Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Exogenous application of sulphydryl compounds enhances growth, photosynthetic efficiency and yield of moth bean (Vigna aconitifolia L.) under water limiting environment
First Online 05-06-2019|
- Asthir, B., Kaur, R. and Bains, N.S. (2015). Variation of invertase activities in four wheat cultivars as influenced by thiourea and high temperature. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 37: 1711 1719.
- Araujo, S.S., Beebe, S., Crespi, M., Delbred, B., Gonzalez, E.M., Gruber, V., Lejeune-Henaut, I., et al. (2015). Abiotic stress responses in legumes: strategies used to cope with environmental challenges. Critical Review of Plant Science, 34: 237-280.
- Burman, U., Garg, B.K. and Kathju, S. (2002). Effect of spacing on seed yield and physiological traits in moth bean (Vigna aconitifolia). Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 72:76–79.
- Burman, U., Garg, B.K. and Kathju, S. (2008). Influence of pre-and post-drought application of thiourea on growth, net photosynthesis and nitrogen metabolism of cluster bean. Annals of Arid Zone, 47: 177-184.
- Causton, D. R. (1991). Plant growth analysis the variability of relative growth rate within a sample. Annals of Botany, 67: 137–144.
- D’Souza, S.F., Nathawat, N.S., Nair, J.S., Radhakrishna, P., Ramaswamy, N.K., Singh, G. and Sahu, M.P. (2009). Enhancement of antioxidant enzyme activity and primary photochemical reactions in response to foliar applications of thiols in water stress in pearl millet. Acta Agronomica Hungarica, 57: 21–31.
- Garg, B.K., Burman, U. and Kathju, S. (2006). Influence of thiourea on photosynthesis, nitrogen metabolism and yield of cluster bean (Cyamopsis tetragonoloba L.) under rainfed conditions of Indian arid zone. Plant Growth Regulation, 48: 237–245.
- Gomez, K. A. and Gomez, A. A. (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. Willy. New York, NY:
- Hunt, R. (1978). Plant Growth Analysis, Edward Arnold, U.K. pp. 26–38.
- Jhanji, S. and Dhingra, M. (2018). Ameliorative effect of thiourea priming on germination characteristics of mung bean (Vigna radiata L.) under water and salinity stress. Legume Research, DOI: 10.18805/LR-3966.
- Kaya, C., Ashraf, M. and Sönmez, O. (2015). Promotive effect of exogenously applied thiourea on key physiological parameters and oxidative defense mechanism in salt-stressed Zea mays L. plants. Turkish Journal Botany, 39: 786 795.
- Kumar, A. Sharma, K. D. and Yadav, A. (2013). Improving physiological traits and yield by management practices in late planted wheat. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology, 18: 282–284.
- Mannervik, B. and Guthenberg, C. (1981). Glutathione transferase (human placenta). Methods in Enzymology, 77: 231-235.
- Meena, H., Meena, R. S., Lal, R, Yadav, G.S., Mitran, T., Layek, J., Patil, S.B., Kumar, S. and Verma, T. (2017). Response of sowing dates and bio regulators on yield of clusterbean under current climate in alley cropping system in eastern U.P., India. Legume Research, DOI: 10.18805/LR-3759. 41: 563-571.
- Nathawat, N.S., Nair, J.S., Kumawat, S.M., Yadava, N.S., Singh, G., Ramaswamy, N.K., Sahu, M.P. and D’Souza, S.F. (2007). Effect of seed soaking with thiols on the antioxidant enzymes and photosystem activities in wheat subjected to water stress. Biologia Plantarum, 51: 93–97.
- Nathawat, N.S., Rathore, V.S., Meel, B., Bhardwaj, S. and Bhargava, R. (2018). Exogenous Sulphydryl improves membrane stabilization, photosynthesis and antioxidant defense systems in Vigna aconitifolia L. under water stress. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India Section B: Biological Sciences, 88(3): 875–885.
- Nathawat, N.S., Rathore, V.S., Meel, B., Bhardwaj, S. and Yadava, N.D. (2016). Enhancing yield of clusterbean (Cyamops is tetra- gonoloba L. Taub) with foliar application of sulphydryl compounds under hot arid conditions. Experimental Agriculture, 52 (3): 418-433.
- Pandey, M., Srivastava, A.K., D’Souza, S.F. and Penna, S. (2013). Thiourea, a ROS scavenger, regulates source-to-sink relationship to enhance crop yield and oil content in Brassica juncea (L.). PLOS One, 8: Article Number: e73921.
- Perveen, S., Farooq, R. and Shahbaz, M. (2016). Thiourea-induced metabolic changes in two mung bean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] (Fabaceae) varieties under salt stress. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology, 39: 41 54.
- Ramaswamy, N.K., Nathawat N.S., Nair, J.S., Sharma, H.R., Kumawat, S.M., Singh, G., Sahu, M.P. and D’Souza, S.F. (2007). Effect of seed soaking with sulphydryl compound on the photochemical efficiency and antioxidant defense system during the growth of pearl millet under water limiting environment. Photosynthetica, 45: 477–480.
- Rathore V.S., Singh J.P., Beniwal R.K. (2009). Rainfed farming systems of hyper arid north-western Rajasthan: An analysis. Annals of Arid Zone, 48: 125-131.
- Ratnakumar, P., Khan, M.I.R., Minhas, P.S., Farooq, M.A., Sultana, R., Per, T.S., Deokate, P.P., Khan, N.A. and Rane, J. (2016). Can plant bio-regulators minimize crop productivity losses caused by drought, heat and salinity stress? An integrated review. Journal of Applied Botany and Food Quality, 89: 113 125.
- Sahu, M.P. and Singh, D. (1995). Role of thiourea in improving productivity of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Growth Regulation, 14: 169-173.
- Shaedle, M. and Bassham, J.A. (1997). Chloroplast glutathione reductase. Plant Physiology, 59: 1011-1012.
- Srivastava, A.K., Nathawat, N.S., Ramaswamy, N.K., Sahu, M.P., Singh, G., Nair, J.S., Paladi, R.K. and D’Souza, S.F. (2008). Evidence for thiol-induced enhanced in situ translocation of 14C – sucrose from source to sink in Brassica juncea. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 64: 250-255.
- Srivastava, A.K., Ratnakumar, P., Minhas, P.S. and Suprasanna, P. (2016). Plant bioregulators for sustainable agriculture; integrating redox signaling as apossible unifying mechanism. Advances of Agronomy, 137: 237–278.
- Tesfaye, K., Walkerb, S. and Tsubob, M. (2006). Radiation interception and radiation use efficiency of three grain legumes under water deficit conditions in a semi-arid environment. European Journal of Agronomy, 25: 60-70.
- Vineeth, T.V. Pramod Kumar and Jasvir Singh. (2017). Bioregulators protected the leaf anatomy and photosynthetic machinery under water deficit stress in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Legume Research, 40 (2) : 250-256.
- Wahid A., Basra, S. M. A. and Farooq, M. (2017). Thiourea: A molecule with immense biological significance for plants. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 19: 911-920.
- Wakchaure, G.C., Minhas, P.S., Ratnakumar, P. and Choudhary, R.L. (2016). Effect of plant bioregulators on growth, yield and water production functions of sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]. Agricultural Water Management, 177 : 138–145.
- Watson, D.J. (1947). Comparative physiological studies on the growth of field crops. I. variation in net assimilation rate and leaf between species and varieties and within and between years. Annals of Botany, 11: 41–76.
- Williams, R. F. (1948). The physiology of plant growth with special reference to the concept of net assimilation ratio. Annals of Botany, 10: 41–62.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.