Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Effect of liming, planting time and tillage on system productivity, resource use efficiency and energy dynamics of rice (Oryza sativa) - lathyrus (Lathyrus sativus) cropping system under rainfed lowland condition of North East India
First Online 29-05-2017|
A field experiment was conducted at Imphal, Manipur during 2010-12 to study the effect of liming, planting time and tillage on system productivity, resource use efficiency and energy dynamics of rice (Oryza sativa L.) - lathyrus (Lathyrus sativus L.) cropping system. The experiment was laid out in split plot design with 3 replications. The treatment consisted of two factors i.e. liming (liming and no liming) and planting time (early and normal) given to rice crop during kharif season in the main plots and two tillage practices (no tillage and conventional tillage) were given in the succeeding lathyrus crop during the rabi season in the sub plots. Results showed that application of lime @ 500 kg CaCO3/ha before planting rice improved system productivity marginally in terms of rice-equivalent yield (REY of 6.32 t/ha) and water use efficiency (WUE) of the system (20.51 kg/ha-mm), however, it failed to increase benefit: cost (B: C) ratio. Advancing planting time of rice 15 days ahead of normal planting enhanced growth and yield of succeeding lathyrus crop resulting in increase of REY, land use efficiency (LUE), production efficiency (PE), and partial factor productivity (PFP) of the system by 19.3, 1.7, 17.0 and 17.0 %, respectively and moreover, it recorded higher system B:C ratio (1.20). No tillage enhanced PFP, NUE, WUE and B: C ratio of the system, while conventional tillage increased energy consumption by 9.45 %.
- Chang, C.S. and Sung, J. M. ( 2004) . Nutrient uptake and yield responses of peanuts and rice to lime and fused magnesium phosphate in an acid soil. Field Crops Research. 89 (2-3): 319-325.
- Chopra, N.K. and Chopra, N. (2004). Influence of transplanting dates on heat-unit requirement of different phonological stages and subsequently yield and quality of scented rice (Oryza sativa) seed. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 74 (8): 415-419.
- Datta, M and Gupta, R.K. (1984). Studies on P, Ca, Zn, Fe contents in soil and plant tissue as influenced by pressmud and lime. Journal of Indian Society of Soil Science. 32 :450-458
- Dhiman, S.D. and Sharma, A.P. (1986). Zero tillage in wheat crop under heavy soils. Agricultural Mechanization in Asia, Africa and Latin America. 17 (2): 15-16.
- Gangwar, K.S., Singh, K.K., Sharma, S.K., Tomar, O.K. (2006). Alternative tillage and crop residue management in wheat after rice in sandy loam soils of Indo-Gangatic plains. Soil Tillage Research. 88 (1–2): 242–252.
- Gill, M.S.; Kumar A. and Kumar, P. (2006). Growth and yield of rice (Oryza sativa) cultivars under various methods and times of sowing. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 51 (2): 123-127.
- Jha, A.K., Kewat, M. L., Upadhyay, V.B. and Vishwakarma. S.K. (2011). Effect of tillage and sowing methods on productivity, economics and energetic of rice (Oryza sativa)- wheat (Triticum aestivum) cropping system. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 56 (1): 35-50.
- Kar, G., Singh, R., Verma, H.N. (2004). Productive and profitable management of rainfed lowland rice through intensive cropping and efficient water use. WTCER, Bhubaneswar. Research Bulletin. 17: 56.
- Mahata, K.R., Sen, H.S., Pradhan, S.K. (1992). Tillage effects on growth and yield of blackgram and cowpea after wet season rice on an alluvial sandy clay loam in eastern India. Field Crops Research. 11: 55–68.
- Mandal, S.C.; Sinha, H.; Prasad, C.R. and Ali, M.A. (1966). Studies on liming of acidic red loam soils. Journal of Indian Society of Soil Science. 14:127-131
- Mukherjee, D. (2008). Effect of tillage practices and fertility levels on the performance of wheat (Triticum aestivum) under mid hill condition of West Bengal. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 78 (12): 1038-1041.
- Pratibha, G., Pillai, K.G., Satyanarayan, V., Hussain, M.M. (1996). Tillage systems for production of black gram (Vigna mungo) succeeding rice crops. Legume Research. 19 (1): 23–28.
- Rahmiaanna, A.A., Adisarwanto, T., Kirchho, G., So, H.B. (2000). Crop establishment of legumes in rainfed lowland rice based cropping systems. Soil Tillage Research. 56 (1–2): 67–82.
- Raychaudhuri, M. and Kumar, K. (2002). Direct and residual effects of lime on soil characteristics, yield and nutrient uptake of maize (Zea mays) and soybean (Glycine max) in an acid hill soil of Manipur. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences.72 (2): 67-69.
- Raychaudhuri, M.; Kumar, K. and Raychaudhuri, S. (1998). Response of soybean to lime and phosphorus on an Ultisol of Manipur. Journal of Indian Society of Soil Science. 46: 628-632.
- Singh, H; Elamathi, S. and Anandhi, P. (2009). Effect of row spacing and dates of sowing on growth and yield of lentil (Lens culinaris) under North Eastern Region of U.P. Legume Research. 32 (4): 307-308.
- Sumarno, Oka, I.M., Sunarlin, N., Makarim, A.K., Sharma, D., Syam, M., Manwan, I. (1988). National Coordinated Grains Legumes Research Program. Central Research Institute for Food Crops, Bogor, Indonesia, 64 pp.
- Suresh, S. and Savithri, P. (2000). Effect of liming and nutrients on the metabolically active iron, enzyme activity and yield of rice. Oryza. 37 (3): 236-238.
- Syarifuddin, A.K. (1979). Establishment and performance of rainfed maize (Zea mays L.) ad soybean (Glycine max (L) Merill) in the dry season after puddled rice. Ph.D thesis, UPLB Philippines, 354 pp.
- Yadav, D.S.; Shukla, R.P.; Sushant and Kumar, B. (2005). Effect of zero tillage and nitrogen level on wheat (Triticum aestivum) after rice (Oryza sativa). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 50 (1): 52-53.
- Yadav, G.S., Datta, M., Babu, Subhash, Debnath, C., Sarkar, P.K. (2013). Growth and productivity of low land rice as influenced by substitution of nitrogen fertilizer through organic sources. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 83(10):1038–1042.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.