Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Seed priming improves irrigation water use efficiency, yield and yield components of summer cowpea under limited water conditions
First Online 18-09-2017|
- Abayomi, Y.A and Abidoye, T.O., (2009). Evaluation of cowpea genotypes for soil moisture stress tolerance under screen house conditions. African Journal of Plant Sciences, 3 (10): 229–237.
- Afzal, I., Munir, F., Ayub, C. M., Basra, S. M. A., Hameed, A. and Nawaz, A., (2009). Changes in antioxidant enzymes, germination capacity and vigour of tomato seeds in response of priming with polyamines. Seed Science & Technology, 37: 765- 770.
- Ajouri, A., Asgendom, H. and Becker, M., (2004). Seed priming enhances germination and seedling growth of barley under conditions of P and Z deficiency. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science,167: 630 - 636.
- Arshad Aslam, Noorul Amin, Neelam Ara, Murad Ali and Imran Ali., (2013). Effect of various sources and durations of priming in spinach seeds. Pakistan Journalof Botany, 45 (3): 773 – 777.
- Ali, H., Nadeem Iqbal, Ahmad Naeem Shahzad, Naeem Sarwar, Shakeel Ahmad and Athar Mehmood., (2013). Seed priming improves irrigation water use efficiency, yield, and yield components of late-sown wheat under limited water conditions. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and forestry, 37: 534 – 544.
- Bhattacharya, A. and Sharma, D.K. (2001). Flower drop in pigeonpea: Effect of physiological traits under normal and late seeding. Legume Research, 24(4): 231 - 237.
- Bradford, K.J., (1986). Manipulation of seed water relations via osmotic priming to improve germination under stress condition. HortScience,21: 1105 – 1112.
- Casenave, E. C. and Toselli, M. E., (2010). Germination of melon seeds under water and heat stress: Hydro-priming and the hydrotime model. Seed Science and Technology, 38: 409 - 420.
- Demir, I. and Mavi, K., (2004). The effect of priming on seedling emergence of differentially matured watermelon (Citrullus lanatus (Thunb) Matsunand Nakai) seeds.Scientia Horticulturae, 102 (4): 467 – 473.
- Ebadi Ali and Sajed Gollojeh Kamel, (2009). Effect of seed priming on growth and yield of chickpea under saline soil. Recent Research in Science and Technology, 1 (6): 282 – 286.
- EL Niam, A.M. and Jabereldar, A.A., (2010). Effect of plant density and cultivar on growth and yield of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.Walp). Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 4 (8): 3148 – 3153.
- Fabunmi, T.O., Gladamosi, B.K. and Adigbo, S.O., (2012), Seed hydro – priming and early moisture stress impact on biomass production and grain yield of cowpea. International Journal of Applied Sciences and Technology, 10 (2): 112 – 122.
- Farooq M., Basra S. M. A., Hafeez-u-Rehman and Saleem B. A., (2008). Seed priming enhances the performance of late sown wheat (Triticum aestivumL.) by improving chilling tolerance. J. of Agronomy and Crop Science, 194(1): 55-60.
- Fereres, E. and Soriano, M.A., (2007). Deficit irrigation for reducing agricultural water use. Journal of Experimental Botany,58: 147 –159.
- Fisher, R.A. and Yates, F., (1963). Statistical Tables for Biological, Agricultural and Medical Research, Edition 6. Published by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A., (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research 2nd Edition Wiley Publication New York P- 680.
- Gupta, A., Darlene, M., Arun Kumar, M.B., Roy, M., Naseem, M., Choudhary, V.K. and Maiti, R.K., (2008) Seed priming aftermath. Int. J. Agric. Environ. Biotechnol., 1: 199 – 209.
- Harris, D., Joshi, A., Khan, P.A., Gothkar, P. and Sodhi, P.S., (1999). On-farm seed priming in semi-arid agriculture: Development and evaluation in maize, rice and chickpea in India using participatory methods. Experimental Agriculture,35: 15 – 29.
- Harris, D., Raghuwnashi, B.S., Gangwar, J.S., Singh, S.C., Joshi, K.D., Rashid, A. and Hollington, P.A. (2001). Participatory evaluation by farmers of ‘on farm’ seed priming in wheat in India, Nepal and Pakistan. Experimental Agriculture, 37: 403-415.
- Jaliban Jalal, Khalilzadeh Razieh and Khanpaye Edris.,( 2014). Improving of barley seedling growth by seed priming under water deficit stress. Journalof Stress Physiology and Biochemistry, 10 (2): 125 – 134.
- Janmohammadi, M., Bashiri, A., Asghari - Shirgan, R., Sabaghnia, N., (2013). Impact of pre-sowing seed treatment and fertilizer on growth and yield of chickpea under rainfed conditions. Natura Montenegrina podgorica,12 (1): 217 – 229.
- Kalpana, Butt, A., Khan, A.H., Singh, A.K., Maurya, K.N., Mubeen, Yadav, R.K., Uma Singh and Gautam, A.R., (2015). Effect of different seed priming treatments on germination, growth, biochemical changes and yield of wheat varieties under sodic soils. International Journal of Science and Research. 4(7): 306 – 307.
- Khan, M. and Khan, N.A., (2001). Response of mustard and wheat to pre-sowing seed treatment with pyridoxine and basal level of calcium. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology,6: 300-305.
- Manjunath, B.J. and Dhanoji, M.M., (2011). Effect of seed hardening on growth and yield of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.).Advances in Agriculture and Botanics International Journal of the Bioflux Society,3(1): 1 – 4.
- Mohammad Mazid., (2014). Seed priming application of gibberellic acid on growth, biochemical, yield attributes and protein status of chickpea. International Journal of genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, 5 (1): 17 – 22.
- Shabbir, I., Shakir, M., Ayub, M., Tahir, M., Tanveer, A., Shahbaz, M. and Hussain, M., (2013). Effect of seed priming agents on growth, yield and oil contents of fennel. Advances in Agriculture and biology,1: 58 - 62
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1967). Statistical Methods, 6th ed. Iowa State University Press: Ames.
- Tiwari, T.N., Dipti Kamal, Rajiv K. Singh and Rajendra Prasad, S., (2014). Relative efficacy of seed priming with potassium nitrate and tap water in relation to germination, invigoration, growth, nitrate assimilation and yield of pigeonpea. Annals of Agricultural Research New series,35 (2): 167 – 170.
- Zimmermarin, M.J., Rocha, M. and Yolanda, T., (1988). Bean Crop: Factors affecting productivity. Brazilian Association for the Presence of Potash and Phosphate, Piracicaba, Brazil, pp 317 – 340.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.