Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Foliar application of urea and potassium chloride minimizes terminal moisture stress in lentil (Lens culinaris L.) crop
First Online 03-12-2019|
- Abdel-Motagally, F. M. F. (2014). Response of lentil to foliar application of potassium phosphate under different irrigation. Assiut J. Agric. Sci. 45: 28-38.
- Arabzadeh, N. (2013). The impact of drought stress on photosynthetic quantum yield in Haloxylon aphyllum and Haloxylon persicum. African J. Plant Sci. 7: 185-189.
- Arnon, D. I. (1949). Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts, polyphenoxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant physiol. 24: 1-15.
- Asadullah, M., Amir, M. M., Akhtar, M. A., Anwar, M. N. (2017). Mitigation of Drought Effects by Nitrogen Foliar Spray in Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). J. Agric. Basic Sci. 2: 2518-4210.
- Beg, M. Z. and Ahmad, S. (2012). Effect of potassium on mungbean. Indian J. Life Sci. 1: 109-114.
- Choudhary, G.L. and Yadav, L.R. (2011). Effect of fertility levels and foliar nutrition on cowpea productivity. J. Food Legumes 24: 67-68.
- Clarke, J.M., (1987). Use of physiological and morphological traits in breeding programmes to improve drought resistance of cereals. In: Drought Tolerance in Winter Cereals, [Srivastava J.P., Porcedo E., Acevedo E. and Varma S. (Eds.)], John Wiley and Sons, New York. pp 171–190.
- Das, A., Ramkrushna, G. I., Patel, D. P., Choudhury, B. U., Munda, G. C., Rajkhowa, D. J., Ngachan, S. V. (2012). Zero tillage pea, lentil and toria cultivation in rice fallow for diversification and resource conservation in hills. ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region, Umiam-793103, Meghalaya.
- Das, S. K. and Jana, K. (2015). Effect of foliar spray of water soluble fertilizer at pre flowering stage on yield of pulses. Agric. Sci. Digest. 35: 275-279.
- Dordas, C.A. and Sioulas C. (2008). Safflower yield, chlorophyll content, photosynthesis and water use efficiency response to nitrogen fertilization under rainfed conditions. Ind. Crops Prod. 27: 75-85.
- Egilla, J.N., Davies, F.T., Boutton, T.W. (2005). Drought stress influences leaf water content, photosynthesis and water-use efficiency of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis at three potassium concentrations. Photosynthetica. 43:135–140.
- Fageria, N. K., Barbosa Filho M. P., Moreira, A. and Guimaraes, C. M. (2009). Foliar fertilization of Crop Plants. J. Plant Nutr. 32: 1044–1064.
- Fanaei, H.R., Galavi, M., Kafi, M., Ghanbari Bonjar, A. (2009). Amelioration of water stress by potassium fertilizer in two oilseed species. Int. J. Plant Prod. 3: 41–54.
- Ge, T.D., Sun, N.B., Bai, L.P., Tong, C.L., Sui F.G. (2012). Effects of drought stress on phosphorus and potassium uptake dynamics in summer maize (Zea mays) throughout the growth cycle. Acta Physiol. Plant. 34: 2179–2186.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez A.A., (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research (2 Ed.). John wiley and sons, NewYork, 680p.
- Gou, W., Zheng, P., Tian, L., Gao, M., Zhang, L., Akram, N. A., Ashraf, M. (2017). Exogenous application of urea and a urease inhibitor improves drought stress tolerance in maize (Zea mays L.). J. Plant Res. 130: 599-609.
- Grzebisz, W., Gransee, A., Szczepaniak, W., Diatta, J. (2013). The effects of potassium fertilization on water-use efficiency in crop plants. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci.176: 355–374.
- Gunes, A., N. Cicek, A. Ina, M. Alpaslan, F. Eraslan, E. Guneri, T. Guzelordu (2006). Genotypic response of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) cultivars to drought stress implemented at pre and post-anthesis stages and its relations with nutrient uptake and efficiency. Plant Soil Environ. 52: 368–376.
- Hermans, C., Hammond, J.P., White, P.J., Verbruggen, N. (2006). How do plants respond to nutrient shortage by biomass allocation? Trends Plant Sci. 11: 610–617.
- Kanai, S., Moghaieb, R.E., El-Shemy, H.A., Panigrahi, R., Mohapatra, P.K., Ito, J., Nguyen, N.T., Saneoka, H., Fujita, K. (2011). Potassium deficiency affects water status and photosynthetic rate of the vegetative sink in green house tomato prior to its effects on source activity. Plant Sci. 180: 368–374.
- Lazcano-Ferrat, I. and Lovatt, C. (1999). Relationship between relative water content, nitrogen pools and growth of Phaseolus vulgaris L. and P. acutifolius A. Gray during water deficit. Crop Sci. 39: 467-475.
