Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Seed Priming Influences the Seed Quality and Activities of Nitrate Assimilation and Anti-Oxidant Enzymes in Pigeon Pea Seedlings
First Online 15-05-2020|
- Abdul-Baki A S and Anderson J D. (1973). Vigour determination in soybean by multiple criteria. Crop Science. 13: 630-633.
- Aebi, H. (1984). Catalase in vitro. Methods in Enzymology. 105: 121-126.
- Anonymous (1999). International rules for seed testing. Seed Science and Technology. 27: 27-32.
- Arnon, D.I. (1949). Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology. 24: 1-15.
- Bates L.S. et al. (1973). Rapid determination of proline for water stress studies. Plant and Soil. 39: 205–207.
- Beevers, L. and Hugeman, R.H., (1969). Nitrate reductase in higher plants. Annals of Review of Plant Physiology. 20: 495- 522.
- Bhattacharya, S. Guha, P. and Mandol, A.K. (2019). Deteriorative changes in enzyme activity of non- invigorated soybean seeds [Glycine max (L.) Merrill, CV, Soyamax]. Legume Research- An International Journal. 42(5): 633-639.
- Bose Bandana and Mishra T. (1999). Influence of pre-sowing soaking treatment in Brassica juncea seeds with Mg salt on growth, nitrate reductase activity, total protein content and yield responses. Physiological Molecular Biology of Plant. 5: 83-88
- Bose Bandana and Mishra T. (2001). Effect of seed treatment with magnesium salts on growth and chemical attributes of mustard. Indian Journal of Plant Physiol. 6: 431-434.
- Bose B and Mishra T. (1992). Response of wheat seeds to pre-sowing seed treatment with Mg (NO3)2. Annals of Agriculture Research. 13: 132-136.
- Bose B. (1997). The influence of pre sowing soaking treatment of seeds with different nitrates on growth, nitrogen content and nitrate reductase activity in maize. Physiological Molecular Biology of Plant. 3: 81-84.
- Bose Bandana and Pandey MK. (2003). Effect of nitrate pre-soaking of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.) seeds on growth and nitrate assimilation of seedlings. Physiological Molecular Biology of Plant. 9: 287.
- Brockiehurst and Dearman (1983). Seed–A Global perspective [Eds –G. Kalloo, S.K. Jain, Alice K Vari and Umesh Srivastava], Indian Society of Seed Technology, New Delhi, 2006 pp 194-212 edited by K. Vanangamudi and A bharathi.
- Chawla Neena, Hardeep Kaur, Mamta Pathak and Rajinder Chawla (2014). Effect of different seed priming treatments on activity of Isozyme pattern of Antioxidant enzymes in okra. International Journal of Advance Research. 2(10): 662- 670.
- Chiu KY Wang CS Sung JM. (1995). Lipid peroxidation and peroxide scavenging enzymes associated with accelerated ageing and hydration of water melon seeds differing in ploidy. Physiologia Plantarum. 94(3): 441-446.
- Chen Keting and Arora Rajeev (2011). Dynamics of the antioxidant system during seed osmo priming, post priming germination and seedling establishment in spinach (Spinacia oleracea). Plant Science. 180(2): 212-220.
- Castillo, F.I., Penel, I. and Greppin, H. (1984). Peroxidase release induced by ozone in Sedum album leaves. Plant Physiology. 74: 846-851
- Drew RLK Hands LJ and Gray D. (1997).Relating the effects of priming to germination of unprimed seeds. Seed Science and Technololgy. 25: 537-548.
- Dell Aquila A and Tritto V. (1991). Germination and biochemical activities in wheat seeds following delayed harvesting, ageing and osmotic priming. Seed Science and Technology. 19: 73-82
- Dhedhi KK Dangaria CJ Parsana GJ and Joshi AK. (2006). Effect of pre sowing seed treatments for better crop establishment in summer groundnut. Seed Research. 34(2): 168-172.
- Dhindsa, R.A., Plumb-Dhindsa, P. and Thorpe, T.A. (1981). Leaf senescence: Correlated with increased permeability and lipid peroxidation and decreased levels of superoxide dismutase and catalase. Journal of Experimental Botany. 126: 93-101.
- Durran et al. (1983). Seed–A Global perspective Eds –G. Kalloo, S.K. Jain, Alice K Vari and Umesh Srivastava Indian society of seed technology, New Delhi, 2006 pp:194-212 edited by K. Vanangamudi and A. Bharathi.
- Food and Agricultural organization report. (2013). Fujikera and Karaseen. (1992). Seed–A Global perspective Eds – G. Kalloo, S.K. Jain, Alice K Vari and Umesh Srivastava Indian society of seed technology, New Delhi, 2006 pp:194-212 edited by K. Vanangamudi and A.Bharathi.
- Ferrari, T.E. and Varner, J. E., (1971). Intact tissue assay for nitrite reductase in barley aleurone layers. Plant Physiol. 47: 790-794.
- Heydecker W. (1973). Commercial exploitation of colouring, film coating, pelleting and seed invigoration technologies in high value crops seeds by K. Vanangamudi and A. Bharti In: [G. Kalloo, S.K. Jain, Alice K. Vari and Umesh Srivastava (Eds)] Seeds-A Global Perspective, ISST New Delhi, 2006. PP 194-212.
- Jaworski, K., (1971). Nitrate reductase assay in intact plant tissues. Biochem. Biophysics Research Communication. 43: 1274-1279.
