Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Microbes Mediated Mitigation of Abiotic Stresses in Agriculture
First Online 27-02-2021|
Methods: A pot experiment was conducted to elucidate the effect of inoculating bacterial strains on the wheat plant under various stress conditions. The bacteria were isolated and screened from drought, flood and heavy metal stressed soil samples. The selected strains were identified by morphological, biochemical and molecular methods. The ability of Acinetobacter junni S1, Acinetobacter junni S2, Leclercia adecarboxylata and Klebsiella variicola to stimulate the growth of plants were determined by pot experiment using a completely randomized design. The positive effect of isolates on seed germination percent, shoot and root length of the treated wheat plant were recorded. Analysis of soil samples from pots was carried out for evaluation of the presence of macro and micronutrients.
Result: The pots inoculated with selected isolates showed a significant increase in pH 7.77, EC 2.11, carbon 0.78, nitrogen 30.83 kg/ha, phosphorus 2.95 kg/ha, potassium 535.32 kg/ha, zinc 0.15 ppm, manganese 0.376 ppm, iron 0.53 ppm and copper 0.15 ppm as compared to control. The chlorophyll content estimation was carried out by using Arnon’s method. The chlorophyll a, b and total chlorophyll was found to be 14.39, 39.74 and 38.75 respectively.
- Almaghrabi, O.A., Massoud, S.I. and Abdelmoneim, T.S. (2013). Influence of inoculation with plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) on tomato plant growth and nematode reproduction under greenhouse conditions. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. 20(1): 57-61.
- Apun, K., Jong, B.C. and Salleh, M.A. (2000). Screening and isolation of a cellulolytic and amylolytic Bacillus from sago pith waste. The Journal of general and applied microbiology. 46(5): 263-267.
- Arnon, D.I. (1949). Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology. 24(1): 1-15.
- Ashraf, M., Athar, H.R., Harries, P.J.C. and Kwon, T.R. (2008). Some prospective strategies for improving crop salt tolerance. Advances in Agronomy. 97: 45-110.
- Bailey-Serres, J., Lee, S.C. and Brinton, E. (2012). Water proofing crops: Effective flooding survival strategies. Plant Physiology. 160(4): 1698-1709.
- Barbosa, B., Boleo, S., Sidella, S., Costa, J., Duarte, M.P., Mendes, B. and Fernando, A.L. (2015). Phytoremediation of heavy metal-contaminated soils using the perennial energy crops Miscanthus spp. and Arundodonax. L. Bio. Energy Research. 8(4): 1500-1511.
- Barriuso, J., Solano, B.R., Fray, R.G., Camara, M., Hartmann, A. and Manero, F.J. (2008). Transgenic tomato plants alter quorum sensing in plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria. Plant Biotechnology Journal. 6(5): 442-452.
- Benedetto, N., Campaniello, D., Bevilacqua, A., Cataldi, M., Sinigaglia, M., Flagella, Z. and Corbo, M. (2019). Isolation, screening and characterization of plant-growth-promoting bacteria from durum wheat rhizosphere to improve N and P nutrient use efficiency. Microorganisms. 7(11): 541.
- Bita, C.E. and Gerats, T. (2013). Plant tolerance to high temperature in a changing environment: Scientific fundamentals and production of heat stress tolerant crops. Frontiers in Plant Science. 4:273.
- Chun-Yan Wei, Lin, L., Luo, L.J., Xing, Y.X., Hu, C.J., Yang, L.T. and An, Q. (2014). Endophytic nitrogen-fixing Klebsiella variicola strain DX120E promotes sugarcane growth. Biology and Fertility of soils. 50(4): 657-666.
- Deshwal, V.K. and Kumar, P. (2013). Effect of salinity on growth and PGPR activity of Pseudomonas. Journal of Academia and Industrial Research. 2: 353-356.
- Dimkpa, C.O., Merten, D., Svatos, A., Buchel, G. and Kothe, E. (2009). Metal-induced oxidative stress impacting plant growth in contaminated soil is alleviated by microbial siderophores. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 41(1): 154-162.
