Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Proximate composition, nutritional profile and health benefits of legumes – A review
First Online 23-10-2017|
- Aiyer, Y.N. (1990). Horsegram, In: Field Crops of India. Bangalore Press, Bangalore. 115-117.
- Anderson, J., Anthony, M., Cline, J., Washburn, S. and Garner, S. (1999). Health potential of soy isoflavones for menopausal women. Public Health Nutr. 2: 489-504.
- Bhatt, R. and Karim, A.A. (2009). Exploring the nutritional potential of wild and underutilized legumes. Compr. Rev. Food Sci. Food Saf. 8: 305-331.
- Bird, A.R., Conlon, M.A., Christopherson, C.T. and Topping, D.L. (2010). Resistant starch, large bowel fermentation and a broader perspective of prebiotics and probiotics. Benef. Microbes. 1: 423-31.
- Bouchenak, M. and Lamri-Senhadji, M. (2011). Nutritional quality of legumes, and their role in cardiometabolic risk prevention: a review. J. Med. Food. 16: 1-4.
- Curran, J. (2012). The nutritional value and health benefits of pulses in relation to obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Br. J. Nut. 108: S1-S2.
- Derbyshire, E. and Boulter, D. (1976). Isolation of legumin-like protein from Phaseolus aureus and Phaseolus vulgaris. Phytochemistry. 15(3): 411-414.
- Dias, J.S. (2012). Nutritional Quality and Health Benefits of Vegetables: A Review. Food Nutr. Sci. 3: 1354-1374.
- Duranti, M. (2006). Grain legume proteins and nutraceutical properties. Fitoterapia. 77: 67-82.
- Ekanayake, S., Jansz, E.R. and Nair B.M. (2000). Literature review of an underutilized legume:Canavalia gladiata L. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 55: 305-321.
- FAO. (2004). Definition and classification of commodities, 4 pulses and derived products. Available from: http://www.fao.org/es/ faodef/fdef04e.
- Faris, M.A., Takruri, H.R., Shomaf, M.S. and Bustanji, Y.K. (2009). Chemopreventive effect of raw and cooked lentils (Lens culinaris L) and soybeans (Glycine max) against azoxymethane-induced aberrant crypt foci. Nutr. Res. 29: 355-362.
- Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations. (2014). Research approaches and methods for evaluating the protein content of foods. Report of a expert working group.
- Gebrelibanos, M., Tesfaye, D., Raghavendra, Y. and Sintayeyu, B. (2013). Nutritional and health implications of legumes. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Res. 4: 1269-1279.
- German, J.B. and Dillard, C.J. (2004). Saturated Fats: What Dietary Intake? Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 80: 550-559.
- Gibson, R.S., Heath, A.L. and Szymlek-Gay, E.A. (2014). Is iron and zinc nutrition a concern for vegetarian infants and young children in industrialized countries? Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 100: 459S-468S.
- Gopalan, C., Rama Sastri, B.V. and Balasubramanian, S.C. (1989). Nutritive value of Indian foods, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad. 47-48, 59-60, 68-69, 81.
- Graf, E. and Eaton, J.W. (1993). Supression of colonic cancer by dietary phytic acid. Nutr. Cancer. 19: 11-19.
- Gueguen, J. and Cerletti, P. (1994). Proteins of some legume seeds, soybean, pea, fababean and lupin. In: Hudson BJF, editor. New and developing sources of food proteins. Chapman and Hall. New York: 145.
- Hayat, I., Ahmad, A., Ahmed, A., Khali, S. and Gulfraz, M. (2014). Exploring the potential of red kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) to develop protein based product for food applications. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 24(3): 860-868.
- Hedges, R., Tucker, K., Hirano, M. and Caballero, B. (1997). Epidemic optic and peripheral neuropathy in Cuba: the unique geopolitical public health problem. Surveys Ophthalmol. 41: 341-353.
- Hoover, R. and Zhou Y. (2003). In vitro and in vivo hydrolysis of legume starches by a amylase and resistant starch formation in legumes-A review. Carbohydr. Polym. 54: 401-417.
