Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Influence of Priming with Exogenous Selenium on Seed Vigour of Alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.)
First Online 28-07-2021|
Methods: Seeds were primed with 0, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0 and 8.0 mmol L-1 of sodium selenite solution for 0, 3, 6, 9 and 12 h at 20°C and their germination percentage, germination index, seedling vigour index and mean germination time were analyzed.
Result: Seed vigour of alfalfa was improved by priming with low selenium (Se) concentration (0.5 and 1.0 mmol L-1), but was inhibited by high Se concentration (> 2.0 mmol L-1). Hence, it must be necessary to carefully select appropriate concentration and time for the application of Se priming in alfalfa seeds. The optimal manner of Se priming in alfalfa seeds might be at 1.0 mmol L-1 concentration for 9 h.
- Abdul-Baki, A.A. and Anderson, J.D. (1973). Vigour determination in soybean seed multiple criteria. Crop Science. 13: 630-33.
- Arun, M.N., Hebbar S.S., Bhanuprakas, K. and Senthivel, T. (2017). Seed priming improves irrigation water use efficiency, yield and yieldcomponents of summer cowpea under limited water conditions. Legume Research. 40: 864-71.
- Bai, B., Wang, Z., Gao, L. and Shen, Y. (2019). Effects of selenite on the growth of alfalfa (Medicago sativa L. cv. Sadie 7) and related physiological mechanisms. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum. 41: 78.
- Chen, K. and Arora, R. (2013). Priming memory invokes seed stress-tolerance. Environmental and Experimental Botany. 94: 33-45.
- Du, B., Luo, H., He, L., Zhang, L., Liu, Y., Mo, Z., Pan, S., Tian, H., Duan, M. and Tang, X. (2019). Rice seed priming with sodium selenate: Effects on germination, seedling growth and biochemicalattributes. Scientific Reports. 9: 4311.
- Ellis, R.H., Osei-Bonsu, K. and Roberts, E.H. (1982). The influence of genotype, temperature and moisture on seed longevity in chickpea, cowpea and soybean. Annals of Botany. 50: 69-82.
- Etteieb, S., Magdouli, S., Zolfaghari, M. and Brar, S.K. (2020). Monitoring and analysis of selenium as an emerging contaminant in mining industry: A critical review. Science of the Total Environment. 698: 134339.
- Gu, Y., Qiu, Y., Wei, X., Li, Z., Hu, Z., Gu, Y., Zhao, Y., Wang, Y., Yue, T. and Yuan, Y. (2020). Characterization of selenium- containing polysaccharides isolated from selenium- enriched tea and its bioactivities. Food Chemistry. 316: 126371.
- Hadrup, N. and Ravn-Haren, G. (2020). Acute human toxicity and mortality after selenium ingestion: A review. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology. 58: 126435.
- ISTA. (2017). International Rules for Seed Testing: The germination test. International Seed Testing Association, Zurich. pp. 25.
- Moulick, D., Santra, S.C. and Ghosh, D. (2018). Effect of selenium induced seed priming on arsenic accumulation in rice plant and subsequent transmission in human food chain. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 152: 67-77.
- Naziroðlu, M. (2009).Role of selenium on calcium signaling and oxidative stress-induced molecular pathways in epilepsy. Neurochemical Research. 34: 2181-91.
- Roqueiro, G., Maldonado, S., Mdel, C.R. and Maroder, H. (2012). Fluctuation of oxidative stress indicators in Salix nigra seeds during priming. Journal of Experimental Botany. 63: 3631-42.
- Schiavon, M. and Pilon-Smits, E.A.H. (2017). The fascinating facets of plant selenium accumulation-biochemistry, physiology, evolution and ecology. New Phytologist. 213: 1582-96.
- Silva, V.M., Boleta, E.H.M., Martins, J.T., dos Santos, F.L.M., da Roscha-Silva, A.C., Alcock, T.D., Wilson, L., de Sá, M.E., Young, S.D., Broadley, M.B., White, P.J. and dos Reis, A.R. (2019). Agronomic biofortification of cowpea with selenium: effects of selenate and selenite applications on selenium and phytate concentrations in seeds. Journal of The Science of Food and Agriculture. 99: 5969-83.
- Xia, F.S., Wang, M.Y., Chen, L.L., Cheng, H., Sun, Y., Li, M.L., Dong. K.H., Zhao, X. and Mao, P.S. (2017). Responses of mitochondrial ultrastructure and physiological variations to PEG-priming on ultra-dried oat (Avena sativa L.) seeds after ageing. Seed Science and Technology. 45: 622-37.
- Xia, F.S., Wang, Y.C., Zhu, H.S., Ma, J.Y., Yang, Y.Y., Tian, R. and Dong, K.H. (2019). Influence of priming with exogenous boron on the seed vigour of alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Legume Research. 42: 795-99.
- Yang, S., Zu, Y., Li, B., Bi, Y., Jia, L., He, Y. and Li, Y. (2019). Response and intraspecific differences in nitrogen metabolism of alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) under cadmium stress. Chemosphere. 220: 69-76.
- Zhang, H., Li, X., Nan, X., Sun, G., Sun, M., Cai, D. and Gu, S. (2017). Alkalinity and salinity tolerance during seed germination and early seedling stages of three alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) cultivars. Legume Research. 40: 853-58.
- Zhang, W., Liang, L., Zhang, X., Chen, J., Wang, H. and Mao, P. (2019). Influence of alfalfa seed belts on yield component and seed yield in mainland China-A review. Legume Research. 42: 723-28.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.