Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Water-stress Screening in Blackgram [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper] Genotypes using Polyethylene Glycol 6000 at Seedling Growth Stage
First Online 10-11-2020|
Methods: An experiment was conducted to study the effect of water stress on seedling growth in twenty-one blackgram [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper] genotypes at the pot culture yard of Annamalai University during March 2018. The water stress was created by using Polyethylene Glycol (6000 MW) in different concentrations (0%, 10% and 20%). Different phenotypic characters were recorded such as shoot length, root length, shoot fresh weight, root fresh weight, shoot dry weight and root dry weight at two different levels of treatment and control. The experiment was laid in a completely randomized design with two replications.
Result: The combined analysis of variance revealed significant differences (p<0.001) among genotypes, treatments and genotypes × treatments interaction. The highest stress tolerance index (STI) was recorded by the genotype ADT-5. Based on clustering and ranking, the genotypes ADT-5, KGB-28, RU-16-9, VBG-10010 and VBG-12062 were classified as drought-tolerant. Overall, pot culture screening of 21 blackgram genotypes for drought tolerance at seedling stage using various concentrations of PEG 6000 resulted in the identification of drought-tolerant genotypes, where ADT-5 showed the highest tolerance followed by KGB-28 and RU-16-9.
- Almansouri, M., Kinet, J.M., Lutts, S. (2001). Effect of salt and osmotic stresses on germination in durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf.). Plant and Soil. 231(2): 243-254.
- Anaytullah, Bose, B. and Yadav, R.S. (2007). PEG induced moisture stress: screening for drought tolerance in rice. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology. 12(1): 88-90.
- Babu, K. and Rosaiah, G. (2017). A study on germination and seedling growth of Blackgram [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper] germplasm against Polyethylene glycol 6000 stress. Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. 12(5): 90-98.
- Bewley, J.D. and Black, M. (1994). Seeds Physiology of development and Germination. 3rd Edition, Plenum Press, New York. 445p.
- Bibi, H., Sadaqat, A., Tahir, M.H.N., Akram, H.M. (2012). Screening of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor var moench) for drought tolerance at seedling stage in polyethylene glycol. The J. Animal Plant Sci. 22(3): 671-678.
- Carpita, N., Sabularse, D., Montezinos, D., Delmer, D.P. (1979). Determination of pore size of cell walls of living plant cells. Science. 205(4411): 1144-7.
- Delanchiave, M.E.A and de Pinho, S.Z. (2003). Scarification, temperature and light in germination of Senna occidentalis seed (Caesalpinaceae). Seed science and Technology. 31(2): 225-230.
- Deshmukh, R.N., Laware, S.L., Dhumal, K.N. (2001). Metabolic alterations in Sorghum bicolor under water stress. Journal of Maharashtra Agricultural Universities. 50-53.
- Dezfuli, P.M., Sharif-zadeh, F., Janmohammadi, M. (2008). Influence of priming techniques on seed germination behavior of maize inbred lines (Zea mays L.). Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science. 3(3): 22-25.
- Fernandez, G.C.J. (1992). Effective selection criteria for assessing stress tolerance. In: Proceeding of the international Symposium on Adaptation of Vegetables and other food Crops in Temperature and Water stress, 13-18 Aug, Tainan, Taiwan. pp. 257-270.
- Hadas A. (2004). Seedbed Preparation: The Soil Physical Environment of Germinating Seeds. In: Handbook of Seed Physiology: Applications to Agriculture, [Benech-Arnold, R.L. and R.A. Sanchez (Eds.)]. Food Product Press, New York, pp 3-49.
- Khan, M.I., Shabbir, G., Akram, Z., Shah, M.K.N., Ansar, M., Cheema, N.M., Iqbal M. S. (2013). Character association studies of seedling traits in different wheat genotypes under moisture stress conditions. SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics. 45 (3): 458-467.
- Kramer, P. J. (1983). Water Relations of Plants. (Academic, New York).
- Larson, L. and Kiemnec, G. (1997). Differential germination by dimorphic achenes of yellow starthistle (Centaurea solstitialis L.) under water stress. Journal of Arid Environments. 37: (1): 107-114.
- Pratap, V. and Sharma, Y.K. (2010). Impact of osmotic stress on seed germination and seedling growth in black gram (Phaseolus mungo). Journal of Environmental Biology. 31(5): 721-6.
- Rauf, M., Munir, M., Hassan, M., Ahmad, M., Afzal, M. (2007). Performance of wheat genotypes under osmotic stress at germination and early seedling growth stage. African Journal of Biotechnology. 6(8): 971-975.
- Shalhevet, J., Huck, M.G., Schroeder, B.P. (1995). Root and Shoot Growth Responses to Salinity in Maize and Soybean. Agronomy Journal. 87(3): pp. 512-516.
- Verslues, P.E. and Bray, E.A. (2004). LWR1 and LWR2 are required for osmoregulation and osmotic adjustment in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology. 136: 761-764.
- Wenkert, W., Lemon, E.R., Sinclair, T.R. (1978). Leaf elongation and turgor pressure in field; Grown soybean. Agron. J. 70: 761-764.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.