Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Effect of Various Treatments on Seed Germination and Seedling Vigour of Aonla cv. Chakaiya
First Online 16-12-2020|
Methods: The present investigation was carried out during 2019-2020 under field conditions with the pre soaking application of the aonla seeds with thiourea, GA3, cow urine, sulphuric acid, water and seed stratification for time interval of 12 and 24 hours. In the laboratory the selected samples were analysed morphologically based on shoot, root and biomass traits.
Result: Out of the various treatments the application of GA3@ 500 ppm for 24 h have ensured early germination with an increase in seed germination. This treatment also improved the seedling growth with an increase in root formationand vigour index. This study will be useful in boosting the cultivation of aonla which will be beneficial for the growers on commercial basis.
- Anburani, A. and Shakila, A. (2010). Influence of seed treatment on the enhancement of germination and seedling vigour of papaya. Acta Horticulturae. 851: 295-298.
- Bagal, A.B. (2004). Effect of various treatments on seed germination and seedling vigour in aonla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.). M Sc Thesis Mahatama Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Rahuri.
- Barathkumar, T.R. (2019). Studies on influence of different seed treatments on dormancy breaking in aonla (Phyllanthus emblica L.). Journal of Pharmacgnosy and Phytochemistry. SP2: 131-133.
- Barche, S., Kirad, K.S., Singh, D.B. (2010). Response of seed treatment on germination, growth, survivability and economics of different cultivars of papaya (Carica papaya L.). Acta Horticulturae. 851: 279-284.
- Bhavya, N., Naik, N., Kantharaju, V., Nataraj, K.H. (2017). Studies on effect of different pre-sowing treatments on germination of karonda (Carissa carandas L.) seeds. Journal of Pharmacgnosy and Phytochemistry. 6: 352-354.
- Choudhary, S.M., Kadam, A.S., Ramniwas,Chavan, D.L. (2016). Success and growth of softwood grafts of different aonla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn) varieties at nursery stage. The Bioscan. 11: 2533-2536.
- Earlplus, S.S. and Lambeth V.M. (1974). Chemical stimulation of germination rate in aged tomato seeds. Journal of Anzer Sac Horticulture Sciences. 99: 912.
- Gholap, S.V., Dod, V.N., Bhuyar, S.A., Bharad, S.G. (2000). Effect of plant growth regulators on seed germination and seedling growth in aonla (Phyllanthusemblica L.) under climatic conditions of Akola. Crop Research Hisar. 20: 546-548.
- Gurung, N., Swamy, G.S.K., Sarkar, S.K., Ubale, N.B. (2014). Effect of chemicals and growth regulators on germination, vigour and growth of passion fruit (Passifloraedulis Sims.). The Bioscan. 9: 155-157.
- Harshvardhan, A. and Rajashekhar, M. (2012). Effect of pre-sowing seed treatments on seedling growth of jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam.). Journal of Research ANGRAU 40: 87-89.
- Hartmann, H.T. and Kester, D.E. (1979). Plant Propagation: Principles and Practices. Fourth Edition, Prentice Hall of India. Ltd. 407.
- Hota, S.N., Karna, A.K., Jain, P.K., Dakhad, B. (2018). Effect of gibberellic acid on germination, growth and survival of jamun (SyzygiumcuminiL. Skeels). The Pharma Innovation. 7: 323-326.
- Kadam, A.B., Singh, D.B.,Kade, R.A. (2010). Effect of plant growth regulators and potassium nitrate on growth of seedling of Kagzi lime. Asian Journal of Horticulture. 5: 431-434.
- Kumari, R. (2006). Germination and transplanting studies in aonla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.). M. Sc. Thesis CCS Haryana Agricultural University Hisar.
- Lilabati, L. and Sahoo, U.K. (2015). Effect of pre-treatment on seed germination and seedling vigor of (Emblica officinalis Gaertn). Global Journal of Advanced Research. 2: 1520-1526.
