Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Comparitive analysis of performance of bio-organic composite manures on growth, productivity and economics of amaranthus
First Online 21-03-2016|
An experiment was conducted during 2009-2011 at College of Agriculture, Vellayani to evaluate growth, productivity and economics of amaranthus as influenced by the performance of bio-organic composite manure along with microbial consortium. Organic sources used for the preparation of bio organic composite manures were coir pith compost, poultry manure, neem cake, groundnut cake, ash, rock dust and microbial consortium. Composite organic manures analyzing at least 3% N and N: K ratio of 1:0.5 was selected for further study. Five mixtures (OM3, OM5, OM9, OM11, 0M13) satisfying the selection criteria were identified for the investigation. The results of growth characters revealed that T1 (coir pith compost – 50g, ground nut cake – 35g and ash – 15g) recorded the highest number of leaves per plant and highest dry matter production (25.6 plant-1 and 1481.92 kg ha-1 respectively) and highest leaf:stem ratio of 2.47 was registered in T5 (poultry manure- 50g, ground nut cake – 30g, rock dust- 19g and microbial consortium – 1g). Among the treatments maximum yield was obtained for the treatment T5 and it was on par with T1 and T2 (poultry manure- 50g, ground nut cake – 30g, rock dust- 20g). The study on economics shows that T5 registering net returns of Rs 130800/-per ha was the most economical treatment with B:C ratio 2.2.
- Awodun, M.A. (2007). Effect of poultry manure on the growth, yield and nutrient content of fluted pumpkin ( Telfaria occidentalis Hook F). Asian J. Agric. Rese., 1: 67-73.
- Balasubramanian, A., Siddaramappa, R. and Rangaswami, G. (1972). Effect of organic manuring on the activities of enzymes hydrolyzing sucrose, urease on soil aggregation. Plant and Soil., 14: 327-328.
- Gianquinto,G. and Borin, M. (1990). Effect of organic and mineral fertilizer application and soil type on the growth and yield of processing tomatoes. Rev. Agron., 24:339-348.
- Jose, D., Shanmughavelu, K. and Thamburaj, S. (1988) .Studies on the efficacy of organic vs inorganic form of nitrogen in brinjal. Indian J. Hort., 5: 100-103.
- KAU. (2007). Package of Practices Recommendations: Crops (12th Ed). Directorate of Extension, Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur, 334 p.
- KAU. (2009). Package of Practices Recommendations (Adhoc) for Organic Farming. Directorate of Extension, Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur, 200 p.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.