Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Interactions of Biochar Briquette with Ammonium Sulfate Fertilizer for Controlled Nitrogen Loss in Soybean Intercopping with Melaleuca cajuputi
First Online 23-01-2021|
Methods: The study was conducted in the wet season from November to February 2020 at Menggoran Forest Resort, Playen Forest Section, Yogyakarta Forest Management District, Indonesia. The experiment was using a randomized complete block design factorial with three blocks as the response surface methodology. The treatments included different levels of biochar briquette from Melaleuca cajuputi waste (0, 2 and 4 grain plant-1 or 0, 5 and 10 tons ha-1) and nitrogen fertilizer supplied by ammonium sulfate (0, 50 and 100 kg ha-1) as independent variables. The observation parameters were nitrate reductase activity (NRA), total chlorophyll (TC), leaf photosynthesis rate (LPR), nitrogen loss (NL), nitrogen use efficiency (NUE) and seed yield (SY).
Result: The optimum values of 3.70 grain plant-1 or 9.25 tons ha-1 biochar briquette with 76.31 kg ha-1 ammonium sulfate fertilizer decreased NL by 38.25% and increased SY by 13.02% compared with single ammonium sulfate fertilizer.
- Abebe, Z. and Feyisa, H. (2017). Effects of nitrogen rates and time of application on yield of maize: Rainfall variability influenced time of N application. International Journal of Agronomy. 2017: 1-10.
- Akhtar, S.S., Li, G. andersen, M.N. and Liu, F. (2014). Biochar enhances yield and quality of tomato under reduced irrigation. Agricultural Water Management. 138: 37-44.
- Alam, T., Kurniasih, B., Suryanto, P., Basunanda, P., Supriyanta, Ambarwati, E., Widyawan, M.H., Handayani, S. and Taryono (2019). Stability analysis for soybean in agroforestry system with kayu putih. SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics. 51: 405-418.
- Alam, T., Suryanto, P., Handayani, S., Kastono, D. and Kurniasih, B. (2020). Optimizing application of biochar, compost and nitrogen fertilizer in soybean intercropping with kayu putih (Melaleuca cajuputi). Revista Brasileira de Ciência do Solo. 44: e0200003.
- Coumaravel, K., Santhi, R., Kumar, V.S. and Mansour, M.M. (2011). Biochar - A promising soil additive - A review. Agricultural Reviews. 32(2): 134-139.
- Coumaravel, K., Santhi, R. and Maragatham, S. (2015). Effect of biochar on yield and nutrient uptake by hybrid maize and on soil fertility. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 49(2): 185-188.
- Clough, T.J. and Condron, L.M. (2010). Biochar and the nitrogen cycle: Introduction. Journal of Environmental Quality. 39(4): 1218-1223.
- Dunjana, N., Nyamugafata, P., Shumba, A., Nyamangara, J. and Zingore, S. (2012). Effects of cattle manure on selected soil physical properties of smallholder farms on two soils of Murewa, Zimbabwe. Soil Use and Management. 28(2): 221-228.
- Emrich, W. (1985). Handbook of Biochar Making - The Traditional and Industrial Methods. Commission of the European Communities Directorate, Luxembourg City.
- Fageria, N.K. (2014). Nitrogen Management in Crop Production. CRC Press, New York, USA.
- Gross, J. (1991). Pigmentin Vegetable, Chlorophyll and Caretinoids. Van Nonstrand Reinhold, New York, USA.
- Hagner, M., Kemppainen, R., Jauhiainen, L., Tiilikkala, K. and Setälä, H. (2016). The effects of birch (Betula spp.) biochar and pyrolysis temperature on soil properties and plant growth. Soil and Tillage Research. 163: 224-234.
- Indonesian Legumes and Tuber Crops Research Institute. (2016). Description of Superior Varieties of Legumes 1918-2016. Indonesian legumes and Tuber Crops Research Institute, Malang, Jawa Timur, Indonesia. (Retrieved from http://balitkabi.litbang.pertanian.go.id/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/kedelai.pdf).
- International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) (2013). Fertilizer Deep Placement - IFDC. International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC). Solutions, USA. (Retrieved from https://ifdc.org/2013/09/23/fertilizer-deep-placement/).
