Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Evaluation of Mung Bean Germplasm [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] for Yield in Transitional Plain of Inland Drainage Zone of Rajasthan, India
First Online 02-04-2021|
Methods: The mung bean crop was raised during Kharif 2018 and 2019 at Agricultural Research Station, Fatehpur- Shekhawati, Sikar (Rajasthan). Seed yield and its ancillary characters have been observed by following standard protocols. Present experiment was conducted in randomized block design with three replications. The material was sown in a four row plot of 4 m length with a spacing of 30 cm between rows and 10 cm between plants.
Result: The performance of genotypes RMG 1098, RMG 1132, RMG 1134, RMG 1139 and RMG 1147 were superior to the zonal, state checks and other tested genotypes. The selected high yielding mung bean genotypes can increase farm output per se and farm profitability by sustaining soil health, fitness and productivity of this region.
- AICRP on MULLarp (2018). Project Coordinator Report- (2018-19) All India Coordinated Research Project on MULLaRP, ICAR- Indian Institute of Pulses Research, Kanpur-208 204, Uttar Pradesh, India, Pp 35-39.
- Baskaran, L., Sundararmoorthy, P., Chidambaram, A.L.A. and Ganesh, K.S. (2009). Growth and physiological activity of green gram [Vigna radiate (L.) Wilczek] under effluent stress. Bot. Res. Int. 2: 107-114.
- Belay, F., Meresa, H., Syum, S. and Gebresilasie, A. (2019). Evaluation of improved mung bean (Vigna radiata L.) varieties for yield in the moisture stress conditions of Abergelle Areas, Northern Ethiopia. Journal of Agricultural Science and Practice. 4(4): 139-143. https://doi.org/10.31248/JASP 2019.161.
- Burton, G.W. (1952). Quantitative inheritance in grasses. In: Proceeding of 6th International Grassland Congress, United States: Pennsylvania State College, pp. 277-283.
- Chandra, K., Nandini, R., Gobu, R., Kumar, C.B. and Muthuraju, R. (2019a). Insight into floral biology and ancillary characteristics of underutilized legume-Bambara groundnut [Vigna subterranea (L.) Verdc.]. Legume Research-An International Journal. 42(1): 96-101.
- Chandra, K., Prasad, R., Prasad, L.C., Madhukar, K., Rashmi, K. and Thakur, P. (2019b). Genetic variability of barley germplasm (Hordeum vulgare) for spot blotch disease resistance in natural and artificial epiphytotic condition. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding. 10(4): 1352-1366.
- Degefa, I., Petros, Y. and Andargie, M. (2014). Genetic variability, heritability and genetic advance in Mungbean (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek) accessions. Plant Science Today. 1(2): 94-98.
- Department of Agriculture, (2020). Government of Rajasthan, Agriculture statistic http://www.agriculture.rajasthan.gov.in/content/agriculture/en/Agriculture-Department-dep/agriculture-statistics.html Accessed on 28.09.2020 at 12.26 PM (IST).
- Department of Agriculture, Important Improved Agricultural techniques for Kharif crops (Hindi) Kharif-2019. Sikar Zone: Zone IIa, Joint Director Agriculture (Extension). Pp.38-39.
- Falconer, D.S. (1981). An introduction to quantitative genetics. New York: Longman, pp. 45.
- Garg, G.K., Verma, P.K. and Kesh, H. (2017). Genetic Variability, Correlation and Path Analysis in Green gram [Vigna radiate (L.) Wilczek]. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 6(11): 2166-2173.
- Hanumantha R.B., Nair, R.M. and Nayyar, H. (2016). Salinity and high temperature tolerance in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] from a physiological Perspective. Front. Plant Sci. 7: 957. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.00957.
- Johnson, H.W., Robinson, H.F. and Comstock, R.E. (1955). Estimates of genetic and environmental variability in soybean. Agronomy Journal. 47: 314-318.
- Kumar, P., Pal, M., Joshi, R. and Sairam, R.K. (2013). Yield, growth and physiological responses of mung bean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] genotypes to water logging at vegetative stage. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants. 19(2): 209-220.
- Makeen, K., Abrahim, G., Jan, A. and Singh, A.K. (2007). Genetic variability and correlations studies on yield and its components in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) wilezek] Journal of Agronomy. 6(1): pp. 216-218. DOI: 10.3923/ ja.2007.216.218.
- Muthu, M.C., Sushree, A. and Srivastava, R. (2018). Influence of production factors on seed quality parameters of green gram (Vigna radiata) CV. KKM-3. Legume Research. 41: 891-894.
- Nair, R.M., Pandey, A.K., War, A.R., Hanumantharao, B., Shwe, T., Alam, A.K.M.M. and Schafleitner, R. (2019). Biotic and abiotic constraints in mungbean production-Progress in genetic improvement. Frontiers in plant science. 10: 1340.
- Nair, R.M., Pandey, A.K., War, A.R., Hanumantharao, B., Shwe, T., Alam, A., Pratap, A., Malik, S.R., Karimi, R., Mbeyagala, E.K., Douglas, C.A., Rane, J. and Schafleitner, R. (2019). Biotic and Abiotic Constraints in Mungbean Production-Progress in Genetic Improvement. Front. Plant Sci. 10:1340. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2019.01340.
- Oplinger, E.S., Hardman, L.L., Kaminski, A.R., Combs, S.M. and Doll, J.D. (1990). Alternative Field Crops Manual- Mungbean. Available at: https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/mungbean.html (accessed February 10, 2021).
- Parida, G., Saghfi, S., Eivazi, A. and Akbarzadeh, A. (2018). Study of genetic advance and broad sense heritability for grain yield and yield components of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) genotypes. Advances in Biology and Earth Sciences. 3(1): pp.5-12.
- Patil, A.B., Desai, N.C., Mule, P.N. and Khandelwal, V. (2011). Combining ability for yield and component characters in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek.]. Legume Research. 34: 190-195.
- Piepho, H.P., Möhring, J., Melchinger, A.E. and Büchse, A. (2008). BLUP for phenotypic selection in plant breeding and variety testing. Euphytica. 161(1-2): pp.209-228.
- Pratap, A., Gupta, D.S. and Rajan, N. (2012). Breeding Indian Field Crops. Agro bios Publishers, New Delhi, India. p 208-227.
- Raghuvanshi, R.S., Singh, S., Bisht, K. and Singh, D.P. (2011). Processing of mungbean products and its nutritional and organoleptic evaluation. International journal of food science and technology. 46(7): 1378-1387.
- State released varieties of Mungbean in India Project Coordinator’s Report, AICRP on MULLaRP, ICAR, IIPR, Kanpur, 2017-18. http://dpd.gov.in/Varieties/Mungbean %20varieties. pdf Accessed on 02.10.2020 at 5.19 PM (IST).
- Williamson, D.F., Parker, R.A. and Kendrick, J.S. (1989). The box plot: a simple visual method to interpret data. Annals of internal medicine. 110(11): 916-921.
- Zhou, H., Zheng, D., Feng, N., Xiang, H., Liu, Y. and Liang, X. (2020). Grain Yield in Mung bean (Vigna radiata) is Associated with Spatial Distribution of Root Dry Weight and Volume. Legume Research. 43(3): 408-414.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.