- Hunt, J.R. (2003). Bioavailability of iron, zinc and other trace minerals from vegetarian diets. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 78(3): 63S-69S.
- Jain, A.K., Kumar, S. and Panwar, J.D.S. (2009). Antinutritional factors and their detoxification in Pulses- A review. Agric. Rev. 30(1): 64-70.
- Jenkins, D.J., Kendall, C.W., Augustin, L.S., Mitchell, S., Sahye-Pudaruth, S., Blanco Mejia, S. (2012). Effect of legumes as part of a low glycemic index diet on glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trial. Arch. Intern. Med. 172: 1653-1660.
- Kalogeropoulos, N., Chiou, A., Ioannou, M., Karathano,s V.T., Hassapidou, M. and Andrikopoulos, N.K. (2010). Nutritional evaluation and bioactive microconstituents (phytosterols, tocopherols, polyphenols, triterpenic acids) in cooked dry legumes usually consumed in Mediterranean countries. Food Chem. 121: 682-690.
- Khogare, D.T. (2012). Effect of dietary fibre on blood lipid profile of selected respondent. Int. Food Res. J. 19(1): 297-302.
- Khoury, C.K. (2015). The conservation and use of crop genetic resources for food security. Ph. D. thesis, Wageningen University, Wageningen, NL. 188.
- Kigel, J. (1999). Culinary and nutritional quality of Phaseolus vulgaris seeds as affected by environmental factors. Biotech. Agron. Soc. Environ. 3: 205-209.
- Kouris-Blazos, A. and Belski, R. (2016). Health benefits of legumes and pulses with a focus on Australian sweet lupins. Asia Pac. J. Clin. Nutr. 25(1): 1-17.
- Kumar, V., Sinha, A.K., Makkar, H.P.S. and Becker, K. (2010). Dietary roles of phytate and phytase in human nutrition: A review. Food Chem. 120: 945-959.
- Li, S.S., Kendall, C.W.C, de Souza, R.J., Jayalath, V.H., Cozma, A.I., Ha, V., Mirrahimi, A., Chiavaroli, L., Augustin, L.S.A. , Mejia, S.B., Leiter, L.A., Beyene, J., Jenkins, D.J.A. and Sievenpiper, J.L. (2014). Dietary pulses, satiety and food intake: a systematic review and meta-analysis of acute feeding trials. Obesity. 22: 1773-1780.
- Lopez, H.W., Krespine, V., Guy, C., Messager, A., Demigne, C. and Remesy, C. (2001). Prolonged fermentation of whole wheat sourdough reduces phytate level and increases soluble magnesium. J. Agric. Food Chem. 49: 2657-2662.
- Martone, S.J., Muci-Mendoza, R., Reyes, L., Silva, J.C. and Caballero, B. (1994). Epidemic optic neuropathy in Cuba: eye findings. Arch. Ophthalmol. 112: 691-699.
- Messina, M.J. (1999). Legumes and soybeans: overview of their nutritional profiles and health effects. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 70: 439S-450S.
- Midorikawa, K., Murata, M., Oikawa, S., Hiraku, Y. and Kawanishi, S. (2001). Protective effect of phytic acid on oxidative DNA damage with reference to cancer chemoprevention. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 288: 552-557.
- Mohan, R.J., Sangeetha, A., Narsimha, H.V. and Tiwari, B.K. (2011). Post-harvest technology in pulses In: Tiwari, B.K., A. Gowen, and B. McKenna (Eds), Pulse Foods: Processing, Quality and Nutraceutical Applications. Academic Press, London. 174-175.
- Mollard, R.C., Wong, C.L., Luhovyy, B.L. and Anderson, G.H. (2011). First and second meal effects of pulses on blood glucose, appetite, and food intake at a later meal. Applied Physiol. Nutr Metab. 36: 634-642.
- Morris, J.B., M.L. Wang, M.A. Grusak, and B. Tonnis (2013). Fatty Acid, flavonol, and mineral composition variability among seven Macrotyloma uniflorum (Lam.) Verdc. accessions. Agriculture-London 3: 157-169.