- Doddabasawa, Chittapur, B.M. and Murthy, M.M. (2020). On-farm evaluation of pigeonpea (Cajanus cajana L. Millsp.) - neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss.) Agroforestry systems in the Deccan Plateau. Legume Research. 43(1): 87-92.
- Egamberdiyeva, D. and Hoflich, G. (2003). Influence of growth-promoting bacteria on the growth of wheat in different soils and temperatures. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 35(7): 973-978.
- Gang, A., Vyas, A. and Vyas, H. (2013). Toxic effect of heavy metals on germination and seedling growth of wheat. Journal of Environmental Research and Development. 8(2): 206.
- George, E., Rolf, S. and Ryan, J. (2013). Methods of soil, plants and water analysis. International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA), Third edition.
- Gogoi, S., Mishra, G. and Deka, A. (2016). Soil nutrient dynamics in tea agroforestry ecosystem of Golaghat district of Assam. Indian Agricultural Science Digest. 36(3): 185-190.
- Gourdji, S.M., Sibley, A.M. and Lobell, D.B. (2013). Global crop exposure to critical high temperatures in the reproductive period: historical trends and future projections. Environmental Research Letter. 8(2): 1-11.
- Hirabayashi, Y., Mahendran, R., Koirala, S., Konoahima, L., Yamazaki, D., Qatanabe, S. and Kanae, S. (2013). Global flood risk under climate change. Nature Climate Change. 3(9): 816-821.
- Huddedar, S.B., Shete A.M., Tilekar J.N., Gore, S.D., Dhavale D.D. and Chopade, B.A. (2002). Isolation, characterization and plasmid pUPI126-mediated indole-3-acetic acid production in Acinetobacter strains from rhizosphere of wheat. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 102(1-6): 21-39.
- Islam, F., Yasmeen, T., Ali, Q., Ali, S., Arif, M.S., Hussain, S. and Rizvi, H. (2014). Influence of Pseudomonas aeruginosaas PGPR on oxidative stress tolerance in wheat under Zn stress. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 104: 285-293.
- Jasmin, A.M. (1945). An improved staining method for demonstrating bacterial capsules, with particular reference to Pasteurella. Journal of Bacteriology. 50(3): 361-363.
- Jiang, Q.Y., Zhuo, F., Long, S.H., Zhao, H.D., Yang, D.J. and Ye, Z.H. (2016). Can Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi reduce Cd uptake and alleviate Cd toxicity of Lonicera japonica grown in Cd-added soils. Scientific Reports. 6(1):1-9.
- Kasana, R.C., Kaur, B. and Yadav, S.K. (2008). Isolation and identification of a psychrotrophic Acinetobacter sp.CR9 and characterization of its alkaline lipase. Journal of basic microbiology. 48(3): 207-212.
- Khan, M.Y., Asghar, H.N., Jamshaid, M.U., Akhtar, M.J. and Zahir, Z.A. (2013). Effect of microbial inoculation on wheat growth and phytostabilization of chromium contaminated soil. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 45(S1): 27-34.
- Kumar, A., Shukla, U.K., Singh, A., Poonam, A.K., Prasad, S., Singh, S.K. and Kumar, D. (2014). Evolution of Pseudomonas isolates from wheat for some important growth promoting traits. African Journal of Microbiology Research. 8: 2604-2608.
- Lobell, D.B. and Gourdji, S.M. (2012). The influence of climate change on global crop productivity. Plant Physiologist. 160(4): 1686-1697.
- Marakana, T., Sharma, M. and Sangani, K. (2018). Isolation and characterization of halotolerant bacteria and its effects on wheat plant as PGPR. The Pharma Innovation Journal. 7(7): 102-110.
- Marathe, R.J., Phatake, Y.B., Shaikh, A.C., Shinde, B.P. and Gajbhiye, M.H. (2017). Effect of IAA produced by Pseudomonas aeruginosa on seed germination and plant growth of Glycine max. Journal of Experimental Biology and Agricultural Sciences. 5(3): 2320-8694.
