Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Effect of amendment of soil with fly ash in combination with other nutrients on change in grain yield, crude protein, NPN and true protein contents of rice
First Online 20-08-2016|
Field experiment was conducted with two different varieties of rice (Oryza sativa L.) namely, Pooja grown in kharif season followed by MTU-1001 grown in rabi season. The experiment consisted of nine different treatments, one with recommended dose (RD) of nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium (NPK) fertilizer served as the control and the rest of the treatments were either lone fly ash (FA) or FA applied in two doses in combination with different amounts of fertilizers (100% RD or 50% RD of NPK) and farm yard manure (FYM). Except for the lone FA doses the rest of the treatments were found to have varying degrees of beneficial effects on grain yield over the control without affecting the protein contents. The most effective dose was RD + FA @ 40 t ha-1 for both the seasons. The increase in the quantities of FA from 20 t ha-1 to 40 t ha-1 did not changed the protein contents of the grains significantly. Again no significant cumulative effect of the amendments could be observed in the second season.
- Adriano, D.C., Page, A. L., Elseewi, A. A., Chang, A. C., Straughan, I., (1980). Utilisation and disposal of fly ash and other coal residues in terrestrial ecosystem. A review. J. Environ. Qual. 9: 333-334.
- Agbenin, J. O., Goladi, J. T., (1997). Carbon, nitrogen and phosphorous dynamics under continous cultivation as influenced by farmyard manure and inorganic fertilizers in the Savanna of northern Nigeria. Agric. Ecosystem. Environ. 63: 17-24.
- CARD (Centre for Applied Research and Development), (1997). Soil reclamation of backfilled areas of Neyveli opencast mines. CARD, Neyveli Lignite Corporation and Faculty of Agriculture, Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Forster, H and Mengel , K. (1974). Einfliisse der Kaliumernaihrung auf die Ertragsbildung Verschiedener Sommerwcizensorten (Triticum aestivum SSp. Vulgare). Z. Acker-U. Pflanzenbau 131, S.146 bis 156. As quoted in Fertilizer use and protein production, Intln. Potash Institute, 1975 p-244.
- Ghodrati M, Sims J. T, Vasilas B. L. Evaluation of fly ash as a soil amendment for the Atlantic coastal plain. I. Soil hydraulic properties and elemental leaching. J water Soil Air Pollution. (1996); 92: 105-111.
- Khan, R. K and Khan, M. W, (1996). The effect of fly ash on plant growth and yield of tomato. Environ. Pollution., 92: 105-111.
- Kuchanwar, O. D., Matte, D. B., and Kene, D. R. (1997). Evaluation of graded doses of fly ash and fertilizers on nutrient content and uptake of groundnut grown on vertisol. Journal of Soils and Crops, 7: 1-3.
- Lee, H., H.S. Ha, C.S. Lee, Y. B. Lee and P. J. Kim (2006). Fly ash effect on improving soil properties and rice productivity in Korean paddy soil. Bioresource Technology., 97: 1490-1497.
- Mahapatra, I. C., Singh, K. N., Pillai, K. G., Bapat, S. R., (1985). Rice soils and their management. Indian J. Agron. 30: 1-41.
- McCarty, G. W., Siddaramappa, R., Wright, R. J., Cadling, E. E., Gao, G., (1994). Evaluation of coal combustion by products as soil liming materials: Their influence on soil pH and enzyme activity. Biol. Fertil. Soils. 17: 167-172.
- Mishra, M., Sahu, R. K., Padhy, R. N., (2007). Growth, yield and elemental status of rice (Oryza Sativa L.) grown in fly ash amended soil. Ecotoxicology. 16: 271-278.
- Nambiar, K. K. M., (1994). Soil Fertility and crop Productivity under Long term Fertilizer use in India. ICAR Publication, New Delhi.
- Parida, R. C. (1991). Effect of Genotype, Agronomic and Environmental Conditions on Rice Protein. Ph.D Thesis of Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, India.
- Patrick, W . H. Jr., Reddy, K. R and Mulbah, C. (1984). Distribution of Nitrogen-15-depleted nitrogen in protein fractions of rice as affected by placement and timing of N fertilizer. Agron. J., 76: 705-6
- Pradhan, K.C. (2002). Studies on Integrated use of Fly ash on Rice-Groundnut cropping system in acid soil. Ph.D Thesis of Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar, India.
- Prasad, R., and Power, J.F (1995). Nitrification inhibitors for agriculture, health and the environment. Advances in Agronomy, 54: 233-281.
- Singh, L. P. and Z. A. Siddiqui, (2003). Effects of fly ash and Helminthosporium oryzae on growth and yield of three cultivars of rice. Bioresour. Technol., 86: 73-78.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.