cooperatives important in agriculture? An organizational economics perspective. Journal of Institutional Economics. 3(1): 55-69. Printed in the United Kingdom.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.