Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Effect of Seed Hardening and Pelleting on Growth, Yield, Physiology and Resultant Seed Quality of Cowpea under Natural Saline Conditions
First Online 22-08-2020|
Methods: The present field and laboratory investigations were carried out to study the effect of seed hardening, seed pelleting and their combined effect on growth, physiology, yield and resultant seed quality of cowpea under natural saline conditions. The fresh seeds of cowpea seeds cv. CO (CP) 7 were hardened with KCl @ 1%, CaCl2 @ 1% and both KCl and CaCl2 @ 1% and then the hardened seeds were further pelleted with pungam leaf powder @ 100, 150 and 200 g kg-1 of seed. Then the treated seeds were evaluated for their seed productivity and resultant seed qualities using untreated seeds as control. Observations on growth, leaf chlorophyll content, gas exchange parameters, yield and resultant seed quality parameters were recorded.
Result: The experimental results revealed that among the treatments, seeds hardened with KCl @ 1 % + CaCl2 @ 1 % and pelleted with pungam leaf powder @ 200 g per kg recorded higher growth, yield parameters, leaf chlorophyll content, gas exchange parameters and resultant seed quality when compared to control and other treatments.
- Akshay, L, Kunghatkar, A.K., Chaurasia, Bineeta, M., Bara and Surya Prakash. (2018). Influence of seed hardening techniques on vigour, growth and yield in chickpea Cicer arietinum (L.). The Pharma Innovation Journal. 7(7): 528-531.
- Amin, Amir Zaman Khan, Asim Muhammad and Shad Khan Khalil. (2016). Influence of seed hardening techniques on vigour, growth and yield of wheat under drought condition. J. Agric. Stud. 4(3): 121-131.
- Ananthi, M., Selvaraju, P. and Srimathi, P. (2015). Effect of seed treatment on seed and seedling quality characters in Redgram cv. Co (Rg) 7. Inter. J. Sci. Nature. 6: 205-208.
- Anbarasan, R. (2011). Studies on effect of flyash seed pelleting on seed yield and quality in rice (Oryza sativa. L.) and cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.). M.Sc. (Ag) Thesis, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, India.
- Bandana Bose, A.K. Srivastava and Anaytullah Siddique. (2016). Impact of nirate salt hardened seeds and sowing dates on seedling stand, growth, yield attributes, nitrogen and stress metabolism of rice. Int. J. Agric. Environ. Biotechnol. 9(3): 381-392.
- Bhattacharya, S., Chowdhury, R. and Mandal, A.K. (2015). Seed invigoration treatments for improved germinability and field performance of soybean [Glycine max (L) Merill]. Indian. J. Agric. Res. 49: 32-38.
- Chaya Devi, K., Balakrishna, P. and Chandraprakash, J. (2017). Influence of seed pelleting on crop performance and seed yield in french bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) cv. Arka Anoop. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 6(3):1710-1715.
- Dileepkumar, A., Masuthi, B.S., Vyakaranahal and Deshpande, V.K. (2009). Influence of pelleting with micronutrients and botanicals on growth, seed yield and quality of vegetable cowpea. Karnataka J. Agric. Sci. 22: 898-900.
- FAO. (2016). Climate change adaptation and mitigation. The role of soils and pulses, soils and pulses - a symbiosis for life. Eds; Caon Lucrezia, Vargas Ronald and Wiese Lies. Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations Rome, P: 64.
- Grieve, CM, Suarez, D.L. (1997). Purslane (Portulaca oleracea L.): A halophytic crop for drainage water reuse systems. Plant Soil. 192: 277-283.
- Harish Babu, D.N., Kempegowds, M.L., Kalappa, N.D. and Rudra Naik, V. (2005). Comparative evaluation of different pelleting material on seed performance of French bean and green gram. Karnataka J. Agric. Sci. 18(1): 32-35.
- Isek, K., Takahashi, Y., Muto, C., Naito, K., Tamooka, N. (2016). Diversity and evaluation of salt tolerance in the Genus Vigna. PLOS ONE. 11(10): e0164711.
- Jun Min, H., Xiaoping, S., Jian, Z. (2000). Mitigative effects of hydration-dehydration treatments on salt stress induced injury to tomato seed germination. Deta Hort. Sinica. 27: 123-126.
- Kamaraj, A. and Padmavathi, S. (2012). Effect of seed enhance- -ment treatment using leaf extract on physiological and morphological characteristics of greengram (Vigna radiata L.) seed cv. ADT 3. Int. J. Curr. Agric. Res. 4 (11): 110-114.
- Krishnasamy, V. and Srimathi, P. (2001). Seed management of Rainfed Agriculture. In: Land use planning and watershed management in Rain fed Agriculture (ed.) Balusamy, M., C. R. Chinnamuthu and A. Velayutham. Centre of Advanced Studies, Department of Agronomy, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. Pp 10-144.
- Mamiro, P.S., Mbwaga, A.M., Mamiro, D.P., Mwanri, A.W. and Kinobo, J. L. (2011). Nutritional quality and utilization of local and improved cowpea varieties in some regions in Tanzania. Afr. J. Food Agric. Nutr. Dev. 11(1): 4490-4506.
