Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Heterosis, Potence Ratio and Correlation of Vegetative, Yield and Quality Traits in Tomato Genotypes and their Performance under Arid Region
First Online 19-01-2021|
Methods: Four commercial tomato cultivars (Money Maker, Pakmore VF, Strain-B and Tanshet Star) and two breeding lines (L05960 and TL01899) and their 15 F1 hybrids, using a half-diallel cross, under arid conditions were used to estimate heterosis, potence ratio and correlation coefficients among all possible pairs of important tomato traits.
Result: various degrees of dominance effects for some traits were detected in the general performances of the F1 hybrids, while, other traits illustrated the presence of partial- to under-recessiveness. Heterosis percentages reflected positive desirable effects in ten F1 hybrids for some traits. Most F1 hybrids outperformed their respective parents for fruit set, fruit length, fruit diameter, total soluble solids, fruit dry weight, number of fruits per plant and total fruit yield per plant. Some of the genotypes (i.e., parents and/ or hybrids) offer opportunities as a genetic source of heat tolerant breeding genetic material adapted to high temperature under the arid conditions reported in this study. Significant positive and desirable correlations were found between 41 possible pairs of traits, whereas significant negative and undesirable correlations were found between 13 possible pairs of the traits.
- Abdelmageed, A.H.A. and Gruda, N. (2009). Performance of different tomato genotypes in the arid tropics of Sudan during the summer season II. Generative development. J. Agric. and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics. 2: 147-154.
- Ahmed, S., Quamruzzaman, K.M., Islam, M.R. (2011). Estimate of heterosis in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum, L). Bangaladesh J. Agric. Res. 36: 521-527.
- Al-Aysh, F., Al-Serhan, M., Al-Shareef, A., Al-Nasser, M., Kutma, H. (2012). Study of genetic parameters and trait interrelationship of yield and some yield components in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.). Inter. J. Gene. 2: 29-33.
- Al-Rawi, K.M. and Khalf-Allah, A.M., (1980). Design and Analysis of Agricultural Experiments. Textbook. El-Mousl University Press, Ninawa. (In Arabic).
- Alsadon, A.A. and Wahb-Allah, M.A. (2007). Yield stability for tomato cultivars and their hybrids under arid conditions. Acta Hort. 760: 249-258.
- Amaefula, C., Christian, U.A., Godson, E.N. (2014). Hybrid vigour and genetic control of some quantitative traits of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L). Open J. Gene. 4: 30-39.
- A.O.A.C. (1990). Official Methods of Analysis. 15th Edition, Association of Official Analytical Chemist, Washington DC.
- Helrich, K. (1990). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. (Ed.), Official Methods of Analysis. 15th Edition., Washington, DC. 771 P.
- Banerjee, M.K. and Kalloo, R. (1989). The inheritance of earliness and fruit weight in crosses between cultivated tomatoes and two wild species of Lycopersicom. Plant Breeding. 2: 48-152.
- Bhutia, N.D., Seth, T. Shende, V.D., Dutta, S., Chattopahyay, A. (2015). Estimation of heterosis, dominance effect and genetic control of fresh fruit yield, quality and leaf curl disease severity traits of chili pepper (Capsicum annuum L). Sci. Hortic. 182: 47-55.
- CoStat Software. (2004). User’s manual version. Cohort Tucson, Arizona, USA.
- Dordevic, R., Zecevic, B., Zdravkovic, J., Zivanovic, T., Odorovic, G. (2010). Inheritance of yield components in tomato. Genetica. 42: 575-583.
- Farzane, A., Nemati, H., Arouiee, H., Kakhki, A.M., Vahdat, N. (2012). The estimate of combining ability and heterosis for yield and yield components in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum Mill). J. Biol. Environ. Sci. 6: 129-134.
- Ferreira, L.U., Melo, P.G., Vieira, R.F., Junior, M.L. Pereira, H.S., Melo, L.C. deSouza, T.L. (2018). Combining ability as a strategy for selecting common bean parents and populations resistant to white mold. Crop Breed. Appl. Biotechnol. 3: 276-283.
- Figueiredo, A.S.T., Resende, J.T.V., Faria, M.V., Paula, J.T., Schwarz, K., Zanin, D.S. (2015). Combining ability and heterosis of relevant fruit traits of tomato genotypes for industrial processing. Crop Breed. Appl. Biotechnol. 3: 154-161. Garg, N., Cheema, D.S., Dhatt, A.S. (2008). Genetics of yield,
- quality and shelf life traitistics in tomato under normal and late planting conditions. Euphytica. 159: 275-288. Golam, F., Prodhan, Z.H., Nezhadahmadi, M., Rahman, A. (2012). Heat tolerance in tomato. Life Science Journal. 4: 1936-1950.
- Hannan, M.M., Ahmed, M.B., Roy, K.U., Razvy, M.A., Haydar, A., Rahman, M.A., Islam, M.A., Islam, R. (2007). Heterosis, combining ability and genetics for brix%, days to first fruit ripening and yield in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill). Mideast J. Sci. Res. 2: 128-131.
- Hossain, M.N., Ara, N., Islam, M.R., Hossain, J., Akhtar, B. (2013). Effect of different sowing dates on yield of tomato genotypes. Int. J. Agri. Innov. and Tech. 1: 40-43.
- Islam. M.T. (2011). Effect of Temperature on photosynthesis, field attributes and yield of tomato genotypes. Int. J. Expt. Agric. 1: 8-11.