- Jisha Kolothodi Chandran and Puthur Jos Thomas (2016). Seed priming with beta-amino butyric acid improves abiotic stress tolerance in rice seedlings. Rice Research. 23(5): 242-254.
- Khan, M.G. and Srivastava, H.S. (2000). Nitrate application improves plant growth and nitrate reductase activity in maize under saline conditions. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology. 5(2): 154-158.
- Kundu and Basu. (1981). Seed–A Global perspective [Eds –G. Kalloo, S. K. Jain, Alice K Vari and Umesh Srivastava] Indian society of seed technology, New Delhi, 2006 pp: 194-212 edited by K. Vanangamudi and A.Bharathi.
- Kumar Mahesh, Ravi P. Singh and Bandana Bose (2018). Effect of seed priming on the Activity of antioxidant enzymes and changes of biochemical of rice under timely and late sown conditions. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 7(5): 2985-2992.
- Mc Donald Miller B. (2000). Principles of Seed Science and Technology (4th Ed) Publisher-Springer. pp 277.
- Mauromicale (1994). Seed–A Global perspective. Eds –G. Kalloo, S.K. Jain, Alice K Vari and Umesh Srivastava Indian Society of Seed Technology, New Delhi, 2006 pp: 194- 212 edited by K. Vanangamudi and A. Bharathi
- Min Taigi (2001). Seed–A Global perspective Eds –G. Kalloo, S. K. Jain, Alice K Vari and Umesh Srivastava Indian society of seed technology, New Delhi,2006 pp:194-212 edited by K. Vanangamudi and A. Bharathi.
- Mishra RK and Sahoo N C. (2003). Effect of chemical priming and ageing on seed vigour and viability and enzyme activity in tomato and cauliflower. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology (Special Issue): 222-225.
- Muthuchelian, K., Murugan, C., Hari Govindan, R., Nedunchezhian, N. and Kulandaivelu, G. (1994). Effect of triacontanol in flooded (Erythrina variegate) seedlings on changes in 14CO2 fixation, ribulose 1, 5-biphosphate carboxylase, photosystem and nitrate reductase activities. Photosynthetica, 30: 407-413.
- Muhammad Ali, Sikandar Hayat, Husain Ahmad, Muhammad Imran Ghani, Bakht Amin. Muhammad Jawad Atif and Zhihui cheng (2019). Priming of Solanum melongena L. seeds enhances germination, alters antioxidant enzymes, modulates ROS and improves early seedling growth: indicating aqueous garlic extract as seed-priming bio- stimulant for eggplant production. Applied. Science 9(11): 2203; https://doi.org/10.3390/app9112203 Article
- Mukhtar, K, Afzal, I, Qasim, M, Maqsood, S, Basra A, Shahid, M (2013). Does priming promote germination and early stand establishment of french marigold (Tagetes patula L.) seeds by inducing physiological and biochemical changes? Acta Science. Pol., Hortorum Cultus. 12(3): 13-21.
- Pandita VK Nagarjun Shantha Sinha J P and Modi B S. (2003). Physiological and biochemical changes induced by priming in tomato seed and its relation to germination and field emergence characteristics. Indian J. Plant Physiology (special issue): 249-254.
- Richard, K.N. and Stanely, K., (1981). Rapid growth and apparent total nitrogen increase in rice and corn plant following applications of triacontanol. Plant Physiology. 68: 1279- 1284.
- Saxena and Singh (1987). Seed–A Global perspective Eds–G. Kalloo, S.K. Jain, Alice K Vari and Umesh Srivastava Indian society of seed technology, New Delhi, 2006 pp194-212 edited by K. Vanangamudi and A. Bharathi.
- Srivastava, A. K; Lokhande, V H. Patade, V Y. Suprasanna, P; Sjahril, R D, Stanislaus F, (2010) Comparative evaluation of hydro-, chemo- and hormonal-priming methods for imparting salt and PEG stress tolerance in Indian mustard (Brassica juncea L.). Acta Physiologiae Plantarum. 32(6): 1135-1144.
- Sung JM and Jeng T L. (1994). Lipid peroxidation and peroxide- scavenging enzymes associated with accelerated ageing of peanut seeds. Physiologia Plantarum. 91(1): 51-55.
- Thakur AS and Thakur PS. (2006). Effect of pre-sowing treatments on germination and seedling vigour in Dioscorea deltoida. Seed Research. 34(2): 162-167.
- Tiwari, T.N., Diptikamal, varun kumar, Chaturvedi A.K. and Rajendra Prasad S. (2013). Relative efficacy of in-organic salt as priming agent on germination, vigour, nitrate assimilation and yield in mung bean. Seed Research. 41(2): 180-189.
- Tiwari, T.N., Diptikamal, Rajiv K. Singh and S. Rajendra Prasad (2014). Relative efficacy of seed priming with potassium nitrate and tap water in relation to germination, invigoration, growth, nitrate assimilation and yield of pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan L). Annals of Agriculture Research. 35(2): 368-371
- Tiwari TN, Upadhyay, Neha and Prasad S R. (2018). Enhancement of seed quality through seed priming in pigeon pea. Journal of Food Legumes. 31(2): 88-92.
- Younesi Omid and Moradi Ali (2014). Effect of Priming of seeds of Medicago sativa Bami with gibberellic acid on germination, seedling growth and anti-oxidant enzymes activity under salinity stress. Journal of Horticultural Research. 22(2): 167-174.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.