Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Energy use and Economic Analysis for Achieving Target Yield through Site Specific Nutrient Management in Soybean (Glycine max L.)- Chickpea Cropping System (Cicer arietinum L.)
First Online 21-12-2020|
Methods: A field experiment was conducted at Agriculture Research Station, Janawada, Bidar during kharif and rabi seasons for two consecutive years (2014-15 and 2015-16) to know the energy use for achieving target yield. The experiement was laid out in randomized block design with three replications. The treatments viz., The two genotypes of soybean (JS335 and DSB 21) and chickpea (JG 11 and GBM 2) were tested for target yield of 2.0 t ha-1, 2.5 t ha-1, 3.0 t ha-1, 3.5 t ha-1, farmers practice and RDF were tested in medium black soils in randomized block design with three replications. The soil testing was carried out to determine the quantity of major nutrient for different target yields.
Result: The experimental results revealed that the significantly higher energy efficiency (5.28 MJ ha-1), net energy (1,71,039.00 MJ ha-1), energy productivity (0.40 kg MJ-1), energy intensity (1,71,039.00 MJ ha-1) in physical terms (13.29 MJ kg-1) and economic terms (3.68 MJ Rs.-1), crop profitability (723.53 Rs.ha-1 day-1), system profitability (417.05 Rs.ha-1day-1) and relative economic efficiency (2.75) and soybean equivalent yield (5683 kg ha-1) were noticed in JS 335/JG 11 + target yield 3.0 t ha-1 compared to rest of the treatments. Thus, it could be concluded that various efficiency indices also used as alternative indices for achieving target yield in cropping system.
- Billore, S.D., Ramesh, A., Joshi, O.P. and Vyas, A.K. (2009). Energy budgeting of soybean based cropping system under various tillage and fertility management. Indian Journal Agriculture Sciences. 79(10): 827-830.
- Devasenapathy, P., Ramesh, R.T. and Gangwar, B. (2008). Efficiency Indices for Agriculture Research. New India Publishing Agency, Pitampera, New Delhi, Pp: 65-113.
- Doberman, A., Simon, B., Simon, E. and Viacheslav (2004). A new site-specific nutrient management approach for maize in the favourable tropical environments of Southeast Asia. Better Crops. 90(2): 14-17.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1984). Statistical Procedure for Agricultural Research - An International Rice Research Institute Book, A Wiley Inter Science, John Wiley and Sons Inc. New York. USA.
- Honnalli, S.N. and Chittapur, B.M. (2014). Efficient cropping systems and their energetics for sustainable irrigated tropical ecosystems. Indian Journal of Agronony. 59(4): 556-560.
- Jain, N.K., Singh, H., Dashora, L.N. and Mundra, S.L. (2015). Diversification and intensification of maize (Zea mays)-wheat (Triticum aestivum) cropping system for sustainable productivity and profitability. Indian Journal of Agronony. 60(1): 38-44.
- Jackson, M.L. (1973). Soil Chemical Analysis, Prentice Hall of India Private Limited, New Delhi. Pp. 38-82.
- Kirankumar, T., Rana, D.S. and Mirjha, P.R. (2013). Legume stover and nitrogen management effects on system productivity, energetic and economics of wheat (Triticum aestivum) based cropping systems. Indian Journal of Agronony. 58(1): 19-26.
- Mandal, K.G., Saha, K.P., Ghosh, P.K., Hati, K.M. and Bandyopadhyay, (2002). Bioenergy and economic analysis of soybean based crop production systems in central India. Biomass and Bioenergy. 23: 337-345.
- Mauriya, A.K., Mauriya, V.K., Tripathi, H.P., Verma, R.K. and Radhey Shyam (2013). Effect of site-specific nutrient management on productivity and economics of rice (Oryza sativa)-wheat (Triticum aestivum) system. Indian Journal of Agronony. 58(3): 282-287.
- Olsen, S.R., Cole, C.V., Wantanabe, F.S. and Dean, L.A. (1954). Estimation of available phosphorus in soils by extraction with sodium bicarbonate. United State Department of Agriculture Circular p. 939.
- Shankar, M.A. and Umesh, M.R. (2008). Site specific nutrient management (SSNM) and methodology for achieving sustainable crop productivity in dry land alfisols of Karnataka. Tech. Bull. University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore (India).
- Shreeharshakumar, S.S. and Gaddanakeri, S.A. (2015). Site specific nutrient management for target yield and recovery in sugarcane. Karnataka Journal of Agriculture Science. 28(1): 16-19.
- Subbiah, B.V. and Asija, G.L. (1956). A rapid procedure for the estimation of available nitrogen in soils. Current Science. 25: 259-260.
- Walia, S.S., Gill, R.S., Aulakh, C.S. and Kaur, M. (2014). Energy efficiency indices of alternative cropping systems of North- West India. Indian Journal of Agronony. 59(3): 359-363.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.