Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Bioconversion of Shrimp Shell Waste into Compost Preparation and its Plant Growth Study
First Online 22-04-2021|
Methods: This experiment was conducted within the period of 2017-2018 in Department of Microbiology, Kamaraj college, Thoothukudi. 1Kg of dried shrimp shell waste powder was used for the compost preparation using chitinolytic bacteria Bacillus licheniformis SSCL10. The present study shrimp shell wastes were composted into manure with adding chitinolytic Bacillus licheniformis SSCL10. After 90 days of composting, the compost was dried at room temperature and used as manure for plant study. The growth study of ladies finger (Abelmoschus esculents L.) was analyzed in shrimp shell compost and also along with other composts (SSC + CD and SSC + CD+CP).
Result: In our study, nitrogen, phosphorus and potash content were increased in the shrimp shell composts (SSC) with adding chitinase producing bacterium (Bacillus licheniformis SSCL10) when compared with control soil. The maximum plant growth performances were showed in the SSC+CD (cow dung) compared to combination of CP (coir pith), shrimp shell composts (SSC) alone and control. So shrimp shell compost is used as supplements for other compost to induce plant growth performances.
- Abirami, S., Yogalsakshmi, K., Pushpa, A.S.R. and Kannan, M. (2016). Screening and identification of chitin degrading bacteria from shrimpshell waste dumping soil environment and its media optimization for chitinase enzyme production. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 5(11): 743-757.
- Amar, N., Lustig, G., Ichimura, Y., Ohsumi, Y., Elazar, Z. (2006). Two newly identified sites in the ubiquitin-like protein Atg8 are essential for autophagy. EMBO Rep. 7(6): 635-42.
- Anuradha, V. and Revathi, K. (2013). Purification and Characterization of Bacterial Chitinase isolated from Crustacean Shells Int. J. Pure App. Biosci. 1(4): 1-11.
- Balraj, T.H., Palani, S. and Arumugam, G. (2014). Influence of Gunapaselam, a liquid fermented fish waste on the growth characteristics of Solanum melongena. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 6(12): 58-66.
- Bansal, U.K., Saini, R.G., Kaur, A. (1999). Genetic variability in leaf area and chlorophyll content of aromatic rice. Int. Rice Res. Notes. 24(1): 21.
- Bell, N.I., Watson, R.N. and Sarathchandra, S.U. (2000). Suppression of plant parasitic nematodes in pastoral soils amended with chitin. New Zealand Plant Protection. 53: 44-47.
- Boussemart, J.P., Leleu, H., Ojo, O. (2013). The spread of pesticide practices amongcost-efficient farmers. Environ. Model. Assess. 18: 523-532.
- Cato, J.C. (1992). Composting and using by-products from blue crab and calico scallop processing plants in Florida. Florida Sea Grant College Program. pp. 13: 40.
- Duncan, D.B. (1955). Multiple ranges and multiple F test. Biometrics. 11: 1-42.
- Faramarzi, M.A., Fazeli, M., Yazdi, M.T., Adrangi, S., Al-Ahmadi, K.J., Tasharrofi, N., Mohseni, F.A. (2009). Optimization of cultural conditions for production of chitinase by a soil isolate Massilia timonae. Biotechnol Bioseparation. 8(1): 93-99.
- Hu, Z., Lane, R. and Wen, Z. (2009). Composting clam processing wastes in a laboratory- and pilot-scale invessel system. Waste Management. 29: 180-185.
- Iwase, K., Umezawa, Y. and Musada, K. (2000). Cultivation of Pleurotus ostreatus with beerspent grains and utilization. Mushroom Sci. 15(2): 819-826.
- Jonathan, S.G., Oyetunji, O.J., Olawuyi, O.J. and Uwukhor, P.O. (2013). Application of Pleurotus ostreatus SMC as soil conditioner for the growth of soybean (Glycine max) Academia Arena. 5(1).
- Kalpana, K., Kodukkur, V.P. (2011). Antihyperglycemic effect of the alcoholic seed extract of wietenia macrophylla on streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Pharmacognosy Res. 3(1): 67-71.
- Krishnaveni, B. and Ragunathan, R. (2014). Chitinase production from Seafood wastes by Plant pathogen Bionectria CBNR BKRR sps and its application in Bioremediation studies. International Research Journal of Medical Sciences. Vol. 2(11): 15-19, November (2014).
- Mejia-Saules, J.M., Waliszewski, K.N., Garcia, M.A. and Cruz-Camarillo, R. (2006). The use of crude shrimp shell powder for chitinase production by Serratia marcescens WF, Food Technol. Biotechnol. 44(7): 646-651.
- Ravi Kumar, M.N.V. (2000). A review of chitin and chitosan applications, Reactive and Functional Polymers. 46: 1-27.
- Rekha S., Chandrashekhara S., Prateek Bishti and Vineethchandy (2013). Synthesis, characterization and evaluation of In-Vitro and In-Vivo anti inflammatory activity of novel benzimidazole derivatives International journal of pharmacy and life sciences. 4(7).
- Sakai, K., Yokota, A., Kurokawa, H., Wakayama, M. and Moriguchi, M. (1998). Puri¢cation and characterization of three thermostable endochitinases of a noble Bacillus strain MH-1, isolated from chitin containing compost. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 64: 3397^3402.
- Sanchez, P.A. (2002). Soil fertility and hunger in Africa. Science 295: 2019-2020.
- Sharma, A.R. and Mittra, B.N. (1991).Journal of Agricultural Science, 117: 313 - 318.
- Stoffella, P.J. and Kahn, B.A. (2000). Compost Utilization in Horticultural Cropping Systems. London.
- Taiek, T., Boutaleb, N., Bahlaouan, B., El Jaafari, A., Khrouz, H., Safi, A., El Antri, S. (2014). Valorisation de déchets de poisson alliés à des rejets brassicolesen vue d’obtenir un biofertilisant. Déchets Sciences et Techniques. N°68. November.
- Thoden, T.C., Korthals, G.W., Termorshuizen, A.J. (2011). Organic amendments and their influences on plant-parasitic and free-living nematodes: a promising method for nematode management? Nematology. 13: 133-153.
- Xu, M-G., Li, D-C., Li, J-M., Qin, D-Z., Kazuyuki, Y., Yasukazu, H. (2008). Effects of Organic Manure Application with Chemical Fertilizers on Nutrient Absorption and Yield of Rice in Hunan of Southern China.
- Zar, J.H., (1984). In Bio Statistical Analysis, Englewood Cliffes, N.J; Prentice hall. Inc. 3: 123 - 129.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.