Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
The Amendment with Chitin and/or Chitosan Improves the Germination and Growth of Lycopersicon esculentum L., Capsicum annuum L. and Solanum melongena L.
First Online 11-08-2020|
In the present study, these co-products are evaluated for their ability to stimulate the germination and growth of Lycopersicon esculentum L., Capsicum annuum L. and Solanum melongena L.
Methods: The experiments were conducted at Ibn Tofail University-Kenitra, between July 2016 to January 2018. The experiments are carried out by using a germination test for the three seeds. On the other hand, the in vivo test is used to determine the effect of the biopolymers on plant growth (length, fresh and dry weights of aerial and root parts, number and weight of the obtained fruits).
Result: In vitro studies reveal a promoter action of chitosan and the mixture chitin-chitosan on increasing seed germination percentage by 16%, 34% and 22%. Thus, at both 25, 50 and 100 mg/l of chitin or chitosan, increase vigor index, shoot length and root is obtained. In vivo, the effect of chitin and chitosan is limited to stimulation of the lengths, fresh and dry weights of plants. However, a highly significant increase in the number and weight of the fruits is marked by the weekly soil amendment by the chitin-chitosan mixture at 25 mg/l and 100 mg/l.
- Abdul Baki, A.A. et Anderson, J.D. (1973). Vigor determination in soybean seed by multiple criteria. Crop. Sci. 13: 630-633.
- Barka, E. A. Eullaffroy, P. Clément, C. et Vernet, G. (2004). Chitosan improves development and protects Vitis vinifera L. against Botrytis cinerea. Plant Cell Reports. 22(8): 608-614.
- Benhamou N. et Thériault G. (1992). Treatment with chitosan enhances resistance of tomato plants to the crown and root rot pathogen Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. radicis-lycopersici. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology. 41: 33-52
- El Ghaouth, A., Arul, J., Asselin A., Ponnanmpalam R., Boulet M. (1991). Chitosan coating effect on storability and quality of fresh strawberries. Journal of Food Science. 56: 1618-1620.
- Hsu S.C. et Lockwood J.L. (1975). Powdered chitin agar as a selective medium for enumeration of actinomycetes in water and soil. Applied Microbiology. 29: 422-426.
- ISTA (2005). International Rules for Seed Testing. Edition 2005. International Seed Testing Association, Bassersdorf, Switzerland.
- Jaybhay, S., Chate, A., et Ade, A.B. (2010). Effect of chitosan on Okra [Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench] seed germination. Journal of Experimental Sciences. 1(2): 1-27.
- Khan W. Prithiviraj B, Smith DL. (2003). Chitosan and chitin oligomers increase phenylalanine ammonia-lyase and tyrosine ammonia -lyase activities in soybean leaves. Journal of Plant Physiology. 160(8): 859-863.
- Lachachi S. (2010). Organogénèse et embryogénèse somatique directe chez la tomate (Doctoral dissertation, Université d’Oran-Sénia), 1-117.
- Lafontaine P.J. et Benhamou N. (1996). Chitosan treatment: An emerging strategy for enhancing resistance of greenhouse tomato plants to infection by Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. radicis-lycopersici. Biocontrol Science and Technology. 6(1):111-124.
- Liopa-Tsakalidi, A., Chalikiopoulos, D., et Papasavvas, A. (2010). Effect of chitin on growth and chlorophyll content of two medicinal plants. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 4(7): 499-508.
- Mohanta, R.N., Subramanian, S., et Nirmale, A.V. (2001). Use versatility of Chitin and Chitosan-A review. Agricultural Reviews. 22(1): 41-46.
- Mondal, M.M.A., Malek, M.A., Puteh, A.B., Ismail, M.R., Ashrafuzzaman M., et Naher L. (2012). Effect of foliar application of chitosan on growth and yield in okra. Australian Journal of Crop Science (AJCS). 6(5): 918-921.
- Muzzarelli, R.A.A. (1997). Human enzymatic activities related to the therapeutic administration of chitin derivatives. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. (53): 131-140.
- Ramana S, Biswas AK, Kundu S, Saha JK and Yadava RBR. (2002). Effect of distillery effluent on seed germination in some vegetable crops. Bioresource Technology. (82): 273-275.
- Rkhaila A., et Ounine K. (2018). Shrimp shells, Chitin and chitosan powders effect on growth of Lycopersicon esculentum and their ability to induce resistance against Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. radicis-lycopersici attack. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 52(5): 512-517.
- Singh, A., Gairola, K., Upadhyay, V., et Kumar, J. (2018). Chitosan: An elicitor and antimicrobial Bio-resource in plant protection. Agricultural Reviews. 39(2): 163-168.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.