Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Effect of Foliar Application of Sulphur and Integrated Nutrient Management on Yield, Quality and Economics of Bed Transplanted Canola (Brassica napus L.)
First Online 29-09-2020|
Methods: A field experiment was conducted on sandy loam soil during winter (Rabi) season of 2017-18 and 2018-19 at Student’s Research Farm, Khalsa college, Amritsar to study the effect of foliar application of sulphur and integrated nutrient management on yield, quality and economics of bed transplanted canola (Brassica napus L.). Canola variety GSC 7 was sown by transplanting method on beds at spacing of 30 cm × 10 cm under Randomized Complete Block Design (RCBD) with 6 treatment combinations of organic (Vermicompost and pressmud), inorganic and foliar fertilizer were used under three replications.
Result: The results revealed that treatment containing 100% RDF + 40 kgha-1 sulphur + 1% foliar sulphur spray (T2) led to maximum siliqua length (8.5 cm), no. of siliqua plant-1 (547.5), no. of seed siliqua-1 (28.8), test weight (4.64 g), seed yield (24.92 q ha-1) and stover yield (78.53 q ha-1) whereas treatment consisting 100% N through vermicompost + 40 kgha-1 sulphur + 1% foliar sulphur spray (T3) led to highest quality attributes i.e. oil content (43.73%), protein content (30.8%) in seed which was at par with 100% N through pressmud + 40 kgha-1 S + 1% foliar sulphur spray (T4) which also resulted highest sulphur content (0.48%) in seed. The maximum gross return (Rs. 104664 ha-1), net return (Rs. 59049 ha-1) and benefit cost rato (1.29) obtained from treatment containing 100% RDF + 40 kgh-1 sulphur + 1% foliar sulphur spray (T2). It was observed that foliar application of sulphur enhanced the yield whereas application of organic manures improved the quality of canola.
- Ahmad, G., Jan, A., Arif M., Jan, M.T., Shah, H. (2011). Effect of nitrogen and sulphur fertilization on yield components, seed and oil yield of canola. Journal of Plant Nutrition. 34: 2069-2082.
- Ali, N., Anjum, M.M., Afridi. M.Z. (2016). Effect of Ammonium Sulphate Foliar Spray on Grain Yield and Yield Quality of Canola. Austin Food Sci. 1(6): ID 1026, 3 pages.
- Anjum, M.M., Ali, N., Afridi, M.Z., Shafi, M. (2017). Phenological traits of canola in response to different concenterations of ammonium sulphate foliar spray. Agri Res and Tech: Open Access J. 6(3): ARTOAJ.MS.ID.555689.
- Babu, M.V.S., Reddy, C.M., Subramanyam, A., Balaguravaiah, D. (2007). Effect of integrated use of organic and inorganic fertilizers on soil properties and yield of sugarcane. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science. 55: 161-166.
- De Pascale, S.A., Maggio. F., Orsini, A., Bottino, Barbieri, G. (2008). Sulphur fertilization affects yield and quality of Brassica rape grown on a floating system. J. Hort. Sci. and Biotech. 83: 743-748.
- Dhruw, S.S., Swaroop, N., Swamy, A., Upadhayay, Y. (2017). Effects of different levels of NPK and sulphur on growth and yield attributes of mustard (Brassica juncea L.) Cv. Varuna. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 6(8): 1089-1098.
- Duary, B. and Ghosh, A.K. (2013). Effect of different levels of nitrogen and foliar spray of DAP on toria grown as utera Crop in rice-toria cropping system. Int J of Bio-resource and Stress Management. 4(1):019-022.
- Kansotia, B., Meena, R.S., Meena, V.S. (2013). Effect of vermicompost and inorganic fertilizers on Indian mustard (Brassica juncea L.). An Asian J of Soil Sci. 8(1): 136-139.
- Meena, D.S., Meena, V.R., Meena, A.K. (2013). Fertilizer management studies on growth and productivity of hybrid Indian mustard (Brassica juncea L.) J. Oilseed Brassica. 4(1): 39-42.
- Mehriya, M.L. and Khangarot, S.S. (2000). Response of mustard (Brassica juncea L. Czern and Coss) to sulphur and growth regultors. Ann. Arid zone. 39(1): 81-82.
- Mishra, S.K. (2001). Effect of sulphur and zinc on yield, uptake of nutrients and quality of mustard. Annals of Plant and Soil Research. 3: 206-213.
- Ngezimana, W. and Agenbag, G.A. (2013). Effects of nitrogen (N) and sulphur (S) on canola (Brassica napus L.) vegetative and reproductive growth under controlled conditions. African J of Agril R. 8(39): 4887-4894.
- Parihar, S., Kameriya, P.R., Choudhary, R. (2016). Computation of correlations of fortified vermicompost with sulphur on seed yield and nutrient content of mustard [Brassica juncea]. Journal of Applied and Natural Science. 8(2): 939-944.
- Piri, I., Rahimi, A., Tavassoli, A., Rastegaripour, F., Babaeian, M. (2012). Effect of sulphur fertilizer on sulphur uptake and forage yield of Brassica juncea in condition of different regemes of irrigation. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 7(6): 958-963.
- Sattar, A., Cheema, M.A., Wahid, M.A., Saleem, M.F., Hassan, M. (2011). Interactive effect of sulphur and nitrogen on growth, yield and quality of canola. Crop Environ. 2: 32-37.
- Scherer, HW. (2001). Sulphur in crop production - invited paper. European J of Agron. 14: 81-111.
- Sharifi, R.S. (2012). Sulphur fertilizer effects on grain yield and the sum of physiological indices of canola (Brassica napus) L. Annals of Biological Research. 3(11): 5034-5041.
- Shekhawat, K., Rathore, S.S., Premi, O.P., Kandpal, B.K., Chauhan, J.S. (2012). Advances in agronomic management of Indian mustard [Brassica juncia (L.) Czernj. Cosson]: An overview. Int. J of Agronomy, Article ID: 408284, 14 pages.
- Simsek-Ersahin, Y. (2011). The Use of vermicompost Products to Control Plant Diseases and Pests. In: Karaca A (ed) Biology of Earthworms, Soil Biology Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Singh, V., Chaudhrt, S., Verma, V.K., Srivastava, A.K., Aslam, M., Thaneshwar. (2014). Studies on integrated nutrient management in mustard [Brassica juncea (L.) Czern and Cosson] Int J of Agril Sci. 10 (2): 667-670.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.