Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Full Research Article
Economic Analysis of Cluster Bean [Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub] Entrepreneurs in Karnataka
First Online 26-10-2021|
Background: Karnataka is predominantly known for cluster bean production. The evidences claims that the cluster bean production is not a profitable option and has many constraints, which hinders farmers to take up this enterprise. The current study aims to analyze the growth in area, to forecast seed demand and to work out the economics of cluster bean production in Karnataka.
Methods: The current study was based on the field survey conducted in Karnataka during 2019-20, to collect the primary data from cluster bean entrepreneurs. The study has also used secondary data for analysis. Four major districts in Karnataka were selected for the study, based on the maximum area and highest production. From each district, 30 farmers were randomly selected for collection of primary data, constituting a total of 120 farmers. The Compound Annual Growth Rate and cost-returns techniques were employed for data analysis.
Result: The study indicated that Karnataka has registered a declined trend of 3.12 per cent per annum and the total estimated area under cluster bean would be 2,720 ha during 2021-22. Hence, the seed industry should cater seed demand to the tune of 544 quintals for the said period. Total cost of cultivation was worked out to be ₹ 35,176 per acre. The study emphasize that this enterprise provides higher gross and net returns to the tune of ₹ 70,851 and ₹ 35,675 per acre, respectively, with the Benefit-cost ratio of 2.01, indicating its profitability. Lack of availability of High Yielding Varieties/hybrid seeds and high wage rate were the major constraints notified in cluster bean enterprise.
- Anonymous (2014). Package of Practice for Vegetable Crops, University of Horticultural Sciences, Bagalakote, Karnataka, India. pp: 89-91.
- Anonymous (2018). Horticultural Statistics at a Glance. Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare. Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers’ Welfare Horticulture Statistics Division. Government of India, New Delhi. pp: 349.
- Ashoka, N., Shrinivasulu, G.B., Anupama, G., Harshavardhan, M. and Kattiman, K.N. (2017). Economic analysis of production and marketing of Jasmine in Hyderabad Karnataka Region: A Case in Koppal District, India. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 6(9): 1702-1711.
- Ashoka, N., Lingamurthy, K.R., Dhanraj, P., Ravikuamr, B., Kustagi, G. and Anupama, G. (2019a). Area and seedlings forecast of tomato and economic analysis of nursery in Karnataka. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 8(4): 1709-1713.
- Ashoka, N., Ravi, Y., Lingamurthy, K.R., Ravikuamr, B. and Anupama, G. (2019b). A study on seedling demand and economic analysis of chilli nurseries in Karnataka. Journal of Crop and Weed. 15(2): 20-125.
- Ashoka, N., Ravi, Y., Lingamurthy, K.R., Ravikuamr, B. and Anupama, G. (2019c). Area and Seedlings Demand Forecast of Cabbage and Economics of Nurseries in Karnataka. Economic Affairs. 64(3): 495-501.
- Bhatt, R.K., Jukanti, A.K. and. Roy, M.M. (2017). Cluster bean [Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub.], an important industrial arid legume: A review. Legume Research. 40(2): 207-214.
- Jyani, M., Sharma, H. and Meera. (2018). An economic analysis of cluster bean in Bikaner district of Rajasthan. International Journal of Agriculture Sciences. 10(7): 5672-5675.
- Kays, S.E., Morris, J.B. and Kim, Y. (2006). Total and soluble dietary fiber variation in Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub. (Guar) genotypes. Journal of Food Quality. 29:383-391.
- Kushwah, A.S., Rawat, G.S., Gupta, S., Patil, D. and Prajapati, N. (2017). Production and profitability assessment of clusterbean [Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub.] based intercropping systems under different row arrangement. Legume Research. 40(5): 916-919.
- Mukhtar, H.M., Ansari, S.H., Bhat, Z.A. and Naved, T. (2006). Anti- hyperglycemic Activity of Cyamopsis tetragonoloba Beans on Blood Glucose Levels in Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Rats. Pharmaceutical Biology. 44(1): 10-13.
- Patil, K.R., Adivappar, N., Chinnappa, B. and Manjunatha, G.R. (2017). Economic analysis of commercial tomato nurseries. Journal of Crop and Weed. 13(1):137-41.
- Meena, S., Singh, I.P. and Meena, R.L. (2016). Cost of cultivation and returns on different cost concepts basis of onion in Rajasthan. Economic Affairs. 61(1): 11-16.
- Rai, P.S. and Dharmatti, P.R. (2013). Genetic divergence studies in cluster bean [Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub.]. Global Journal of Science Frontier Research Agriculture and Veterinary. 13: 1-5.
- Rajput, R.L. and Rawat, G.S. (2019). Yield and yield attributes as influenced by nutrient management practices in Pigeonpea and Clusterbean Intercropping System. Legume Research. 42(6): 834-837.
- Raju, R., Thimmappa K., Pathan, A.L. and Siddayya. (2017). Saline soil reclamation through subsurface drainage in Karnataka - An economic impact analysis. Journal of Farm Sciences. 30(1): 74-78.
- Sathyendrakumar, A.D. and Chandrashekar, H.M. (2015). Production performance of selected horticultural commodities in Karnataka. International Journal of Management Reviews. 5: 669-75.
- Singh, M., Kathwal, R. and Ran, E. (2019). Productivity, input and operational costs and marketing efficiency of guar [Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub]: A legume crop in Haryana. Legume Research. 40: 1-5.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.