Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Correlation and Path Analysis in Commercial Tenera Oil Palms Collected from Southern Thailand
First Online 22-12-2021|
Methods: The oil yield, fresh fruit bunch, bunch number, average bunch weight, leaf area, leaf dry weight and rachis length were recorded from six commercial tenera oil palm progenies. The data were recorded between January 2019 and June 2020 at The Chaipattana Foundation’s oil palm plantation in Trang Province, Thailand.
Result: Results show that fresh fruit bunch, average bunch weight and rachis length positively correlated with oil yield (rp = 0.90**, 0.50* and 0.53, respectively), while bunch number and rachis length positively correlated with fresh fruit bunch (rp = 0.58* and 0.47*, respectively). The path analysis shows that bunch number significantly correlated with fresh fruit bunch (0.58*) and strongly directly affected it (1.11). The fresh fruit bunch significantly correlated with oil yield, (0.90**) and had a strong direct (2.08) and indirect effect (1.20). These results indicate that bunch number and fresh fruit bunch are useful variables for oil yield improvement in further breeding programs of oil palm.
- Al-Jibouri, H.A., Kitter, P.A. and Robinson, H.F. (1958). Genotypic and environmental variations and covariances in an upland cotton cross of interspecific origin. Agronomy Journal. 50: 533-536.
- Bueraheng, N., Promma, S. and Eksomtramage, T. (2017). Biplot analysis of agronomic and yield trait relations in tenera oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.). Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology. 39: 709-714.
- Corley, R.H.V. (2018). Studies of bunch analysis 1 - variation within and between palms. Journal of Oil Palm Research. 30: 196-205.
- Corley, R.H.V. and Tinker, P.B. (2003). The Oil Palm. 4th Edn. Blackwell Publishing Company, Oxford. pp. 562.
- Eksomtramage, T. (2015). Oil Palm Breeding. 2nd Edn. OS. Printing House, Bangkok. pp. 463.
- Eksomtramage, W. and Eksomtramage, T. (2010). Heritability and correlations of agronomic characters in tenera oil palm hybrid. Journal of Agriculture. 26: 231-239.
- Franzese, M. and Iuliano, A. (2019). Correlation Analysis. In: Encyclopedia of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology. Cambridge, Elsevier.
- Gagné, F. (2014). Descriptive Statistics and Analysis in Biochemical Ecotoxicology. In: Biochemical Ecotoxicology. Canada, Academic Press.
- Giacomin, V. (2018). The transformation of the global palm oil cluster: Dynamics of cluster competition between Africa and Southeast Asia (c.1900-1970). Journal of Global History. 13: 374-398.
- Karadavut, U. and Sozen, O. (2017). Pearson and canonical correlations between the root properties and some yield components of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Legume Research. 40: 890-895.
- Krualee, S., Sdoodee, S., Eksomtramage, T. and Sereeprasert, V. (2013). Correlation and path analysis of palm oil yield components in oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.). Kasetsart Journal. 47: 528-533.
- Kurmar, P.N., Babu, B.K., Mathur, R.K. and Ramajayam, D. (2018). Genetic Engineering of Oil Palm. In: Genetic Engineering of Horticultural Crops. Bhubaneswar, Academic Press.
- Lekshmanan, D.K. and Vahab M.A. (2018). Correlation and path coefficient analysis of yield and its component characters among different accessions of cluster bean [Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub.]. Legume Research. 41: 53-56.
- Ly, A., Marsman, M. and Wagenmakers, E. (2018). Analytic posteriors for Pearson’s correlation coefficient. Statistica Neerlandica. 72: 4-13.
- Olkin, I. and Sampson, A.R. (2001). Multivariate Analysis: Overview. In: International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Pergamon, Elsevier Ltd.
- Osman, K.A., Mustafa, A.M., Ali, F., Yonglain, Z. and Fazhan, Q. (2012). Genetic variability for yield and related attributes of upland rice genotypes in semi-arid zone (Sudan). African Journal of Agricultural Research. 7: 4613-4619.
- Pathpo, P. (2007). Genetic variance components of growth characters and yield in oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.). M.Sc. Thesis. Prince of Songkla University, Songkla.
- Rafll, M.Y., Isa, Z.A., Kushairi, A., Saleh, G.B. and Latif, M.A. (2013). Variation in yield components and vegetative traits in Malaysian oil palm (Elaeis guineensis jacq.) dura x pisifera hybrid under various planting densities. Industrial Crops and Products. 46: 147-157.
- Songrit, N. (2014). Heritabilities and correlations of vegetative growth and yield component characters in tenera oil palm. M.Sc. Thesis. Prince of Songkla University, Songkla.
- Soonsuwon, W., Eksomtramage, T., Nakkanong, K., Songsri, N. and Kaewsrisom, H. (2020). Identifying F2 oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) trees for their dura, pisifera and tenera types using fruit morphology and SSR markers. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 54: 399-403.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.