Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
A Novel Seed Priming Technique for Enhancing Seed Vigour and Yield Potential in Marginal Vigour Seeds of Blackgram (Vigna mungo L.)
First Online 30-09-2021|
Methods: Experiment was carried out at National Pulses Research Centre, Vamban during 2016-18. Seed priming technology was developed by using marginal vigour lot of blackgram. The marginal vigour seeds were packed in gunny bag up to 3/4th level and soaked in water for 2 h and 4 h and incubated for 2 h, 4 h and 6 h. After the incubation period, seeds were dried back to original moisture content (9.0%) and seed quality parameters were analyzed. The best performing organic priming concentrations under laboratory were forwarded to field trial and yield parameters were assessed.
Result: Marginal vigour lot of blackgram seeds packed in gunny bag and soaked in seaweed extract @ 0.4% for 2 h and incubated for 4 h significantly increased the seed quality parameters. Among the various organic priming, marginal vigour lot of blackgram seeds packed in gunny bag and soaked in seaweed extract @ 0.4% for 2 h and incubated for 4 h significantly increased the seed quality parameters and yield over hydro priming and control.
- Ambika, S. and Balakrishnan, K. (2015). Enhancing germination and seedling vigour in cluster bean by organic priming. Science Research Essays. 10(8): 298-301.
- Andrade, S. and Laurentin, H. (2015). Effect of potassium nitrate on seed germination of three sweet pepper (C. chinense Jacq.) cultivars. Revista Unellez de Ciencia Tecnologia. 33: 25-29.
- Arif, M., Jan, M.T., Marwat, K.B. and Khan, M.A. (2007). Seed priming improves emergence and yield of soybean. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 40(3): 1169-1177.
- Bradford, K.J. (1986). Manipulation of seed water relations via osmotic priming to improve germination under stress conditions. Horticultural Science. 21(5): 1105-1112.
- Carlos, L.B., Scopel, A.L. and Sanchez, R.A. (1995). Plant photomorphogenesis in canopies, crop growth and yield. Horticultural Science. 30(6): 1172- 1181.
- Eisvand, M.R., Shahrosvand, S., Bahman Zahedi, B., Heidari, S. and Afrougheh, S. (2011). Effects of hydro priming and hormonal priming by gibberellin and salicylic acid on seed and seedling quality of carrot (Daucus carota var. sativus). Iranian Journal of Plant Physiology. 4: 233-239.
- Farooq, M., Shahzad, M.A., Abdul, B. and Nazir, W. (2010). Changes in nutrient-homeostasis and reserves metabolism during rice seed priming: Consequences for seedling emergence and growth. Agricultural Sciences in China. 9(2): 191-198.
- Girolamo, G.D. and Barbanti, L . (2012). Treatment conditions and biochemical processes influencing seed priming effective- -ness. Italian Journal of Agronomy. 7(2): 178-188.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. John Willey and Sons, New York.
- Hegarty, T.W. (1970). The possibilities of increasing field establishment by seed hardening. Horticulture Research. 10: 59-64.
- Hernandez, R., Lotourneria-Moreno, L., Ayala-Garay, O., Santamaria, J.M. and Pinzon-Lopez, L. (2014). Pre-sowing treatments: An option to increase germination of habanero pepper seeds (Capsicum chinense Jacq.). Agrociencia. 48: 413- 423.
- Kalarani, M.K. (1991). Senescence regulation in soybean. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. Coimbatore.
- Mahipal, C., Patel, B.A., Meena, V.S., Yadav, R.P. and Ghasal, P.C. (2019). Seed bio-priming of greengram with Rhizobium and levels of nitrogen and sulphur fertilization under sustainable agriculture. Legume Research. 42(2): 205-210.
- Major, D.J. and Dayanand, S. (1972). Hyperbolic relation between leaf area index and plant population in corn (Zea mays). Can. Journal of Plant Science. 52: 112-115.
- Mavi, K. (2018). Evaluation of organic priming to improve the emergence performance of domesticated Capsicum species. Seed Science and Technology. 46(1): 131-137.
- Mir, M.R., Mobin, M., Khan, N.A., Bhat, M.A., Lone, N.A. and Bhat, K.A. (2010). Crop responses to interaction between plant growth regulators and nutrients. Journal of. Plant Physiology. 2: 9-19.
- Natarajan, K. (2003). Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. of Seed Sci. Technol. Tamil Nadu Agric. Uni. Coimbatore, India.
- Powell. A.A. and Matthews, S. (1980). The significance of damage during imbibition to the emergence of pea (Pisum Sativum L.) seeds. Journal of Agricultural Science. 95: 35-38.
- Rajpar, I., Kanif, Y.M. and Memon, A.A. (2006). Effect of seed priming on growth and yield of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) under non-saline conditions. International Journal of Agricultural Research. 1: 259-264.
- Saha, R. and Basu, R.N. (1984). Invigouration of soybean seed for the alleviation of soaking injury and ageing damage on germinability. Seed Science and Technology. 12: 613-622.
- Taylor, A.G. and Harman, G.E. (1990). Concepts and technologies of selected seed treatments. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 28: 321-339.
- Varier, A. and Dadlani, M. (2010). The subcellular basis of seed priming. Curr Sci India. 99: 451-456.
- Vijaysingh, T., Patil, R.P., Patil, J.R., Suma, T.C. and Umesh, M.R. (2017). Influence of foliar nutrition on growth and yield of blackgram under rainfed condition. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 6(6): 33-37.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.