- Manekar, R.S., Sable, T.B., Rane, M.M. (2011). Influence of different plant growth regulators on seed germination and sub sequent seedling growth of aonla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.). Green Farming. 2: 477-478.
- Mathur, D.D., Couvillon, G.A., Vines, H.M., Hendershott, C.H. (1971). Stratification effects of endogenous gibberellic acid (GA3) in peach seeds. Horticulture Sciences. 6: 538-539.
- Meena, R.R., Jain, M.C., Mukherjee, S. (2003). Effect of pre-sowing dip seed treatment with gibberellic acid on germination and survivability of papaya. Annuals of Plant Soil Research. 5: 120-121.
- Mousavi, S.R., Razaei, M., Mousavi, A. (2011).A general view of seed dormancy and methods of breaking it. Advances in Environmental Biology. 5: 3333-3337.
- Murlidhara, B.M., Reddy, Y.T.N., Akshitha, H.J., Srilatha, V. (2015). Effect of presowing treatments on germination, growth and vigour of polyembryonic mango seedlings. Environment and Ecology. 33: 1014-18.
- Pampanna, Y. and Sulikeri, G.S. (1995). Effect of growth regulators on seed germination and seedling growth of sapota. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 8: 60-64.
- Parmar, K.P., Patel, M.J., Thakkar, R.M., Tsomu, T. (2016). Influence of seed priming treatments on germination and seedling vigour of custard apple (Annona squamosa L.) cv. Local. International Quartly Journal of Life Sciences. 11: 389-393.
- Parvin, P., Khezri, M., Tavasolion, I., Hosseini, H. (2015). The effect of gibberellic acid and chilling stratification on seed germination of eastern black walnut (Juglans nigra L.). Journal of Nuts. 6: 67-76.
- Pratibha, C., Teja, T., Krishna, P.M. (2015). Effect of chemical treatments on the germination and subsequent seedling growth of papaya (Carica papaya L.) seeds cv. Pusa Nanha. Journal of Agricultural Engineering and Food Technology. 2: 189-191.
- Rajamanickam, C., Anbu, S., Balakrishnan, K. (2002). Effect of chemicals and growth regulators on seed germination in aonla (Emblica officinalis G.). South Indian Horticulture. 50: 211-214.
- Rajendrakumar, P.M. (2017). Response of soaking time and chemicals on germination and growth of tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.). M Sc ThesisNavsari Agricultural University, Navsari.
- Ratan, P.B. and Reddy, Y.N. (2004). Influence of gibberellic acid in custard apple (Annonasquamosa L.) seed germination and subsequent seedling growth. Journal of Research ANGRAU. 32: 93-95.
- Sen, S.K., Hore, I.K., Bandhopadhyay, A. (1990). Pre-sowing seed treatment and its role in germination, seedling growth and longevity of papaya. Orissa Journal of Agricultural Research. 2: 160-64.
- Shakila, A. and Ponni, C. (2008). Influence of seed treatment on germination and seedling vigour of Phyllanthusniruri.
- Vasantha, P.T., Vijendrakumar, R.C., Guruprasad, T.R., Mahadevamma, M., Santhosh, K.V. (2014). Studies on effect of growth regulators and biofertilizers on ssed germination and seedling growth of tamarind (Tamarindud indica L.). Plant Archives. 14: 155-60.
- Venkatrao and Reddy, Y.T.N. (2005). Effect of osmopriming on germination, seedling growth and vigour of mango (Mangifera indica L.) stones. Karnataka Journal of Horticulture. 1: 29-35.
- Verma, R., Pandey, C.S., Pandey, S.K., Sahu, K. (2019). Influence of pre-sowing treatment and growing conditions on growth performance of Indian gooseberry seedlings (Emblica officinalis Gaertn). International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 8: 1936-1948.
- Yadav, R.S., Sharma, T.R., Pandey, S.K., Maske, G. (2018). Effect of GA3 and cow urine on germination and morphology of custard apple. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 6: 1131-1134.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.