Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Effect of Application of Different Quality Water through Pitcher Irrigation and Tillage Types on Tomato Production and Soil Properties of Coastal Saline Soil of West Bengal
First Online 29-09-2020|
Methods: In this experiment different quality water through pitcher irrigation and tillage types were taken from coastal saline soil. The effects of yield factor, soil chemical properties of saline soil were studied using pitcher irrigation and tillage types.
Result: Results indicate that soil physical and chemical properties were all significantly improved by different pitcher irrigation with tillage practices. Results also showed that present experiment favoring better soil conditions, nutrient availabilities towards better growth and yield of crops. Our study suggests that blending of saline with freshwater in presence of mulch tillage can provide the best estimation in the improving soil properties and tomato production above the coastal saline soil.
- Adhikary, R., Garnayak, R., Bera, M. and Pal, A. (2020). Soil nutrient Status of gosani block under Gajapati district, Odisha. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology. 13(1): 75-79. DOI: 10.30954/0974-1712.1.2020.9
- Bainbridge, D. A. (2001). Buried clay pot irrigation: a little known but very efficient traditional method of irrigation. Agricultural Water Management. 48: 79-88.
- Batchelor. C., Lovell, C. and Murata, M. (1997). Simple microirrigation techniques for improving irrigation efficiency on vegetable gardens. Agricultural Water Management. 32: 37-48.
- Bhattacharyya, R., Prakash,V., Kundu, S., Srivastav, A.K. and Gupta, H.S. (2004). Effect of long – term manuring on soil organic carbon, bulk density and water relation characteristics under soybean – wheat cropping sequence in North-western Himalayas. Journal Indian Society Soil Science. 52(3): 238-242.
- Bhingardeve, S.D.; V.M. Karadel and P.R. Patil, (2006). Influence of saline, canal water and n-fertilizer level through drip irrigation on ph, ece of soil and plant height at different growth stages of brinjal. Journal of Soils Crops. 16: 100-103.
- Choudhary, M.R., Gajri, P.R., Prihar, S.S. and Khera, R. (1985). Effect of deep tillage on soil physical properties and maize yield on coarse textured soils. Soil Tillage Research. 6(1): 31-44, https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-1987(85)90004-2.
- FAOSTAT (2008). http://faostat.fao.org/site/339/default.aspx.A,
- Giovannucci, E. (1999). Tomatoes, Tomato-Based Products, Lycopene and Cancer: Review of the epidemiologic literature. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 91: 317-331.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research (2nd Edn.). John Wiley and Sons, New York. pp. 680.
- Hangarge, D., S., Raut, S.D., More., S.D., Birajdar, R.R. and Pholane, L.P. (2002). Effect of Vermicompost and soil conditioner on some physical properties of soil under chilli – Spinach System. Soil and Crops. 12(1): 41-45.
- Himabindu, K., Gurumurthy P., Prasad, P.K. and Martin Luther, M. (2019). Available macronutrient status of soils in various cropping systems of Thotapalli irrigation project ayacut of North coastal Andhra Pradesh. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 53(4): 429-434.
- Jackson. (1973). Soil chemical analysis. Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, pp. 48-302.
- Kumari, A.L. and Lakshmi, G.S. (2012). Survey of tomato growing areas inAndhrapradesh for variations in input and yield levels and soil properties. Journal of Soil Science. 5(1): 133-136.
- Mondal, R.C. (1983). Salt tolerance of tomato grown around earthen pitchers. Indian Journal of Agricultural Science. 53(5): 380-382.
- Mondal, R.C. (1984). Pitcher farming techniques for use of saline waters. Annual Report Central Soil and Salinity. 5: 12-15.
- Mutanen, M.., Pajari, A.M., Levy., J. Walfisch, S., Atzmon, A., Hirsch, K.., Khanin, M., Linnewiel, K., Morag, Y., Salman, H., Veprik, A., Danilenko., Sharoni, Y. (2011). The role of tomato lycopene in cancer prevention. In Vegetables, Whole Grains and Their Derivatives in Cancer Prevention, Springer, Netherlands. 2: 47-66.
- Olsen, S.R. and Sommers, L.E. (1982). Phosphorous. In: Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2, Soil Science Society of America. Madison, pp. 403-430.
- Orji. O.A. and Eke, I.P. (2018) Effect of mulch materials on soil physico-chemical properties and the performance of castor bean plant (Ricinus communis) in rivers state, Nigeria. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 52 (6): 649-654.
- Pal, A., Adhikary, R. (2020). Improving of Phosphorus use Efficiency in Acid and Alkaline Soil: a Critical Review Study. Indian Journal of Natural Sciences. 10(59): 18558-18562.
- Setiawan,B.I.., Saleh. E. and Nurhidayat, Y. (1998). Pitcher irrigation system for horticulture in dry lands. Water and Land Resources Development and Management for Sustainable Use Vol-II A The Tenth ICID Afro Asian Regional Conference on Irrigation and Drainage, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, 19-26.
- Singh, D.P., Mahata, K.R., Saha, S. and Ismail, A.M. (2010). Crop diversification for improving water productivity and rural livelihoods in coastal saline soils of the Mahanadi Delta, India. Tropical deltas and coastal zones: Food production, communities an environment at the land and water interface. 249-263.
- Singh, R.P. and Mishra, A. (2012). Available macronutrients in soils of Chiragaon block of district Varanasi (UP) in relation to soil characteristics. Indian Journal of Soil Research. 37: 97-100.
- Stein T.M. (1998). Development and evaluation of design criteria for pitcher irrigation systems (translation of original title). Selbstverlag des Verbandesder Tropenlandwirte. 66: 48-69.
- Stein. T.M. (1997). The influence of evaporation, hydraulic conductivity, wall-thickness and surface area on the seepage rates of pitchers for pitcher irrigation, Journal of Applied Irrigation Science. 32: 65-83.
- Subbiah, B.V. and Asija, G.L. (1956). A rapid procedure for the estimation of available nitrogen in soils. Current Science. 25: 259-260.
- Tesfaye, T., Tesfaye. K. and Woldetsadik, K. (2011). Clay pot irrigation for tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum M) production in the north east semiarid region of Ethiopia. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics. 112(1): 11-18.
- Walkley, A. and Black, I. A. (1934). An examination of the Degtjareff method for determining soil organic matter, a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method. Soil Science. 37: 29-38
- Yihenew, G. S., Fentanesh, A. and Solomon, A. (2015). Effects of land use types management practices and slope classes on selected soil physicochemical properties in Zikre watershed, North- Western Ethiopia. Environmental System Research. 4: 3-9.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.