Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Seed invigoration treatments in different seed sizes of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) for maintenance of vigour, viability and yield potential
First Online 22-12-2015|
Pre-storage dry treatment of freshly harvested (high-vigour) sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) seeds in different seed sizes (viz. composite, large, medium and small) with red chilli powder (@ 1 g/kg of seed) and bleaching powder (@ 2g/kg of seed) significantly slowed down seed deterioration under natural ageing conditions and increased field performance and productivity along with reduced leakage of electrolytes, lower volatile aldehyde production with higher dehydrogenase enzyme activity over their respective untreated control. Among the seed sizes, large seeds showed higher post-storage germinability as well as field performance and productivity than the other categories of seeds. Interaction effects were non-significant which indicated that the treatment effects are independent of seed sizes. On the basis of the present investigation, pre-storage dry treatments in large sized seeds with red chilli powder and bleaching powder may be suggested for improved germinability and yield potential of stored high-vigour sunflower seeds.
- Anderson A. M., Hart, J. R. and French, R. C. (1964). Comparison of germinating technique and conductivity tests of cotton seeds. Proc. Int. Seed Test Ass., 29 : 81-96.
- Arnott, R.A. (1975). A quantitative analysis of endosperm dependent seedling growth in grasses. Ann. Bot., 33: 883-895.
- Baalbaki, R.Z. and Copeland, L.O. (1997). Seed size density and protein content effects on field performance of wheat. Seed Sci. and Technol., 25: 511-521.
- Bhattacharya, S., Chowdhury, R. and Mandal, A. K. (2015). Seed invigoration treatments for improved germinability and field performance of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merill). Indian J. Agri. Res. 49: 32-38.
- Booth, D.T. and Bai, Y. (1999). Imbibition temperature effects on seedling vigor : In crops and shrubs. J. Range Manage., 52 : 534-538.
- Cordell, G.A. and Araujo, O.E. (1993). Capsaicin : Identification, nomenclature and phramcotherapy. Ann. Pharmacother., 27: 330-336.
- Dey, A.K. and Ghosh, J. J. (1993). Ultraviolet radiation-induced lipid peroxidation in liposomal membrane : modification by capsaicin. Phytother. Res., 7: 87-89.
- Dharmalingam, C. and Basu, R.N. (1987). Influence of seed size and seed coat colour on the production potential of mungbean cv. Co. 3. Seed and Farms, 13: 16-20.
- Farooq, M., Basra, S.M.A., Rehman, H. and Saleem. B.A. (2008), Seed priming enhances the performance of late sown wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) by improving chilling tolerance. J. Agron. Crop Sci., 194 : 55-60.
- Fisher, R.A. (1948). Statistical Methods for research Workers. Oliver and Boyd. Edinburgh.
- Galano. A. and Martinez, A. (2012). Capsaicin, a tasty free radical scavenger : Mechanism of action and kinetics. J. Phys. Chem. 116 : 1200-1208.
- Goel, A. and Sheoran, I. S. (2003). Lipid peroxidation and peroxide-scavenging enzymes in cotton seeds under natural ageing. Biol. Plant. 46 : 429-434.
- Guha, P., Biswas, J., De, B.K. and Mandal, A.K. (2012). Post-harvest dry and wet physiological seed treatments for improved storability and field performance of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.). Indian J. Agric. Res., 46 : 16-22.
- International Seed Testing Association. (2009). International Rules for Seed Testing. Annex to Chapter 7 Seed Health Testing. Seed Health Testing Methods. International Seed Testing Association, Bassersdorf, Switzerland.
- Kittock, D. L. and Law, A. G. (1968). Relationship of seedling vigour, respiration and tetrazolium chloride reduction by germinating wheat seeds. Agron. J.,60 : 286-288.
- Pryor, W.A. and Lasswell, L.D. (1975). Diels-alder and 1, 4-diradical intermediates in the spontaneous
- polymerization of vinyl monomers. In: Adv. Free Rad. Chem. (ed. Williims, G. H.). London : Flek Sci., 5 : 27.
- Punjabi, B. and Basu, R.N. (1982). Testing germination and seedling growth by an inclined glass plate blotter method. Indian. J. Plant Physiol., 25 :289-295.
- McDanial, R.G. (1969). Relationship of seed weight, seedling vigour and mitochondrial metabolism in barley. Crop Sci, 9: 823-827.
- Nascimento, P.L.A., Nascimento, T.C.E.S., Ramos, N.S.M., Silva, G.R., Camara, C.A., Silva, T.M.S., Moreira, K.A. and Porto, A.L.F. (2013). Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of pimena malaguenta (Capsicum frutscens). African J. Microbiol. Res. 7: 3526-3533.
- Reiss, U. and Tappel, A.L. (1973). Fluorescent product formation and changes in structure of DNA reacted with peroxidizing arachidonic acid. Lipids. 8 : 199-202.
- Rudrapal, A.B. and Basu, R.N. (1981). Use of chlorine and bromine in controlling mustard seed deterioration. Seed Res., 9 : 188-191.
- Sadeghi, H., Khazaei, F., Sheidaei, S. and Yari, L. (2011). Effect of seed size on seed germination behavior of safflower (Carthamus tictorius). ARPN J. Agri and Biol. Sci., 6: 5-8.
- Stadtman, E. (1992). Protein oxidation and ageing. Science. 257 : 1220-1224.
- Taniguchi, N., Kinoshita, N., Arai, K., Iizuka, S., Usui, M. and Naito, T. (1989). Inactivation of erythrocyte Cu-Zn-superoxide dismutase through non-enzymatic glycosylation. In: The Maillard reaction in ageing, diabetes and nutrition. (ed. Baynes J.W. and Monnier V.M.). New York : Alan R. Liss, Inc., 277-290.
- Vidyadhar, B. and Singh, B.G. (2000). Effect of seed treatment with halogens on yield and yield attributes in maize hybrid BH-1001. Indian J. Plant Physiol., 5 : 385-386.
- Wilson, D. O. and McDonald, M. B. (1986). A convenient volatile aldehyde assay for measuring seed vigour. Seed Sci. and Technol., 14 : 259-268.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.