- Marulanda, A., Azcon, R., Ruiz-Lozona J.M. and Aroca, R. (2008). Differential effect of a Bacillus megaterium strain on Lactuca sativa plant growth depending on the origin of the Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus coinoculated: physiological and biochemical traits. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation. 27(1): 10-18.
- Mayak, S., Tirosh, T. and Glick, B.R. (2004). Plant growth-promoting bacteria confer resistance in tomato plants to salt stress. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 42(6): 565-572.
- Mengual, C., Schoebitz, M., Azcón, R. and Roldán, A. (2014). Microbial inoculants and organic amendment improves plant establishment and soil rehabilitation under semiarid conditions. Journal of Environmental Management. 134: 1-7.
- Muhammad, F., Brooks, J.D. and Riviere, J.E. (2004). Comparative mixture effects of JP-8(100) additives on the dermal absorption and disposition of jet fuel hydrocarbons in different membrane model systems. Toxicology Letters. 150(3): 351-365.
- Nadeem, S.M., Hussain, M., Naveed, H.N., Asghar, Z., Zahir, A. and Arshad, M. (2006). Performance of plant growth promoting rhizobacteria containing ACC-deaminase activity for improving growth of maize under salt-stressed conditions. Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 43(3-4): 114-121.
- Oktari, A., Supriatin, Y., Kamal, M. and Syafrullah, H. (2017). The bacterial endospore stain on schaeffer fulton using variation of methylene blue solution. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 812:1-6.
- Pryor, S.C., Barthelmie, R.J. and Schoof, J.T. (2009). High-resolution projections of climate- related risks for the Midwestern USA. Climate Research. 56 (1): 61-79.
- Raaijmakers, J.M., Paulitz, T.C., Steinberg, C., Alabouvette, C. and Moenne-Loccoz, Y. (2009). The rhizosphere:a playground and battlefield for soil borne pathogens and beneficial microorganisms. Plant and Soil. 321(1): 341-361.
- Rahi, P., Sharma, O.P. and Shouche, Y.S. (2016). Matrix assisted laser desorption/ionization time of flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) based microbial identifications: challenges and scopes for microbial ecologists. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7: 1359.
- Rahman, S. S., Siddique, R. and Tabassum, N. (2017). Isolation and identification of halotolerant soil bacteria from coastal Patenga area. BMC research note. 10(1): 531.
- Rajalakshmi, K. and Banu, N. (2015). Extraction and estimation of chlorophyll from medicinal plants. International Journal of Science and Research. 4(11): 209-2012.
- Rangeshwaran, R., Ashwitha, K., Sivakumar, G. and Jalali, S.K. (2013). Analysis of proteins expressed by an abiotic stress tolerant Pseudomonas putida (NBAII-RPF9) isolate under saline and high temperature conditions. Current Microbiology. 67(6): 659-667.
- Reynolds, M. and Tuberosa, R. (2008). Translational research impacting on crop productivity in drought-prone environments. Current Opinion Plant Biology. 11(2): 171-179.
- Robert, J.P. (2002). The chequered history of the development and use of simultaneous equations for the accurate determination of chlorophylls a and b. Photosynthesis Research. 73(1-3): 149-156.
- Rosenzweig, C., Elliott, J., Deryng, D., Ruane, A., Christoph, M., Arneth, A., Boote, K., Folberth, C., Glotter, M., Khabarov, N., Neumann, K., Piontek, F., Pugh, T., Schmid, E., Stehfest, E., Yang, H. and Jones, J. (2014). Assessing agricultural risks of climate change in the 21st century in a global gridded crop model intercomparison. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 111(9): 3268-3273.
- Sandhya, V. S., Grover, M., Reddy, G. and Venkateswarlu, B. (2009). Alleviation of drought stress effects in sunflower seedlings by the exopolysaccharides producing Pseudomonas putidastrain GAP-P45. Biology and Fertility of Soils. 46(1): 17-26.
- Sanghera, G.S., Wani, S.H., Hussain, W. and Singh, N.B. (2011). Engineering cold stress tolerance in crop plants. Current Genomics. 12(1): 30-43.