- Júnior, R.A.P., Patto, M., Martins, R.S. Abreu, A.F.B. (2018). Inheritance of harvest index in common bean. Crop Breed. Appl. Biotechnol. 18(3): 252-254.
- Kaczmarska, E., Gawronski, J., Jabłonska-Ry, E., Zalewska-Korona, S.M., Radzki, W., Sławinska, A. (2016). Hybrid performance and heterosis in strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa Duchesne) regarding acidity, soluble solids and dry matter content in fruits. Plant Breeding. 135: 232- 238.
- Kaczmarska, E., Gawronski, J., Jabłonska-Ry, E., Zalewska-Korona, S.M., Radzki, W., Sławinska, A. (2017). General combining ability and heterosis regarding the phytochemical properties in strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa) hybrids. Plant Breeding. 136: 111-118.
- Kansouh, A.M. and Masoud, A.M. (2007). Manifestation of heterosis in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) by line x tester analysis. Alex. J. Agric. Res. 52: 75-90.
- Kaur, J., Spehia, R.S., Verma, V. (2018). Estimating combining ability for earliness and yield contributing traits in bell pepper (Capsicum annuum var grossum L.) under protected conditions. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 8: 308-319.
- Kumar, R., Servastava, K., Sing, N.P., Vasistha, N.K., Singh, R.K., Singh, M.K. (2013). Combining ability analysis for yield and quality traits in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum L.). J. Agric. Sci. 5: 213-217.
- Kumar, S. and Gowda, H.R. (2016). Estimation of heterosis and combining ability in tomato for fruit shelf life and yield component trait using line x tester method. Int. J. Agron. Agric. Res. 9: 10-19.
- Mather, K. and Jinks, J.L. (1971). Biometrical Genetics, Second ed. Chapman and Hall, London.
- Maynard D.N. and Hochmuth G.J. (1997). Knott’s Hanbook for Vegetable Growers. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York. 582 P.
- Pandey, S.K., Nookaraju, A.C., Upadhyaya, P., Gururani, M.A., Venkatesh, J., Kim, D.H., Park, S.W. (2011). An update on biotechnological approaches for improving abiotic stress tolerance in tomato. Crop Science. 6: 2303-2324.
- Rashwan, A.M.A. (2016). Comparative study in fifteen genotypes of tomato for heat tolerance under Egypt conditions. J. Amer. Sci. 6: 68-76.
- Reddy, A.S.R., Pratap, M., Sujatha, M. (2014). Development of superior F1 hybrids for commercial exploitation in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L). Inter. J. Far. Sci. 4: 58-69.
- Shakil, Q., Saleem, M., Khan, A.A., Ahmad, R. (2017). Genetic analysis for the determination of heterosis and combining ability of tomato fruit morphological traits under frost stress. Pak. J. Agric. Sci. 2: 383-393.
- Sharma, K.C., Verma, S., Pathak, S. (2002). Combining ability effects and components of genetic variation in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill). Indian J. Agric. Sci. 72: 496-497.
- Singh, A.K. and Asati, B.S. (2011). Combining ability and heterosis studies in tomato under bacterial wilt condition. Bangladesh J. Agric. Res. 36: 313-318.
- Singh, P., Cheema, D.S., Dhaliwal, M.S., Garg, N. (2014) .Heterosis and combining ability for earliness, plant growth, yield and fruit attributes in hot pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) involving genetic and cytoplasmic-genetic male sterile lines. Sci. Hortic. 168: 175-188.
- Singh, A.P. and Chaudhary, V. (2018). Genetic analysis for yield and yield contributing traits in brinjal (Solanum melongena L.) over environments. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 8: 1493-1504.
- Singh, V. and Vashisht, V.K. (2018). Heterosis and combining ability for yield in muskmelon (Cucumis melo L.). Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 8: 2996-3006.
- Smith, H.H. (1952). Fixing transgressive vigour in Nicotianarustica, in: Heterosis. Iowa State College Press, Ames, IA, USA.
- Solieman, T.H.I. (2009). Diallel analysis of five tomato cultivars and estimation of some genetic parameters for growth and yield traits. Alex. Sci. Exch. J. 30: 274-288.
- Solieman, T.H., El-Gabry, M., Abido, A.I. (2013). Heterosis, potence ratio and correlation of some important traits in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.). Sci. Hortic. 150: 25-30.
- Steel, R.G. and Torrie, J.H. (1980). Principles and Procedures of Statistics. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Souza, L.M., Paterniani, M.E.Z., Melo, P.C.T., Melo, A.M.T. (2012). Diallel cross among fresh market tomato inbreeding lines. Hortic. Bras. 2: 246-251.
- Susic, Z., Pavlovic, N., Cvikic, D., Sretenovic-Rajicic, T. (2002). Studies of correlation between yield and fruit traitistics of (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) hybrids and their parental genotypes. Acta Hort. 579: 163-166.
- Tasisa, J., Belew, D., Bantte, K. (2012). Genetic associations analysis among some traits of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) genotypes in West Showa. Ethiopia. Int. J. Pl. Breed. Genet. 6: 129-139.
- Wahb-Allah, M.A. (2008). A diallel analysis of yield and yield components of some tomato genotypes grown in arid conditions. Zagazig J. Agric. Res. 35: 19-32.
- Weerasinghe, O.R., Perera, A.L.T., Costa, W.A.M., Jinadase, D.M., Vishnukanthasinghan, R. (2004). Production of tomato hybrids for dry zone conditions of Sri Lanka using combining ability analysis, heterosis and DNA testing procedures. Trop. Agric. Res. 16: 79-90
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.