- Maathuis, F.J.M., Sanders, D. (1996). Mechanisms of potassium absorption by higher plant roots. Physiol. Plant. 96: 158–168.
- Maheswari, U. M., Karthik, A. (2017). Effect of foliar nutrition on growth, yield attributes and seed yield of pulse crops. Adv. Crop Sci. Tech. 5: 278.
- Majeed, S., Muhammad, A., Muhammad, L., Muhammad, I. and Hussain, M. (2016). Mitigation of drought stress by foliar application of salicylic acid and potassium in mungbean (Vignaradiata L.). Legume Res. 39: 208-214.
- Math, G., Vijayakumar, A.G., Hegde, Y. and Kumari, B. (2014). Study of different moisture stress mitigation techniques for rabi urdbean (Vigna mungo L. Hepper). Indian J. Dryland Agric. Res. and Dev. 29: 45-48.
- Nagraju, M. (2017). Drought management through foliar application and balance supply o nutrients in lentil. M. Sc. Thesis. Banaras Hindu University http://Krishikosh.egranth.ac.in/handler/1/5810074023.
- Namvar, A., Sharifi, R.S., Khandan, T. and Moghadam, M.J. (2013). Seed inoculation and inorganic nitrogen fertilization effects on some physiological and agronomical traits of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) in irrigated condition. J. Cent. Euro.Agric. 14: 28- 40.
- Nandwal, A.S., Hooda, A., Datta, D. (1998). Effect of substrate moisture and potassium on water relations and C, N and K distribution in Vigna radiata. Biol. Plant 41: 149–153.
- Palta, J.A., Nandwal, A.S., Kumari, S. and Turner, N.C. (2005). Foliar nitrogen applications increase the seed yield and protein content in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) subject to terminal drought. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 56: 105-112.
- Parimala, K., Muendel, H.H., Chaudary, M.F. (2013). Effect of nutrient sprays on yield and seedling quality parameters of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Pl. Arch. 13: 735-737.
- Pier, P.A., Berkowitz, G.A. (1987). Modulation of water stress effects on photosynthesis by altered leaf K+. Plant Physiol. 85: 655–661.
- Premachandra, G.S., Saneoka, H., Ogata, S. (1991). Cell membrane stability and leaf water relations as affected by potassium nutrition of water-stressed maize. J. Exp. Bot. 42: 739–745.
- Sardans, J., Peñuelas, J., Coll, M., Vayreda, J., Rivas-Ubach, A. (2012). Stoichiometry of potassium is largely determined by water availability and growth in Catalonian forests. Funct. Ecol. 26: 1077–1089.
- Wang, W.S., Wang, C., Pan, D.Y., Zhang, Y.K., Luo, B., Ji, J.W. (2018). Effects of drought stress on photosynthesis and chlorophyll fluorescence images of soyabean (Glycine max) seedlings. Int. J. Agric. Biol. Eng. 11: 196-201.
- Waraich, E.A., Ahmad, R., Saifullah, M.Y. A. and Ehsanullah (2011). Role of mineral nutrition in alleviation of drought stress in plants. Aust. J. Crop Sci. 5: 764-777.
- Yadav, G.S., Datta, M., Saha, P. and Debbarma, C. (2015). Evaluation of lentil varieties/lines for utilization of rice fallow in Tripura. Indian J. Hill Farm. 28: 90-95.
- Yadav, G. S., Lal, R., Meena, R. S., Datta, M., Babu, S., Das, A., Layek, J. and Saha, P. (2017). Energy budgeting for designing sustainable and environmentally clean/safer cropping systems for rainfed rice fallow lands in India. J. Clean. Prod. 158: 29-37.
- Yýldýztugay, E., ÖzfidanKonakçý, C., Küçüködük, M., Duran, Y. (2014). Modulation of osmotic adjustment and enzymatic antioxidant profiling in Apera intermedia exposed to salt stress. Turk. J. Bot. 38: 99–111.
- Yurtseven, E., Kesmez, G.D., U ¨ nlu¨kara, A. (2005). The effects of water salinity and potassium levels on yield, fruit quality and water consumption of a native central anatolian tomato species (Lycopersicon esculantum). Agric. Water Manage 78: 128–135.
- Zeidan, M.S. (2003). Effect of sowing dates and urea foliar application on growth and seed yield of determinate faba bean (Vicia faba L.) under Egyptian conditions. Egypt J. Agron. 24: 93-102.
- Zhang H., Niu X., Liu J., Xiao F., Cao S., Liu Y. (2013). RNAi-directed down regulation of vacuolar H+-ATPase subunit a results in enhanced stomatal aperture and density in rice. PLoS ONE 8.
- Zhang, L.X., Li, S.X., Liang, Z.S., Li, S.Q. (2009). Effect of foliar nitrogen application on nitrogen metabolism, water status and plant growth in two maize cultivars under short-term moderate stress. J. Plant Nutr. 32: 1861-1881.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.