Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Screening of Blackgram Genotypes for Drought Tolerance using PEG (Polyethylene Glycol) Induced Drought Stress at Seedling Stage
First Online 02-04-2021|
Methods: An experiment was conducted in order to study the effect of different concentrations (i.e., 0, 10, 20 and 30%) of polyethylene glycol (PEG) stress on germination and early growth stages of 28 genotypes of black gram. Different germination indices such as germination percent, radical length, plumule length, along with drought parameters like drought tolerance index was measured.
Conclusion: Results showed significant differences among the cultivars at each drought stress level and significant decrease was observed in germination, length of radical and plumule and radical and plumule dry matter parameters, among all the genotypes genotypes Nirmal 7, NRIB 002, MDU 1, VBN 8 and NUL 7 VISWAS showed their efficiency in terms of germination and germination attributes to with stand to the drought conditions.
- Babu, K. and Rosaiah, G. (2017). A study on germination and seedling growth of Blcakgram [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper] germplasm against Polyethylene glycol 6000 stress. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences (IOSR-JPBS). 12 (5): 90-98.
- Baroowa and Gogoi (2015). Changes in plant water status, biochemical attributes and seed quality of black gram and Green Gram Genotypes under Drought. International Letters of Natural Sciences. 42: 1-12.
- Bibi, H., Sadaqat, A., Tahir, M.H.N. and Akram, H.M. (2012). Screening of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor var moench) for drought tolerance at seedling stage in polyethylene glycol. The J. Animal Plant Scien. 22(3): 671-678.
- Datta, J.K., Mondal, T., Banerjee, A. and Mondal, N.K. (2011). Assessment of drought tolerance of [Vigna mungo (L.) Heeper] germplasm against Polyethylene glycol 6000 stress. ISOR Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. 12 (5): 90-98.
- Fatemeh Ahmadloo, Masoud Tabari, Behzad Behtari. (2011). Effect of drought stress on the germination parameters of Cupressus seeds. Int. J. Forest Soil and Erosion. 1(1): 11-17.
- Gupta, A.K., J. Singh, N. Kaur and R. Singh. (1993). Effect of polyethylene glycol induced water stress on germination and reserve carbohydrates metabolism in chickpea cultivars differing in tolerance to water deficit. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 31: 369-378.
- Hatem Zgallai, Kathy Steppe and Raoul Lemeur. (2005). Photosynthetic, physiological and biochemical responses of tomato plants to polyethylene glycol-induced water deficit. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology (Formerly Acta Botanica Sinica). Vol. 47 No. 12.
- Kaur, R., Kaur, J. and Bains, T.S. (2017). Screening of mungbean genotypes for drought tolerance using different water potential levels. Journal of Advanced Agricultural Technologies. 4 (2): 159-164.
- Khodarahmpour, Z. (2011). Effect of drought stress induced by polyethylene glycol on germination indices in corn (Zea mays L.) hybrids. Afr. J. Biotech. 10(79): 18222-18227.
- Partheeban, C., C.N. Chandrasekhar, P. Jeyakumar1, R. Ravikesavan and R. Gnanam. (2017). Effect of PEG Induced Drought Stress on Seed Germination and Seedling Characters of Maize (Zea mays L.) Genotypes. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 6(5): 1095-1104.
- Radhouane, L. (2007). Response of Tunisian autochthonous pearl millet [Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br.] to drought stress induced by polyethylene glygol 6000. African J. of Biotech. 6: 1102-1105.
- Rana, M.S., M.A. Hasan, M.M. Bahadur and M.R. Islam. (2017). Effect of polyethylene glycol induced water stress on germination and seedling growth of wheat (Triticum aestivum). The Agriculturists. 15(1): 81-91.
- Sabesan, T. and K. Saravanan. (2016). In vitro screening of indica rice genotypes for drought tolerance using polyethylene glycol. Int’l Journal of Advances in Agricultural and Environmental Engg. 3, Issue 2 (2016) ISSN 2349-1523 EISSN 2349-1531.
- Sivakumar, J., P. John Elia Prashanth and P. Osman Basha. (2017). Effect of polyethylene glycol induced water stress on morphological andbiochemical parameters in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) at seedling stage. International Journal of Recent Scientific Research. 9(1): 22933-22937.
- Van den Berg, L. and Y.J. Zeng. (2006). Response of South African indigenous grass species to drought stress induced by polyethylene glycol (PEG) 6000. Afr. J. Bot. 72: 284-286.
- Verslues. PE, Agarwal. M, Katiyar-Agarwal. S, Zhu. J and Zhu. JK. (2006). Methods and concepts in quantifying resistance to drought, salt and freezing, abiotic stresses that affect plant water status. Plant J. 45(4): 523-39.
- Yadav, S.K.N., Jyothi Lakshmi, Vikram Singh, Amol Patil, Yogesh Kumar Tiwari, E. Nagendram, P. Sathish, M. Vanaja, M. Maheswari and B. Venkateswarlu. (2013). In vitro screening of Vigna mungo genotypes for PEG induced moisture deficit stress. Ind. J. Plant Physiol. 18(1): 55-60.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.