Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Distribution of Soil Microorganisms in Field under Potatoes due to Fertilizer and Organics
First Online 05-10-2021|
Methods: Vegetable experiment comprising 10 years (2011-2021), having a control variant (no fertilization), independent mineral, organics (compost) and their combination (50:50%). Changes in the amount and distribution of microbial groups in experimental variants and associated untreated controls were evaluated. Total bacterial number, spore-forming bacteria, fungi, nitrogen-utilizing bacteria and actinomycetes were assessed.
Result: Applied organics and fertilizers had statistically proven a positive effect on growth parameters of potatoes. Organics and fertilizers supplied with mineral and foliar feeding registered taller plants with increased number of branches, number and mass of leaves and stem and root masses, compared to potatoes with organic and organic-mineral combination. Application of compost led to a significant increase in populations of all physiological groups of microorganisms excluding spore-forming bacteria and bacteria utilizing mineral nitrogen, which is a good indicator of increased soil microbial activity in respective treatments. Mineral fertilization had a positive effect on total number of bacteria and on absorption of mineral nitrogen. The treatment in variant (50:50 %) at rhizosphere soil was associated with organic manure application and at non-rhizosphere soil with mineral fertilizer.
- Alef, K., Nannipieri, P. (1998). Methods in Applied Soil Microbiology and Biochemistry. 2nd edition. Academic Press Ltd, London, 576.
- Arinushkina, E.V., (1970). Guide for Chemical Analyses of Soil. Published by Colossus, Moscow, Russia.
- Assefa, S. and Tadesse, S. (2019). The principal role of organic fertilizer on soil properties and agricultural productivity- A review. Agri. Res. and Tech: Open Access J. 22(2): 556192.
- Bhatti, A.A, Haq, S., Bhat, R.A. (2017). Actinomycetes benefaction role in soil and plant health. Microbial Pathogenesis. 111: 458-467.
- Boteva, H., (2013). Relationship between yield and nutrient uptake from early potatoes at increasing norms fertilization. Bulgarian Journal of Soil Science Agrochemisty and Ecology. 47(4): 54- 59.
- Cholakov T., Boteva H., (2012). Influence of biological fertilizers on productivity of early potatoes. Journal of International Scientific Publications; Ecology and Safety, 6, part 3, ISSN: 1313-2563: 137-143.
- Chowdhury, S.P., Babin, D., Sandmann, M., Jacquiod, S., Sommermann, L., Sørensen, S.J., Fliessbach, A., Mäder, P., Geistlinger, J., Smalla, K., Rothballer, M., Grosch, R., (2019). Effect of long-term organic and mineral fertilization strategies on rhizosphere microbiota assemblage and performance of lettuce. Environmental Microbiology. 21: 2426-2439.
- El-Sayed, S.F., Gahrib, A., Rasha, A., Eid, R. (2018). Effect of biofertilizer and compost on nitrate status, yield and quality of potato tuber under newly reclaimed sandy soil. Agrofor - International Journal. 3 No. 1.
- Goushterov, G. Andonov, P., Todorov, T.S., Kominkov, L., Gincheva- Stercheva, M. (1977). Practicum on microbiology and virology. Second edition, Science and Art, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Ivanova, D., Perfanova, J., Petkova, Z., (2019). Effect of increasing rates of organic fertilizers on the soil microflora (pot experiment with maize). Bulgarian Journal of Soil Science, Agrochemisty and Ecology. 53: 36-44.
- Kakar, K., Nitta, Y., Asagi, N., Komatsuzaki, M., Shiotau, F., Kokubo, T., Xuan, T.D., (2019). Morphological analysis on comparison of organic and chemical fertilizers on grain quality of rice at different planting densities. Plant Production Science. 22: 510-518.
- Mitova, I. and Ruseva, S. (2014). Sensitivity analysis of predicted soil loss from erosion to its determining factors. Soil Science Agrochemistry and Ecology, Bulgaria. 48(1): 26-30.
- Neshev N. and Manolov. I., (2016). Effect of Fertilization on Soil Fertility and Nutrient Use Efficiency at Potatoes, General Assembly of the European Geosciences Union (EGU), Soil System Science Division, 18-22.04.2016, Wien, Austria.
- Nunan, N., Schmidt, H., Raynaud, X., (2020). The ecology of heterogeneity: Soil bacterial communities and C dynamics. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. 375: 20190249.
- Or, D., Smets, B.F., Wraith, J.M., Dechesne, A., Friedman, S.P., (2007). Physical constraints affecting bacterial habitats and activity in unsaturated porous media- A review. Advanced Materials Research. 30: 1505-1527.
- Shankaraswamy, J., Arakeri, K.B., Mantena, S.V., (2017). Bio dynamic farming: A future agriculture farming. Advances in Plants and Agriculture Research. 6: 49-50.
- Singh, C., Swain, K.C., (2020). Soil nutrient based land suitability analysis for lentil crop in Tarakeswar, Hooghly, West Bengal. Agricultural Science Digest. 40: 343-349.
- Singh, R., Singh, A., Singh, G., Singh, A., Kaur, G. (2021). Influence of bed size and irrigation methods on potato (Solanum tuberosum). Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 55: 296-302.
- Toader, C., Rusu, M., Marghitas, M., Fit, E., (2010). Research the effect of mineral fertilization on potato. Research Journal of Agricultural Science. 42: 334-339.
- Yogananda, S.B., Ramakrishna Parama, V.R., Prakash, S.S. and Thimmegowda, M.N. (2019). Effect of biodegradable urban waste compost on growth and yield of maize (Zea mays L.). Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 53: 703-707.
- Young, I.M., Crawford, J.W. (2004). Interactions and self-organization in the soil-microbe complex. Science. 304: 1634-1637.
- Zorb, C., Senbayram M., Peite, E. (2014). Potassium in agriculture - Status and perspectives. Journal of Plant Physiology, 171: 656-669.
- Wright, C., Gryganskyi, A.P., Bonito, G. (2016). Fungi in Composting. In: Fungal Applications in Sustainable Environmental Biotechnology. [Purchase D. (eds)], Fungal Biology. Springer, Cham.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.