- Kanouo, B.M.D., Allaire, S.E. and Munson, A.D. (2018). Quality of biochars made from eucalyptus tree bark and corncob using a pilot-scale retort kiln. Waste and Biomass Valorization. 9(6): 899-909.
- Koocheki, A., Nassiri Mahallati, M.N., Moradi, R. and Mansoori, H. (2014). Optimizing water, nitrogen and crop density in canola cultivation using response surface methodology and central composite design. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition. 60(2): 286-298.
- Krywult, M. and Bielec, D. (2013). Method of measurement of nitrate reductase activity in field conditions. Journal of Ecological Engineering. 14: 7-11.
- Li-Cor. (1999). Using the Li-6400 - Portable Photosynthesis System. LI-COR Inc., Lincoln, NE, USA.
- Loussaert, D., Clapp, J., Mongar, N., O’Neill, D.P. and Shen, B. (2018). Nitrate assimilation limits nitrogen use efficiency (NUE) in maize (Zea mays L.). Agronomy. 8(7): 110.
- Marquardt, D.W. and Snee, R.D. (1975). Ridge regression in practice. The American Statistician. 29(1): 3-20.
- Marschner, H. (2012). Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants. Academic Press, London, UK.
- Ministry of Agriculture. (2015). The 2015-2019 Strategic Plan. Ministry of Agriculture, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Mulyani, A., Nursyamsi, D. and Syakir, M. (2017). Strategy of land resource utilization to achieve sustainable rice self-sufficiency. Jurnal Sumberdaya Lahan. 11(1): 11-22.
- Myers, R.H., Montgomery, D.C. and Cook, C.M.A. (2009). Response Surface Methodology: Process and Product Optimization using Designed Experiments. John Wiley and Sons, NJ, USA.
- Nurmalasari, A.I., Supriyono, Suryanto, P. and Alam, T. (2020). Effectiveness of Melaleuca cajuputi biochar as a leaching loss for nitrogen fertilizer and intercropping in maize. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 54(4): 506-510.
- Purbajanti, E.D., Slamet, W., Fuskhah, E. and Rosyida (2016). Effects of organic and inorganic fertilizers on growth, activity of nitrate reductase and chlorophyll contents of peanuts (Arachis hypogaea L.). IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 250: 012048.
- Rathke, G.W., Behrens, T. and Diepenbrock, W. (2006). Integrated nitrogen management strategies to improve seed yield, oil content and nitrogen efficiency of winter oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.) - A review. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 117(2-3): 80-108.
- SAS Institute. (2013). SAS System for Windows 9.4. SAS Institute Inc., NC, USA.
- Solanki, A.C., Solanki, M.K., Nagwanshi, A., Dwivedi, A.K. and Dwivedi, B.S. (2018). Nutrient uptake and grain yield enhancement of soybean by integrated application of farmyard manure and NPK. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 7(9): 1093-1102.
- Statistics Indonesia. (2018). Volume and Value of Indonesian Soybean Imports (2013-June 2018). Statistics Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Suryanto, P., Faridah, E., Nurjanto, H.H., Supriyanta, Kastono, D., Putra, E.T.S., Handayani, S., Dewi, A.K. and Alam, T. (2020). Influence of Siam weed compost on soybean varieties in an agroforestry system with kayu putih (Melaleuca cajuputi). Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity. 21(77): 3062-3069.
- Torane, H.B., Kasture, M.C., Kokare, V.G. and Sanap, P.B. (2017). Effect of bio-degradable coated fertilizer briquettes and their application time on growth, yield and nutrient content on soil properties of cucumber in lateritic soil of Konkan Maharashtra. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 5(5): 27-32.
- Zhang, X., Huang, G., Bian, X. and Zhao, Q. (2013). Effects of root interaction and nitrogen fertilization on the chlorophyll content root activity, photosynthetic characteristics of intercropped soybean and microbial quantity in the rhizosphere. Plant, Soil and Environment. 59(2): 80-88.
- Zhao, H., Li, X. and Jiang, Y. (2019). Response of nitrogen losses to excessive nitrogen fertilizer application in intensive greenhouse vegetable production. Sustainability. 11(6): 1-15.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.