Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Full Research Article
Traditional Selection Potato Varieties and Their Resistance to the 28-punctata Potato Ladybug Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) in the Southern Russian Far East
First Online 05-01-2022|
Methods: In laboratory experiments, the indicators of fertility, mortality and duration of development, morphological anomalies and the effect of potato varieties on the composition of Epilakhna’s hemolymph were studied. The sample consisted of 50 individuals with a slight predominance of females. The experiment used 13 varieties of potatoes.
Result: A specific dependence of the frequency of phytophage anomalies on the variety was revealed. The influence of nutrition on survival and the timing of ontogenesis has been established. The results obtained indicate the high breeding value of the material when recommending it for cultivation in regions with a high number of pests, as well as when creating new varieties.
- Burand, J.P. and Hunter, W.B. (2013). RNAi: Future in insect management. J. Invertebrate Pathol. 112: 68-74. DOI: 10.1016/ j.jip.2012.07.012.
- Chaika, S. Yu. (2017). Insect histology. Moscow. (In Russian).
- Chen, X. and Lewandowska, D., Armstrong, M.R., Baker, K., Lim, T.Y., Bayer, M., Harrower, B., McLean, K., Jupe, F., Witek, K., Lees, A.K., Jones, J.D., Bryan, G.J. and Hein, I. (2018). Identification and rapid mapping of a gene conferring broadspectrum late blight resistance in the diploid potato species Solanum verrucosum through DNA capture technologies. Theor. Appl. Gen. 131(6): 1287-1297. doi.org/10.1007/s00122-018-3078-6.
- Fasulati S.R., Ivanova O.V. (2015). Sustainable varieties as the basis for integrated protection of potatoes from the Colo rado potato beetle. Potato protection. 2: 32-35. (In Russian).
- Gillund, F., Hilbeck, A. and Wikmark, O.G. (2011). Genetically Modified Potato with Increased Resistance to P. infestans-Selecting Test Species for Environmental Impact Assessment on Non-Target Organisms: Biosafety Report 2011/05/GenØk - Centre for Biosafety. Tromsø, Norway.
- Giulianini, P.G., Bertolo, F., Battistella, S. and Amirante, G.A. (2003). Ultrastructure of the hemocytes of Cetonischema aeruginosa larvae (Coleoptera, Scarabaeidae): involvement of both granulocytes and oenocytoids in vivo phagocytosis. Tissue Cell. 35(4): 243-251. DOI: 10.1016/s0040-8166(03)00037-5.
- Islam, K., Islam, M.S. and Ferdousi, Z. (2011). Control of Epilachna vigintioctopuntata Fab. (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) using some indigenous plant extracts. J. Life Earth Sci. 6: 75-80. DOI:10.3329/jles.v6i0.9725.
- Ivanova, O.V. and Fasulati, S.R. (2016). Principles and methods of selection of potato and vegetable nightshade crops resistant to the Colorado potato beetle. Plant Protection and Quarantine. 10: 12-16. (In Russian).
- Madhavi, M., Babu, R.G. and Srinivas, V. (2019). Morphological abnormalities of betulinic acid from Ziziphus jujuba against the Callasobruchus chinensis (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Biosci. Biotech. Res. Asia. 16(2):411-416. DOI: http:// dx.doi.org/10.13005/bbra/2756.
- Matsishina, N.V., Shaybekova, A.S., Boginskaya, N.G., Sobko, O.A., Volkov, D.I. and Kim, I.V. (2019). Preliminary study of traditional selection potato varieties resistance for potatoes ladybug Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata (Motschulsky, 1857) in the Primorsky territory. Vegetable Crops of Russia. 6: 116-119. https://doi.org/10.18619/2072-9146-2019-6-116-119 (In Russian.)
- Miranda, M.P., Yamamoto, P.T., Garcia, R.B., Lopes, J.P. and Lopes, J.R. (2016). Thiamethoxam and imidacloprid drench applications on sweet orange nursery trees disrupt the feeding and settling behaviour of Diaphorinacitri (Hemiptera: Liviidae). Pest. Manag. Sci. 72: 1785-1793. DOI: 10.1002/ ps.4213.
- Nazarenko, E.A., Skryshevskaya, I.V., Korpan, Ya.I., Nazarenko, E.A., Skryshevskaya, I.V. and Korpan, Ya. I. (2002). Potato glycoalkaloids: Dissemination, physical and chemical properties, toxicity and methods of detection. Biopolymers and Cell. 6(18): 478-4840. (In Russian.)
- Pavlyushin, V.A., Vilkova, N.A., Sukhoruchenko, G.I., Fasulati, S.R., Nadykta, V.D., Ismailov, V. Ya. and Yakovleva I.N. (2005). Methodological recommendations for the indication and monitoring of the processes of the Colorado potato beetle adaptation to genetically modified potato varieties. St. Petersburg. (In Russian).
- Prisny, U.A. (2009). Classification of morphological anomalies of the beetles (Coleoptera). Belgorod State University Scientific Bulletin. Natural Sciences. 11(9(1): 72-81. (In Russian.)
- Ribeiro, C. and Brehelin, M. (2006). Insect haemocytes: what type of cell is that? J. Insect Physiol. 52(5): 417-429. DOI: 10.1016/ j.jinsphys.2006.01.005.
- Shapiro, I. D., Vilkova, N.A. and Slepyan, E.I. (1986). Plant immunity to pests and diseases. Leningrad. (In Russian).
- Shelley, J. (2000). Breeding for Disease Resistance in Potato. Plant Breed. Rev. 19: 69-155.
- Silva, J.E.B., Boleli, I.C. and Simoes, Z.L.P. (2002). Hemocyte types and total and differential count in unparasitized and parasitized Anastrepha obliqua (Diptera, Tephritidae) larvae. Braz. J. Biol. 62: 689-699. DOI: 10.1590/s1519- 69842002000400017.
- Smirnov, Yu. V. (2010). Analysis of the phytosanitary risk of the 28-punctata potato ladybug Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata (Motsch.) for the territory of the Russian Federation. Moscow. (In Russian).
- Steinhaus, E. (1952). Pathology of Insects. Moscow. (In Russian).
- Telang, A., Buck, N.A. and Wheeler, D.E. (2002). Response of storage protein levels to variation in dietary protein levels. J. Insect Physiol. 48(11): 1021-1029. DOI: 10.1016/ s0022-1910(02)00190-7.
- Umamaheswari, P., Gayathri, N.K. and Subbarao, M. (2021). Effect of nitrogen fertilizer doses and pre sowing seed treatments on yield and yield attributing characters in foxtail millet (Setaria italica L. Beauv). Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 55: 634-638.
- Vilkova, N.A. and Fasulati, S.R. (2001). Variability and adaptive microevolution of phytophagous insects in an agroecosystem in connection with the immunogenetic properties of forage plants. Proceedings of the Russian Entomological Society. 72: 107-128. (In Russian).
- Vilkova, N.A., Asyakin, B.P., Nefedova, L.I., Vereshchagina, A.B., Ivanova, O.V., Razdoburdin, V.A., Fasulati, S.R. and Yusupov, T.M. (2003). Methods of assessing agricultural crops for group resistance to pests. St. Petersburg.
- Zlotin A.Z. (1989). Technical entomology. Kiev, (In Russian).
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.