- Manisathiya and Krishnaswa Muthuchelian. (2010). Evaluation of antioxidant and anti-tumor potentials of Prosopis juliflora DC. Leaves invitro. Pharmocology online. 2: 328-343.
- Mishra, N.M. and Dwivedi, D.P. (1980). Effect of pre-sowing seed treatment on growth and drymatter accumulation of high yielding wheats under rainfed conditions. Indian J Agron. 25: 230-234.
- Mishra, S.N. and Srivastava, H.S. (1983). Role of inorganic nitrogen in the synthesis and degradation of chlorophyll and cartenoids in maize leaves. Biol. Plantarum. 25: 21-27.
- Ophelia, A. (2017). Studies on the effect of seed pelleting and foliar spray treatments on seed yield and quality in black gram (Vigna mungo L.) cv. CO 6. M.Sc (Ag.) Thesis, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamil Nadu.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1985). Statistical methods for agricultural workers. ICAR, Publication, New Delhi.
- Petolino, J. and Leone, I. A. F. (1980). Saline aerosol some effects on the physiology of Phaseolus vulgaris. Phytopathology. 3: 229-232.
- Prajapati, KR., Patel, D.B., Kalyanrao Patil and Bhadane, RS. (2017). Effect of seed hardening on morpho-physiological and yield parameters in black gram (Vigna mungo L.). Inter. J. Chem. Studies. 5(4): 439-441.
- Prakash, M., Ophelia, A., Sathiyanarayaanan, G. and Anandan, R. (2018). Effect of organic seed pelleting on seedling quality, gas exchange, growth, yield and resultant seed quality parameters of black gram. Legume Res. DOl: 10.18805/LR-3965.
- Prakash, M., Pallavamallan, S., Sathiyanarayaanan, G. and Rameshkumar, S. (2018). Effect of seed pelleting with botanicals on germination and induced saline condition. Legume Res. DOl: 10.18805/LR-4060.
- Prakash, M., Sathiya Narayanan, G., Sunil Kumar, B. and Kamaraj, A. (2013). Effect of seed hardening and pelleting on seed quality and physiology of rice in aerobic condition. Agric. Sci. Digest. 33(3): 172-177.
- Pushpakaran, M., Vennila, S. and Palanirajan, K. (2018). Effect of seed pelleting on seed quality parameters in black gram [Vigna radiata (L). Hepper]. J Pharmacogn Phytochem. 7(14): 2926-2928.
- Rathinavel, K. and Dharmalingam, C. (2000). Effect of seed pelleting on elite seedling production in cotton cv. MCU7 (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Crop Res. 18(1): 137-141.
- SaiPradeep Kumar, B.S.R.V. (2015). Effect of seed invigouration and foliar spray treatments on seed quality and seed production in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) cv. VRI 1. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Annamalai University, Tamilnadu.
- Sathiyanarayanan, G., Prakash, M. and Sunilkumar, B. (2013). Quality seed production in mungbean under abiotic stress condition. LAM LAMBERT Academic Publishers, Germany.
- Sathiya Narayanan, G., Prakash, M. and Reka, M. (2016). Influence of seed hardening treatment on growth, gas exchange and yield parameters in black gram under drought condition. Legume Res. 39: 248-255.
- Sathya Narayanan, G., Prakash, M. and Reka, M. (2015). Influence of seed hardening cum foliar spray treatments on biometric, physiological and yield parameters in black gram under dryland condition. Agric. Sci. Digest. 35: 1-6.
- Savita Sangwan, D.V., Rao. and Sharma, R.A. (2010). A Review on Pongamia Pinnata (L) Pierre: A Great Versatile Leguminous Plant. Nature and Science. 8(11):130-139.
- Sen. and Misra. (1987). Seed soaking as a pre-soaking drought-hardening treatment in wheat and barley seedlings. Agron. J. 60 : 179-182.
- Singh, RV. (1982). Fodder trees of India. Oxford and IBH Co. New Delhi, India.
- Smartt, J. (1990). Grain legumes: Evolution and genetic resources. Cambridge, United Kingdom, Cambridge University Press.
- Stivesv, M.V., Ponnamoreva, S. and Kuznestova, E.A. (1973). Effect of salinization and herbicides on chlorophyllase activity in tomato leaves. Fiziol. Rast. 20: 62-65.
- Strogonov, B.P., Kabanov, V.V., Shevjakova, N.I., Lapina, L.P., Komizerko, E.I., Popov, B.A., Dastanova, R.K. and Pyrkhod L, S. (1970). Structure and function of plant cell under salinity. Moscow, Nauka, Russia.
- Suma, N. (2005). Seed Quality Enhancement Techniques in Sesame. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesi, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.
- Turan, M.A., Katkat, V. and Taban, S. (2007). Salinity induced stomatal resistance, proline, chlorophyll and ion concentration of bean. Int. J. Agric. Res. 2: 483-488.
- Yeo, A.R. and Flowers, T. J. (1983). Varietal difference in the toxicity of sodium ions in rice leaves. Physiol. Plant. 59: 189-195.
- Yoshida, S., Forno, D.A., Cock, J.H. and Gomez, K.A. (1971). Laboratory Manual for physiological studies of rice, IRRI, Las Bano, Laguna, pp. 83.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.