- Mudryu, A.N., Yu, N. and Aukema, H.M. (2014). Nutritional and health benefits of pulses. Appl. Physio. Nutr. Metab. 39: 1197-1204.
- Munro, S. (2007). Legumes, in Essentials of Human Nutrition. In: J. Mann and A. Truswell, Eds. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 356-358.
- Murray, D.R. (1979). A storage role for albumins in pea cotyledons. Plant Cell Environ. 2: 221-226.
- Ofuya, Z.M. and Akhidue, V. (2005). The Role of Pulses in Human Nutrition- A Review. J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Mgt. 9(3): 99-104.
- Ordunez-Garcia, O., Nieto, J.F., Espinosa-Brito, A.D. and Caballero, B. (1996). Cuban epidemic neuropathy, 1991-1994: history repeats itself a century after the “amblyopia of the blockade”. Am. J. Public Health. 86(5): 738-743.
- Papanikolaou, Y. and Fulgoni, V.L. (2008). Bean consumption is associated with greater nutrient intake, reduced systolic blood pressure, lower body weight, and a smaller waist circumference in adults: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 27: 569-576.
- Pugalenthi, M., Vadivel, V. and Siddhuraju, P. (2005). Alternative food/feed perspectives of an underutilized legume Mucuna pruriens var. Utilis-A review. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 60: 201-218.
- Reddy, B. S. (1999). Role of dietary fiber in colon cancer: An overview. Amer. J. Med. 106(1A): 16S–19S.
- Sardana, V., Sharma, P. and Sheoran, P. (2010). Growth and production of pulses. In: Soils, Plant Growth and Crop Production-Vol III- Growth and Production of Pulses. Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems. Available on http://www.eolss.net/sample-chapters/ c10/e1-05a-44-00.pdf.
- Shamsuddin, M., Vucenik, I. and Cole, K.E. (1997). IP6: A novel anti-cancer agent. Life Sci. 61: 343-354.
- Sievenpiper, J.L., Kendall, C.W., Esfahani, A., Wong, J.M., Carleton, A.J., Jiang, H.Y., Bazinet, R.P., Vidgen, E. and Jenkins, D.J. (2009). Effect of non-oil-seed pulses on glycaemic control: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled experimental trials in people with and without diabetes. Diabetologia. 52: 1479-1495.
- Sreerama, Y.N., Sashikala, V.B., Pratape, V.M. and Singh, V. (2012). Nutrients and antinutrients in cowpea and horsegram flours in comparison to chickpea flour: Evaluation of their flour functionality. Food Chem. 131: 462-468.
- Sudha, N., Begum, J.M., Shambulingappa, K.G. and Babu, C.K. (1995). Nutrients and some anti-nutrients in horsegram (Macrotyloma uniflorum (Lam.) Verdc). Food Nutr. Bull. 16(1): 100.
- Thompson, L.U. and Zhang, L. (1991). Phytic acid and minerals: effect on early markers for mammary and colon carcinogenisis. Carcinogenisis. 12: 2041-2045.
- Uzel, C. and Conrad, M.E. (1998). Absorption of heme iron. Semin. Hematol. 35: 27-34.
- Vijayakumari, K., Siddhuraji, P. and Janardhanan, K. 1997. Effect of domestic processing the levels of certain antinutrients in Prosopis chilensis (Molina) Stunz. Seeds. Food Chem. 59(3): 367-371.
- Welch, R.M., House, W.A., Beebe, S. and Cheng, Z. (2000). Genetic selection for enhanced bioavailable levels of iron in bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) seeds. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48: 3576-3580.
- Xu, B. and Chang, S.K.C. (2008). Effect of soaking, boiling, and steaming on total phenolic content and antioxidant activities of cool season food legumes. Food Chem. 110: 1-13.
- Yan, L. and Spitznagel, E. (2009). Soy consumption and prostate cancer risk in men: a revisit of a meta-analysis. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 89: 1155-1163.
- Youseff, M.M., Abdal, M. A., Shekibs, L. A. E. and Ziena, H. M. (1989). Effects of dehulling, soaking and germination of chemical composition, mineral elements and protein patterns of feba beans (Vicia feba L.). Food Chem. 23: 129-136.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.