Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Genetic Variability, Correlation and Path Analysis among Quantitative and Qualitative Traits of Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum L.)
First Online 10-11-2020|
Methods: The 30 genotypes of Opium poppy including different breeding lines and landraces collected from different places were grown in year (2017-18) in randomized complete-block designs (RCBD) with three replications at the research farm of CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), Lucknow. Morpho-metric data were recorded on five competitive randomly selected plants in each line for following thirteen traits. Dried husk/straw capsules were chemically analyzed through HPLC. The pooled mean data were statistically analysed by using Windostat statistical software 4.0 versions available at Department of Genetics and Plant Breeding, CSIR-CIMAP Lucknow.
Result: Variation among the mean of thirty diverse genetic stocks was highly significant (p<0.01) for all thirteen traits. High heritability coupled with high Genetic advance as percent mean (GAM) and Genotypic coefficient of variation (GCV) for the traits Thebaine and Nosacapine. The results of associations studies revealed that the trait capsule/plant was positively and significantly correlated with seed (g)yield/plant (gm) and nosacapine at both genotypic and phenotypic level. According to results, a significant genetic variability was also present among 30 accessions, simple selection can be employed to improve seed yield along with alkaloids yield.
- Acharya, H.S. and Sharma, V. (2009). Molecular characterization of opium poppy (Papaver somniferum) germplasm. American Journal of Infectious Diseases. 5: 148-153.
- Bhandari, M.M. (1990). Out crossing in Opium Poppy (P. somniferum L.). Euphytica. 48(2): 167-169.
- Bhandari, M.M., Gupta, R., Sharma, P.P. and Joshi, A. (1997). Path analysis in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.). Indian J. Genet. 57: 14-18.
- Celik, I., Camci, H., Kose, A., Kosar, F.C., Doganlar, S. and Frary, A. (2016). Molecular genetic diversity and association mapping of morphine content and agronomic traits in Turkish opium poppy (Papaver somniferum) germplasm. Molecular Breeding. 36 (4): 1-3.
- Dewey, D.I. and Lu, K.H. (1959). A correlation and path-coefficient analysis of components of crested wheat grass seed production. Agronomy Journal. 51:515-518. http://dx. doi.org/10.2134/agronj1959.000219620051000900 02x.
- Dubey, R.B. (2010). Correlation and path analysis in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum). Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plant Sciences. 32(3): 212-216.
- Facchini, P.J. and Park, S.U. (2003). Developmental and inducible accumulation of gene transcripts involved in alkaloid biosynthesis in opium poppy. Phytochemistry. 64: 177-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(03)00292-9.
- Gupta, M.M. and Verma, R.K. (1996). Combined thin-layer chromatography-densitometry method for the quantitative estimation of major alkaloids in poppy straw samples. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 58 (4):161.
- Jain, D.K., Jain, S.K., Bordia, P.C. and Joshi, A. (2005). Study of genetic variability and correlation in germplasm of opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.). Research on Crops. 6: 112-115.
- Khanna, K.R. and Shukla, S. (1983). The degree of out crossing in Opium Poppy. New Botanist. 10: 65-67.
- Khatik, C.L. and Dodiya, N.S. (2019). Heterosis and combining ability in opium poppy. Lap Lambert Academic Publishing, ISBN-10: 6139881722, ISBN-13: 978-6139881727, pages-128, https://www.lap-publishing.com/
- Kara, N. and Baydar, H. (2018). Examining of Relationships among Traits using Correlation, Path and Principal Components Analysis Methods in Turkish Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum L.) Cultivars. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 24: 286-295
- Mishra, B.K., Rastogi, A., Siddiqui, A., Srivastava, M., Verma,N., Pandey, R., Sharma, N.C. and Shukla, S. (2013). Opium Poppy: Genetic Upgradation through Intervention of Plant Breeding Techniques. Licensee In Tech, 8:209-238. http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/53132.
- Mirjana, J., Sonja, I., Gjoshe, S., Jelena, A., Ljupcho, J. and Dane, B. (2012). Interrelationship between seed and capsule yield and yield contributing characters in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.). Agrarni Nauki. 4: 13-17.
- Ozturk, O. and Gunlu, H. (2008). Determining relationships amongst morphine, capsule and oil yield using path coefficient analysis in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.). Asian Journal of Chemistry. 20: 2979-2988.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1976). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. ICAR, New Delhi, pp. 361.
- Shukla, S., Yadav, H.K., Rastogi, A., Mishra, B.K. and Singh, S.P. (2010). Diversity in relation to breeding for specific alkaloids in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.). Czech Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding. 46: 164-169.
- Singh, S.P. and Singh, H.N. (1981). Gene system involved and their implication in breeding lablab bean (Dolichos lablab). Z Pflanzenzuchtung. 87: 240-247.
- Singh, R.K. and Chaudhary, B.D. (1979). Variance and covariance analysis: Biometrical methods in quantitative genetic analysis. Kalyani Publisher, New Delhi (India), pp. 57.
- Singh, S.P., Shukla, S. and Yadav, H.K. (2004). Genetic studies and their implication to breed desired plant type in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.). Genetika. 36(1): 69-81.
- Shukla, S., Yadav, H.K. and Singh, S.P. (2003). Path coefficient analysis for seed yield in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences India. Section B, Biological Sciences.73: 83-88.
- Singh, S.K. and Singh, O.P. (2008). Character association among some morphological traits and path coefficient analysis in opium poppy. Advances in Plant Sciences. 21: 147-150.
- Singh, O.P., Singh, T.P., Yadav, A.L. and Yadav, P.N. (2000). Genetic variability, genotypic and phenotypic correlation in germplasm of opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.). Advances in Plant Sciences. 13: 69-73.
- Solanki, G., Dodiya, N.S. and Khatik, C.L. (2014). Variability and Path analysis in Opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L). Research Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 5(6): 1084-1088.
- Yadav, H.K., Shukla, S. and Singh, S.P. (2005). Character association and genetic variability for quantitative and qualitative traits in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L). Journal of Genetics and Breeding. 59: 303-312.
- Yadav, H.K., Shukla, S. and Singh, S.P. (2006). Genetic variability and interrelationship among opium and its alkaloids in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.). Euphytica. 150: 207-214.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.