Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Dynamics of C and N in a clay loam soil amended with biochar and corn straw
First Online 07-10-2019|
- Agegnehu, G., Bass, A.M., Nelson, P.N. and Bird, M.I. (2016). Benefits of biochar, compost and biochar-compost for soil quality, maize yield and greenhouse gas emissions in a tropical agricultural soil. Sci. Total Environ. 543: 295-306.
- Atkinson, C.J., Fitzgerald, J.D. and Hipps, N.A. (2010). Potential mechanisms for achieving agricultural benefits from biochar application to temperate soils: a review. Plant Soil. 337 (1–2): 1-18.
- Clough, T.J. and Condron, L.M. (2010). Biochar and the nitrogen cycle: introduction. J. Environ Qual. 39: 1218-1223.
- Dempster, D.N., Gleeson, D.B., Solaiman, Z.M., Jones, D.L. and Murphy, D.V. (2012). Decreased soil microbial biomass and nitrogen mineralisation with eucalyptus biochar addition to a coarse textured soil. Plant Soil. 354: 311-324.
- Fang, Y., Singh, B.P. and Singh, B. (2014). Temperature sensitivity of biochar and native carbon mineralisation in biochar-amended soils. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 191: 158-167.
- Gupta, P.K. ( 2006). Soil, Plant, Water and Fertilizer analysis. Agrobios India Publishing. 132-135.
- Jefrey, M.N., Busscher, W.J., Laird, D.L., Ahmedna, M., Watts, D.W. and Niandou, M.A.S. (2009). Impact of biochar amendment on fertility of a southeastern coastal plain soil. Soil Sci. 174: 105-112.
- Keith, A., Singh, B. and Singh, B.P. (2011). Interactive priming of biochar and labile organic matter mineralization in a smectite-rich soil. Environ. Sci. Technol. 45: 9611-9618.
- Kuzyakov, Y., Subbotina, I., Chen, H.Q., Bogomolova, I. and Xu, X.L. (2009). Black carbon decomposition and incorporation into microbial biomass estimated by 14C labeling. Soil Biol. Biochem. 41: 210-219.
- Lehmann, J., Gaunt, J. and Rondon, M. (2006). Bio-char Sequestration in Terrestrial Ecosystems - A Review. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change. 11: 403- 427.
- Li, X.S., Han, H.F., Ning, T.Y. and Lal, R. (2018). CO2-C evolution rate in an incubation study with straw input to soil managed by different tillage systems. RSC Adv. 8: 12588-12596.
- Lou, Y.L., Liang, W.J., Xu, M.G., He, X.H., et al. (2011). Straw coverage alleviates seasonal variability of the topsoil microbial biomass and activity. Catena. 86: 117-120.
- Lu, F., Wang, X.K., Han, B., Ouyang, Z.Y., et al. (2009). Soil carbon sequestrations by nitrogen fertilizer application, straw return and no-tillage in China’s cropland. Global Change Biol. 15: 281-305.
- Lu, H., Lashari, M.S., Liu, X., et al. (2015). Changes in soil microbial community structure and enzyme activity with amendment of biochar-manure compost and pyroligneous solution in a saline soil from central China. Eur. J. Soil Biol. 70: 67-76.
- Mukherjee, A. and Lal, R. (2013). Biochar impacts on soil physical properties and greenhouse gas emissions. Agronomy. 3(2): 313- 339.
- Novak, J.M., Busscher, W.J., Watts, D.W., Laird, D.A., Ahmedna, M.A. and Niandou, M.A.S. (2010). Short term CO2 mineralization after addition of biochar and switchgrass to a Typic Kandiudult. Geoderma. 154: 281-288.
- Odugbenro, G.O., Sun, Y. and Liu, Z. (2018). Effects of biochar on carbon pool, N mineralization, microbial biomass and microbial respiration from mollisol. Afr. J. Agr. Res. 13 (45): 2570-2578.
- Peake, L.R., Reid, G.J. and Tang, X. (2014). Quantifying the influence of biochar on the physical and hydrological properties of dissimilar soils. Geoderma. 235-236: 182-190.
- Prayogo, C., Jones, J.E., Baeyens, J. and Bending, G.D. (2014). Impact of biochar on mineralization of C and N from soil and willow litter and its relationship with microbial community biomass and structure. Biol. Fert. Soils. 50: 695-702.
- Song, Y., Zhang, X., Ma, B., Chang, S.X. and Gong, J. (2013). Biochar addition affected the dynamics of ammonia oxidizers and nitrification in microcosms of a coastal alkaline soil. Biol. Fert. Soils. 50: 321-332.
- Tufekcioglu, A., Raich, J.W., Isenhart, T.M. and Schultz, R.C. (2001). Soil respiration within riparian buffers and adjacent crop fields. Plant Soil. 229: 117-214.
- Vance, E.D., Brookes, P.C. and Jenkinson, D.S. (1987). An Extraction Method for Measuring Soil Microbial Biomass C. Soil Biol. Biochem. 19: 703-707.
- Wang, J., Xiong, Z. and Kuzyakov, Y. (2015). Biochar stability in soil: meta-analysis of decomposition and priming effects. GCB Bioenergy 8: 512-523.
- Xu, R.L., Wang, J.F., Zhang, G.L. and Dai, Q.G. (2010). Changes of microbe and organic matter content in paddy soil applied with straw, manure and nitrogen fertilizer (in Chinese). Acta Ecol. Sin, 30: 3584–3590.
- Zhang, P., Wei, T., Li, Y., Wang, K., Jia, Z., Han, Q. and Ren, X. (2015). Effects of straw incorporation on the stratification of the soil organic carbon, total N, and C:N ratio in a semiarid region of China. Soil Till. Res., 153: 28-35.
- Zhang, Q-z., Dijkstra, F.A., Liu, X-r., Wang, Y-d., Huang, J., et al. (2014). Effects of Biochar on Soil Microbial Biomass after Four Years of Consecutive Application in the North China Plain. PLoS ONE. 9 (7): e102062.
- Zhu, L.X., Xiao, Q., Shen, Y.F. and Li, S.Q. (2017). Effects of biochar and maize straw on the short-term carbon and nitrogen dynamics in a cultivated silty loam in China. Environ Sci. Pollut. Res. 24: 1019-1029.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.