Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.60
Effect of sowing density on number of tiller, ground cover and dry matter yield production of two green manure crops, winter rye (Secale cereale L.) and lolium mix
First Online 25-10-2016|
Determining the effect of sowing density is crucial for good tillering and production of dry matter yield of green manure crops. An experiment was to determine the effect of sowing density on tiller number, total dry matter yield production and ground cover by green leaf blades of two green manure crops namely winter rye and lolium. Split-plot design was used with a green manure crop as a main factor and sowing density as a sub-plot factor with six blocks in 3 different sowing densities. An advisable sowing density of 50% and 100% did show a significant difference on the number of tillers for winter rye. Sowing density did show a significant linear effect on ground cover by green leaf blades of the crops. Sowing density showed a significant linear effect on total dry matter yield. To evaluate the effect of environment further investigation would be need.
- Brennan E.B., Boyd N.S., Smith R.F. and Foster P. (2009). Seeding rate and planting arrangement effects on growth and weed suppression of a legume-oat cover crop for organic vegetable systems, Agronomy Journal 101:979-988.
- Cavigelli M.A. and Thien S.J. (2003). Phosphorus bioavailability following incorporation of green manure crops. Soil Science Society of America Journal 67:1186-1194.
- Cherr C., Scholberg J. and McSorley R. (2006). Green manure approaches to crop production. Agronomy journal 98: 302-319.
- Hartwig N.L. and Ammon H.U. (2002). Cover crops and living mulches. Weed Science 50:688-699.
- Kramberger B., Gselman A., Kapun S. and Kaligaric M. (2007). Effect of sowing rate of Italian Ryegrass drilled into pea stubble on removal of soil mineral nitrogen and autumn nitrogen accumulation by herbage yield. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies 16.
- Uchino H., K Iwama K., Y Jisuyama Y., K Ichiyama K., Eri Sugihara E. and Yudate T. (2011). Stable characteristics of cover crops for weed suppression in organic farming systems. Plant Production Science 14:75-85.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.