Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Crop adaptation to air pollution ii. tolerance to so2 stress is regulated by oxidative and antioxidative characteristics and sulphur assimilation
First Online 11-06-2019|
- Allgrove, J., and Davison, G. (2014). Dark chocolate/cocoa polyphenols and oxidative stress. In: Polyphenols in Human Health and Disease. Academic Press. (pp. 241-251).
- Borland, A. M., and Lea, P. J. (1991). The response of enzymes of nitrogen and sulphur metabolism in barley to low doses of sulphur dioxide. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 33(3): 281-292.
- Castillo, F. J., Penel, C., and Greppin, H. (1984). Peroxidase release induced by ozone in Sedum album leaves: involvement of Ca2+. Plant Physiology, 74(4): 846-851.
- Chaitanya, K. K., and Naithani, S. C. (1994). Role of superoxide, lipid peroxidation and superoxide dismutase in membrane perturbation during loss of viability in seeds of Shorea robusta Gaertn. f. New Phytologist, 126(4): 623-627.
- Chauhan, A., and Joshi, P. C. (2010). Effect of ambient air pollutants on wheat and mustard crops growing in the vicinity of urban and industrial areas. New York Science Journal, 3(2): 52-60.
- Democker, J. (2010) Effects of Air Pollutants on Ecological Resources: Literature Review and Case Studies. Perspective, 1, 2.
- Emberson, L., Ashmore, M., and Murray, F. (2003). Air Pollution Impacts on Crops and Forests: a Global Assessment. Imperial College Press.
- Gupta, C. K., and Singh, B. (2017). Uninhibited biosynthesis and release of phytosiderophores in the presence of heavy metal (HM) favors HM remediation. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24(10): 9407-9416.
- Heath, R. L., and Packer, L. (1968). Photoperoxidation in isolated chloroplasts: I. Kinetics and stoichiometry of fatty acid peroxidation. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 125(1): 189-198.
- Hongfa, C., Shu, J., Shu, Y., Gao, Y., Gao, J., and Zhang, L. (1999). Effects of sulfur dioxide and acid deposition on Chinese crop. Environmental Pollution and Plant Responses. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, 295-305.
- Kredich, N. M., and Tomkins, G. M. (1966). The enzymic synthesis of L-cysteine in Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 241(21): 4955-4965.
- Kumar, P., Sharma, V., Atmaram, C. K., and Singh, B. (2017). Regulated partitioning of fixed carbon (14 C), sodium (Na+), potassium (K+) and glycine betaine determined salinity stress tolerance of gamma irradiated pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp]. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24(8): 7285-7297.
- Malhotra, S. S., and Hocking, D. (1976). Biochemical and cytological effects of sulphur dioxide on plant metabolism. New Phytologist, 76(2): 227-237.
- Milchunas, D. G., Lauenroth, W. K., Dodd, J. L., and McNary, T. J. (1981). Effects of SO _2 exposure with nitrogen and sulphur fertilization on the growth of Agropyron smithii. Journal of Applied Ecology, 291-302.
- Mukherjee, S. P., and Choudhuri, M. A. (1983). Implications of water stress induced changes in the levels of endogenous ascorbic acid and hydrogen peroxide in Vigna seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum, 58(2): 166-170.
- Muneer, S., Park, Y., Manivannan, A., Soundararajan, P., and Jeong, B. (2014). Physiological and proteomic analysis in chloroplasts of Solanum lycopersicum L. under silicon efficiency and salinity stress. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 15(12): 21803-21824.
- Prasad, B. J., and Rao, D. N. (1982). Relative sensitivity of a leguminous and a cereal crop to sulphur dioxide pollution. Environmental Pollution Series A, Ecological and Biological, 29(1): 57-70.
- Rabl, A., Spadaro, J. V., and Zoughaib, A. (2008). Environmental impacts and costs of solid waste: a comparison of landfill and incineration. Waste Management and Research, 26(2): 147-162.
- Randewig, D., Hamisch, D., Herschbach, C., Eiblmeier, M., Gehl, C., Jurgeleit, J., and Haensch, R. (2012). Sulfite oxidase controls sulfur metabolism under SO2 exposure in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell and Environment, 35(1): 100-115.
- Rao, M. V., Paliyath, G., Ormrod, D. P., Murr, D. P., and Watkins, C. B. (1997). Influence of salicylic acid on H2O2 production, oxidative stress, and H2O2-metabolizing enzymes (salicylic acid-mediated oxidative damage requires H2O2). Plant Physiology, 115(1): 137-149.
- Sha, C., Wang, T., and Lu, J. (2010). Relative sensitivity of wetland plants to SO2 pollution. Wetlands, 30(6): 1023-1030.
- Snedecor, G.W. Cochran, W.G. (1980) Analysis of variance. Statistical methods, 215-237.
- Teranishi, Y., Tanaka, A., Osumi, M., & Fukui, S. (1974). Catalase activities of hydrocarbon-utilizing Candida yeasts. Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, 38(6): 1213-1220.
- Varshney, S. R. K., and Varshney, C. K. (1984). Effects of SO2 on ascorbic acid in crop plants. Environmental Pollution Series A, Ecological and Biological, 35(4): 285-290.
- Zhu, D. B., Hu, K. D., Guo, X. K., Liu, Y., Hu, L. Y., Li, Y. H., and Zhang, H. (2015). Sulfur dioxide enhances endogenous hydrogen sulfide accumulation and alleviates oxidative stress induced by aluminum stress in germinating wheat seeds. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2015, 612363. doi:10.1155/2015/612363
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.