Effect of integrated nutrient management on soil properties under cotton-chickpea cropping sequence in vertisols of Deccan plateau of India
Citation :- Effect of integrated nutrient management on soil properties under cotton-chickpea cropping sequence in vertisols of Deccan plateau of India .Indian Journal of Agricultural Research.2015.(49):207-214
An experiment was conducted at Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth (MPKV), Rahuri a representative place for the vertisols of Deccan plateau of India to study the effect of organic and inorganic fertilizers on crop yield and soil physical, chemical and biological properties in the cotton-chickpea cropping sequence. There were seven treatments applied to hybrid cotton and each plot of summer cotton was equally divided into four parts to chickpea. Application of Recommended Dose of Fertilizer (RDF) according to Soil Test Crop Response (STCR) equation recorded significantly higher seed cotton yield and cotton equivalent yield, however it was at par with 10 t Farm Yard Manure (FYM) ha-1 + RDF. Chickpea registered significantly higher seed yield in 10 t FYM ha-1 + RDF and it was at par with 100% RDN through vermicompost. 100% RDF registered significantly superior seed chickpea seed yield and cotton equivalent yield. The soil physical, chemical and biological properties determined at the end of two crop cycles were improved due to the application of manures in sole or in combination with chemical fertilizers.
- Badole, S.B., and More S. D (2001) Effect of integrated nutrient management system on the changes in soil microbial population under cotton-groundnut cropping system. Journal of Indian Soc. of Cotton Improvement. 26(3): 83-87.
- Blaise, D., Majumdar G. and Tekale K. U. (2005) On-farm evaluation of fertilizer application and conservation tillage on productivity of cotton + pigeon pea strip intercropping on rainfed Vertisols of central India. Soil and Tillage Research 83:108–117.
- Gaur, P. M., Tripathi S., Gowda C. L. L., Ranga Rao G.V., Sharma, Pande H. C. S. and Sharma M. (2010) Chickpea Seed Production Manual. India: International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics. Patancheru 502 323, Andhra Pradesh, pp. 1-28.
- Gawai, P. P. (2003) Effect of integrated nutrient management system in sorghum-chickpea cropping sequence. Ph.D. thesis submitted to M.P.K.V., Rahuri (M.S.) pp. 80-167.
- Gawai, P. P. and Pawar, V.S. (2005) Yield and yield components of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) as influenced by integrated nutrient management system and its residual effect on chickpea (Cicer arietinum). Ann. Agric. Res., 26(3): 378-382.
- Gomez, K. A., and Gomez A. A. (1983) Statistical Procedure for Agriculture Research. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Hati, K. M., Mandal K. G., Misra, A. K., Ghosh P. K. and Bandyopadhyay K. K. (2006) Effect of inorganic fertilizer and farmyard manure on soil physical properties, root distribution, and water-use efficiency of soybean in Vertisols of central India. Bioresource Technol., 97: 2182–2188.
- Kaur, M., Kaur, M. and Brar, A. S. (2007) Effect of nutrients applied through organic and inorganic sources on the growth and yield of American cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). J. Cotton Res. Dev., 21(2): 194-196.
- Saha, R., Mishra V. K., Majumdar B. K., Laxminarayana and Ghosh P. K. (2010) Effect of integrated nutrient management on soil physical properties and crop productivity under a maize (Zea mays)-mustard (Brassica campestris) cropping sequence in acidic soils of northeast India. Comm. in Soil Sci. and Plant Ana., 31:2187-2200.
- Santhy, P., Velusamy M. S., Murryappan V., and Selvi D. (1999) Effect of inorganic fertilizers and fertilizer manure combination on soil physico-chemical properties and dynamics of microbial biomass in an inceptisol. J. of Indian Soc. of Soil Sci., 37(3) : 379-382.
- Sharma, S. P. and Subehia S. K. (2003) Effects of twenty-five years of fertilizer use on maize and wheat yields and quality of an acidic soil in the western Himalayas. Experimental Agric., 39:55–63.
- Singh, S. K., Verma S. C. and Singh R. P. (2001) Effect of integrated nutrient management on yield, nutrient uptake and changes in soil fertility under rice (Oryza sativa)- lentil (Lens culinaris) cropping system. Indian J. of Agron., 36(2): 191-197.
- Walia, M. K., Walia S. S. and Dhaliwal S. S. (2010) Long term effect of integrated nutrient management of properties of Typic Ustochrept after 23 cycles of an irrigated rice-wheat system. J. of Sustainable Agric., 33:723-733.