Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Seed quality behavior of Soybean (Glycine max) as influenced by different packaging materials and storage conditions
First Online 30-03-2017|
A Study was carried out to find out the seed quality behavior of soybean (Glycine max) as influenced by different packaging materials and storage conditions. Soybean seeds were stored in different packaging materials viz., gunny bags, high density polythene bags and vacuum packed bags stored at room temperature (25 ± 2º C) and cold storage (4 ± 1º C) for a period of 18 months. The treatments having six combinations and consisting of different containers viz., gunny bags, high density polythene bags and vacuum packed bags were replicated four times in both cold and ambient storage conditions in completely randomized design. The results of the study revealed that the that the seeds stored in vacuum packed bags maintained the seed quality with least deterioration with respect to all the seed quality parameters compared to seeds stored in gunny bags and high density polythene bags.
- Alsadon, A., Yule, L. J. and Powell, A. A., (1995). Influence of seed aging on the germination, vigor and emergence in module trays of tomato and cucumber seeds. Seed Sci. Technol., 23 : 665-672.
- Abdul-Baki, A. A. and Anderson, J. D., (1973). Vigour determination in soybean by multiple criteria.Crop Sci.,13 : 630-633.
- Anonymous, (1996). International Rules for Seed Testing. Seed Sci. and Technol., 29: 1-335.
- Anonymous, (2011). Area, production and productivity of crops during 2006-07 to 2010-11.Http : //Www. Rkmp. Co. In/ crops-Stats/Statewise-Statistics/ Karnataka.
- Ankaiah, R., Manohar Reddy, N., Radhika, K. and Meena Kumari, K. V. S., (2006). Effect of containers on storability of tomato seed (Lycopersicon esculentum L.) under ambient condition. Proc: XII National Seed Seminar at ANGRAU, Hyderabad during 24-26 Feb., p. 60.
- Asha, A. M., (2012). Effect of plant products and containers on storage potential of maize cv. Arjun. M. Sc. (Agri) Thesis, Univ. Agric. Sci., Dharwad, Karnataka.
- Balasubramanyam, N., Baldevaraj and Indiramma, A. R., (1983). Packaging and storage quality of roasted and salted, spiced peanuts in flexible packages. Perfectpac., 23 : 5-11.
- Balamurugan, P., Balasubramani, V. and Sundaralingam, K., (2011). Nutrient coating and foliar application on seed yield and quality in sesame. ICAR Short Course on Seed Hardening and Pelleting Technologies for Rainfed/Garden Land Ecosystems, May 27 – June 5, Tamil Nadu Agric. Univ., Coimbatore, India, p. 192.
- Bhattacharya, K., and Raha, S., (2002). Deteriorative changes of maize, groundnut and soybean seeds by fungi in storage. Mycopathologia., 155: 135-141.
- Barua, H., Rahman, M. M. and Masud, M. M., (2009). Effect of storage Containers environment at different storage period on the quality of chilli seed. Int. J. Sustain. Crop Prod. 4 : 28-32.
- Baskin, C., Delouche, J.C. and Cabrera, E.R., (1987). The influence of packaging materials, seed moisture content and storage environment on seed storability and performance of soybean. Newsletter Association of Official Seed Analyst, 61 : 15.
- Biradar, B. S., (2001). Influence of pre-harvest insecticidal spray on seed yield and quality and post harvest seed treatment on storability of grenegram (Vigna radiata (l.) wilczek.). M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, Univ. Agril. Sci., Dharwad, Karnataka, India.
- Dadlani, M. and Veena, S., (2006). Effect of packaging on vigour and viability of soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) seed during ambient storage. Seed Res., 31 : 27-32.
- Davidson, J.I., Whitaker, T.B. and Dickens, J.W., (1982). Grading, cleaning, storage, shelling and marketing of peanuts in the United States, pp. 571-623.
- Doijode, S.D., (1996). Effect of packaging and fruit storage on seed viability, vigour and longevity in chilli (Capsicum annum L.). Vegetable Sci., 23: 36-41.
- Delouche, J. C., Mathews, R. K. Dougherty, G. M. and Boyd, A. H., (1973). Storage of seeds in tropical regions. Seed Sci. Technol., 1 : 671-700.
- Jayaraj, T., Vadivelu, K.K. and Dharmalingam, C, (1988). Effect of seed treatments and containers on vegetable seed storage under different agro-climatic conditions. South Indian Horticulture, 36 : 183-187.
- Krishnappa, N., Narayanaswamy, M. S., Balakrishan, P. and Lokesh, K., (2003). Influence of storage mycoflora on seed quality of groundnut (Arachis hypogeae L.) varieties stored in different packing materials. Proc. National Workshop on Groundnut Seed Technol., February, 6-7, pp. 6-19.
- Khalequzzaman, K. M., M. M. Rashid M. A. Hasan and Reza, M. M. A., (2012). Effect of storage containers and storage periods on the seed quality of french Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris). Bangladesh J. Agril. Res. 37: 195-205.
- Monira, U. S., Amin, M. H. A., Marin, M. and Mamun, M. A. A. (2012). Effect of containers on seed quality of storage soybean seed. Bangladesh Res. Publ. J., 7 : 421-427.
- Narayanaswamy, S., (1993). Effect of provenance, pre-sowing treatment and storage on seed yield and quality in groundnut. Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. Agric. Sci., Bangalore.
- Nataraj, K., Balakrishna, P., Ramegowda, Roopa, A.R. and Chandrashekar, U. S., (2011). Influence of storage containers and seed treatment chemicals on quality of new sunflower (Helianthus annus) hybrids during storage. National Seed Congress, at January, 29-31, pp-267-280.
- Radhakrishna, R., (1982). The effect of storage conditions on prolonging the viability of vegetable soybean. In : 21st International Horticultural Congress, Hague, Netherlands.
- Rajendraprasad, S., Ujjnaiah, U.S., Sathyanarayana Reddy, A. and Jagadish, G.V., (1998). Effect of genotypes of groundnut kernels and containers on seed quality during storage. Seed Tech. News, 28 :35
- Ravi Hunje, Vyakarnahal, B. S. and Channappagoudar, B. B., (2007). Influence of containers on storability of chilli seed. Karnataka J. Agric. Sci., 20: 55-58..
- Panse, V. G. and Sukhatme, P. V., (1967). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, pp.167-174.
- Presley, J. T., (1958). Relationship of protoplast permeability of cotton seed viability and predisposition of seedling disease. Pl. Dis. Rep., 42 : 582.
- Selvaraj, J. A. and Ramaswamy, K. R., (1978). Effect of container and storage period on germination and seedling vigour in cotton MCU (Gossypium hirsutum). Cotton Dev., 8 : 3-6
- Shanmugavel, S., Anuradha Varier and Malavika Dadlani, (1995). Physiological attributes associated with seed ageing in soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merrill) cultivars. Seed Res., 23: 61-66
- Tammanagouda, P., (2002). Influence of organics on seed yield, quality and storability studies in greengram cv. Chinamung. M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, Univ. Agric. Sci., Dharwad, Karnataka, India.
- Vanangamudi, K. and Ramasamy, K.R., (1989). Biochemical studies on bajra seed during storage. Madras Agric. J., 76 : 470-477.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.