Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Genotypes performance and genetic variability studies in Hot Chilli (Capsicum annum L.)
First Online 22-12-2015|
Twenty five diverse chilli (Capsicum annuum L.) genotypes were evaluated in a field study to assess genetic variability, heritability and genetic advance. The highest PCV were recorded for number of fruit plant-1 (42.0), dry fruit yield plant-1 (30.34), seed yield plant-1 (28.94), fruit weight of dry chilli (23.38), number of primary branches plant-1 at 30 DAT (21.88) and fruit width (21.0). While, highest GCV was observed for number of fruit plant-1 (41.77), dry fruit yield plant-1 (29.61), seed yield plant-1 (27.67) and fruit weight of dry chilli (21.67), The value of heritability (h2bs) was found to be very high for fruit yield plant-1 (97.91), seed yield plant-1 (96.82), dry fruit yield plant-1 (95.24), days to first picking (94.88), fruit length (93.30), fruit weight of green chilli (93.26), fruit yield plot-1(92.91), fruit yield ha-1 (92.90) and fruit width (92.02). The highest estimates of genetic advance as percentage of mean was recorded for number of fruit plant-1 (45.59), fruit weight of dry chilli (41.38), fruit width (39.82), dry fruit yield plant-1 (39.52), seed yield plant-1 (38.70), fruit weight of green chilli (38.10), fruit yield plant-1 (37.33) and fruit length (36.78) were observed for these all the above characters, imply the potential for crop improvement in chilli through selection.
- Bendale V.W., Palsuledesai M.R., Bhave S.G., Sawant S.S. and Desai S.S. (2006). Genetic evaluation of some economic traits in chilli (Capsicum annuum L.). Crop Research, Hisar 31: 401-403.
- Bharadwaj, D.N., Singh, S.K. and Singh, H.L. (2007).Genetic variability an association of component characters for yield in chilli. Int. J. of Plant Sciences. 2: 93 -96.
- Burton, G.W.(1952).Quantitative inheritance in grasses. Proceedings. Sixth Intl. Grassland Congr., 1: 277-283
- Cherian, E.V., Indira, P. and Rajan, S. (2003). Variability, heritability and genetic advance for yield, quality and bacterial wilt incidence in Capsicum chinense Jacq. Capsicum and Eggplant Newsletter., 22: 47-50.
- Datta, S. and Jana, J.C. (2010) .Genetic variability, heritability and correlation in chilli genotypes under Terai zone of West Bengal. SAARC Journal of Agriculture., 8: 33-45.
- Dipendra Gogoi and Gautam BP. (2002). Variability, heritability and genetic advance in chilli (capsicum spp.). Agricul. Sci. Digest 22: 102 -104.
- Diwakar, K., Vijay, B., Hadur, S.B., Rangare and Singh, D. (2012). Genetic variability, heritability and correlation studies in chilli. Hortflora Res. Spectrum., 1: 248-252.
- Gupta, A.M., Singh, D. and Kumar, A. (2009).Genetic variability, genetic advance and correlation in chilli (Capsicum annuum L.). Indian J agric Sci., 79: 221-223.
- Hanson, C. H., Robinson, H. F. and Comstock, R. E. (1956). Bio-metrical studies of yield in segregating population of Korean Lespedesa. Agron. J., 48: 268-272.
- Hosamani, R.M. and Nandadevi. (2003). Variability correlation and path analysis in kharif grown chilli (Capsicum annum L.) genotypes for different characters. Capsicum and Eggplant Newsletter., 22: 43-46.
- Johari, S. and Kumar, V. (2007). Studies of combining ability, variability, heritability and genetic advance for yield and its attributes in bell pepper (capsicum annuum L.). Veg Sci., 34: 103-105.
- Johnson, H. W., Robinson, H. F., and Comstock, R.E. (1955). Estimates of genetic and environmental variability in soybean. Agron. J., 47: 314-318.
- Manju, P.R. and Sreelathakumary,I. (2004).Genetic divergence in hot chilli (capsicum chinease Jacq.). Capsicum and Eggplant Newsletter., 23: 69 -72.
- Mishra A, Sahu GS and Mishra PK. (2001). Variability in fruit characters of chilli (Capsicum annuum L.). Orissa J. of Horti.29 : 107-109.
- National Horticulture Board (http://www.nhb.gov.in/area%20_production.html).
- Pandit, M.K. and Ahikary, S. (2014). Variability and Heritability Estimates in Some Reproductive Characters and Yield in Chilli (Capsicum annuum L.) International Journal of Plant & Soil Science. 3 (7): XX-XX.
- Rathod RP, Deshmukh DT, Ghode PB and Gonge VS. 2002. Correlation and path analysis studies in chilli (Capsicum annuum L.). Haryana J. of Horti. Sci. 31: 141- 143.
- Singh, G.P. (1996). Genetic variability in Capsicum annum L. J. Applied Bio., 4: 19-22.
- Singh, S.K., Sachan C.P. and Dubey A.K. (2013). Genetical Studies on Chilli (Capsicum annuum L.). Annals of Horti.6 :164-169.
- Singh, V.P. and Yadav S.K. (2008). Genetic variability, heritability and genetic advance in chilli (capsicum annuum L.). International J. Pl. Sci. 3: 498-501.
- Sreelathakumar, I. and Rajamony, L. (2004).Variability, heritability and genetic advance in chilli (Capsicum annuum L.). J. of Tropical Agri. 42: 35- 37.
- Tembhurne, B.V., Shrivastava, R.K., Naidu. A.K. and Rao, S.K. (2009). Yield performance of chilli hybrid for Kymore plateau and Satpura Hill Region of Madhya Pradesh. ICH pp 41.
- Ukkund, C. Krishna, M.B. Madalageri, M.P. Patil, Ravindramulage and Kotikol,Y.K. (2007). Variability studies in green chilli (Capsicum annum L.). Karnataka J. Agri. Sci., 20: 102-104.
- Varkey, J. Saiyed, M.P. Patel, J.S., Patel, D.B. (2005). Genetic variability and heritability in chilli. J.of Maharashtra Agri. Uni. 30: 3, 346-347.
- Wilson, D. and Philip. (2009). Genetic variability and genetic divergence in paprika (Capsicum annuum L.). ICH pp 16.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.