- Sang-Mo Kang, Shahzad, R., Bilal, S., Khan, A.L., Park, Y.G., Lee, K.E. and Lee, I.J. (2019). Indole-3-acetic-acid and ACC deaminase producing Leclercia adecarboxylata MO1 improves Solanum lycopersicum L. growth and salinity stress tolerance by endogenous secondary metabolites regulation. BMC microbiology. 19(1): 80.
- Sarma, R.K. and Saikia, R. (2014). Alleviation of drought stress in mung bean by strain Pseudomonas aeruginosa GGRJ21. Plant and Soil. 377(1-2): 111-126.
- Schenk, P.M., Carvalhais, L.C. and Kazan, K. (2012). Unraveling plant-microbe interactions: can multi-species transcriptomics help. Trends in Biotechnology. 30(3): 177-184
- Shazia, B., Oualha, M., Ashfaq, M.Y., Suleiman, M.T. and Zouari, N. (2018). Isolation, differentiation and biodiversity of ureolytic bacteria of Qatari soil and their potential in microbially induced calcite precipitation (MICP) for soil stabilization. RSC advances. 8(11): 5854-5863.
- Siddaramappa, R., Rajaram, K.P. and Sethunathan, N. (1973). Degradation of parathion by bacteria isolated from flooded soil. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 26(6): 846-849.
- Siddikee, M.A., Chauhan, P.S., Anandham, R., Han, G.H. and Sa, T. (2010). Isolation, characterization and use for plant growth promotion under salt stress, of ACC deaminase-producing halotolerant bacteria derived from coastal soil. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 20(11): 1577-1584.
- Sillanp, M. (1982). Micronutrients and the nutrient status of soils: a global study. Soil Bulletin. 48: 444.
- Singh, Y.P., Singh, S. and Singh A.K. (2017). On farm abiotic stress management in pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) and its impact on yield, economics and soil properties. Legume Research. 42(2): 190-197.
- Tares, T. and Sippola, J. (1978). Changes in PH, in electrical-electrical-conductivity and in extractable amounts of mineral elements in soil and utilization and losses of elements in some field experiment. Acta Agricultural Scandinavia. 20: 90-113.
- Tiwari, S., Singh, P., Tiwari, R., Meena, K.K., Yandigeri, M., Singh, D.P. and Arora, D.K. (2011). Salt-tolerant rhizobacteria-mediated induced tolerance in wheat (Triticum aestivum) and chemical diversity in rhizosphere enhance plant growth. Biology and Fertility of soils. 47(8): 907.
- Urquiza, C., Arvizu Hernández, I., Cruz Medina, J. A., Ramos López, M.A., Pérez Cruz, J., Rivera Zarazúa, R.L. and Jones, G.H. (2017). Identification by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry of mercury-resistant bacteria associated with the rhizosphere of an apple orchard. Geomicrobiology Journal. 34(2): 176-182.
- Vargha, M., Takats, Z., Konopka, A. and Nakatsu, C.H. (2006). Optimization of MALDI-TOF MS for strain level differentiation of Arthrobacter isolates. Journal of Microbiological Methods. 66(3): 399-409.
- Wani, S.H., Singh, N.B., Haribhushan, A. and Mir, J.I. (2013). Compatible solute engineering in plants for abiotic stress tolerance-role of glycine betaine. Current Genomics. 14(3):157-165.
- Yandigeri, M.S., Meena, K.K., Singh. D., Malviya, N., Singh, D.P., Solanki, M.K., Yadav, K. and Arora, D.K. (2012). Drought-tolerant endophytic Actinobacteria promote growth of wheat (Triticum aestivum) under water stress conditions. Plant Growth Regulation. 68(3): 411-420.
- Yonetani, S., Ohnishi, H., Ohkusu, K., Matsumoto, T. and Watanabe, T. (2016). Direct identification of microorganisms from positive blood cultures by MALDI-TOF MS using an in-house sapon in method. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 52(1): 37-42.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.