Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Genetic study and selection indices for grain yield of mungbean
First Online 30-03-2017|
Mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) genotypes along with two parents were studied to assess the magnitude of genotypic variability, heritability and selection indices among the yield components and their direct and indirect effects on grain yield. On the basis of genetic variability, all the traits exhibited high heritability estimates coupled with high genetic advance as percent of mean (h2³ 60%, GAM³20 %) except 100 grain weight (h2 = 0.51, GAM= 8.0 %), indicating the preponderance of additive gene action. Biological yield/plant and harvest index had the most positive direct effects (1.448, 1.144, respectively) on grain yield/plant, indicating these traits synergistically affect photosyntates. Based on Smith-Hazel indices the highest genetic advance (17.56%) in grain yield/plant obtained on linear combination of traits such as days to 50% flowering, days to maturity, plant height, pod length, grains/pod and biological yield/plant (X2X3X4X7X8X10) accomplished through a completely new selection-index in which economic weight of each traits were equally distributed, suggesting that these parameters may be considered as prime traits during the course of selection to realize higher yield potential in green gram.
- Al-Jibouri, H.A., Miller, R.A. and Robinson, H.F. (1958). Genotypic and environmental variance and covariance in upland cotton crosses of interspecific origin. Agron. J. 50: 633-637.
- Anonymous. (2014-15). Second Advance Estimates of Production of Food grains. Department of Agriculture and Cooperation - www.agricoop.nic.in
- Begum, S., Noor, M., Rahman, H.U., Hassan, G., Durrishahwar, H. Ullah, Alia and Ali, F. (2013). Heritability estimates and correlations among flowering and yield related traits in mungbean genotypes. British Journal of Applied Science & Technology, 3: 472-481.
- Biswas, K.K. and Bhadra, S.K. (1997). Variation in pod characters of mungbean [Vigna radiate (L.) Wilczek]. Bangladesh J.Bot. 26: 67-70
- Burton, G.W. and De Vane, E.H. (1953). Estimating heritability in tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea) from replicated clonal material. Agron. J. 45: 478-481.
- Burton, G.W. (1952). Quantitative inheritance of grasses. Proc 6th Int. Grassland Congress crested wheat seed production. Agronomy J. 51: 515-518.
- Dasgupta, T. and Das, P.K. (1984). Multivariate analysis and selection of parents for hybridization in blackgram. Philippine Agriculturist 57: 86-92.
- Dewey, D.R. and Lu, K.H. (1959). A correlation and path coefficient analysis of yield components of the crested wheat grass seed production. Agron. J. 51: 1207-1211.
- Dhananjay, Ramakant, Singh, B.N. and Singh, G. (2009). Studies on genetic variability, correlations and path coefficients analysis in mungbean. Crop. Res. Hisar. 38: 176-178.
- Gadakh, S.S., Dethe, A.M. and Kathale, M.N. (2013). Genetic variability,correlations and path analysis studies on yield and its components in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] Bioinfolet, 10: 441-447.
- Gul, R., Khan, H., Mairaj, G., Ali, S. and Farhatullah, I. (2008). Correlation study on morphological and yield parameters of mungbean (Vigna radiata). Sarhad J. Agric. 24: 37-42.
- Hozayn, M., El-Habbasha, S.F., Abd El-Lateef, E.M. and Abd El- Monem, A.A. (2013). Genetic variability in 16 exotic mungbean genotypes for late sowing under Egyptian conditions. J. Appl. Sci. Res. 9: 643-651.
- Idress, A., Sadiq, M.S., Hanif, M., Abbas, G. and Haider, S. (2006). Genetic parameters and path co-efficient analysis in mutated generation of mungbean, [Vigna radiata L. Wilczek]. J. Agric. Res., 44: 181-189.
- Johnson, H.W., Robinson, H.F. and Comstock, R.E. (1955). Genotypic and phenotypic correlation in soybean and their implication in selection. Agronomy J. 47: 477-483.
- Kamleshwar, K, Yogendraprasad, Mishra, S.B., Pandey, S.S. and Kumar, Ravi. (2013). Study on genetic variability, correlation and path analysis with grain yield and yield attributing traits in green gram [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. The Bioscan 8: 1551-1555.
- Kodanda, R.R. D., Venkateswarlu, O., Obaiah, M.C. and Sivajyothi, G.L. (2011). Studies on genetic variability, character association and path coefficient analysis in greengram [Vigna radiata.(L.) Wilczek]. Leg Res. 34: 202-206.
- Khanpara, M.D., Vchhani, J.H., Jivani, L.L., Jethava, A.S. and Vaghasia, P.M. (2012). Correlation and path coefficient analysis in greengram [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Asian. J. Bio. Sci. 7: 34-38.
- Kumar, N.V., Lavanya, G.R., Singh, S. K. and Pandey, P. (2010). Genetic association and path coefficient analysis in mungbean Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek, Advances in Agriculture and Botanics , 2: 251-257.
- Kumar, K., Prasad, Y., Mishra, S.B., Pandey, S.S. and Ravi, K. (2013). Study on genetic variability, correlation and path Analysis with grain yield and yield attributing traits in green gram [Vigna radiata (L) Wilczek]. The Bioscan. 8: 1551-55.
- Kumar, R., Ravi, K. and Ojha, C.B. (2004). Character association analysis in mungbean. Legume Research, 27: 32-36.
- Mittal, V.P., Singh, P. and Brar, K.S. (2007). Component characters influencing seed yield in moongbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczec], Internat. J. Agric. Sci. 3: 80-81.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1967). Statistical Methods of Agricultural Workers, 2nd Edition, p. 381, I.C.A.R Publishing, New Delhi.
- Parameswarappa, S.G. (2005). Genetic variability, combining ability and path coefficient analysis in greengram. Karnataka J. Agric. Sci. 18: 1090-92.
- Rahim, M. A., Mia, A.A., Mahmud, F., Zeba, N. and Afrin, K.S. (2010). Genetic variability, character association and genetic divergence in Mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Plant Omics Journal. 3:1-6.
- Rao, C.H., Rao, M., Koteswara, Y. and Reddy, M. (2006). Genetic variability and path analysis in mungbean. Leg Res. 29: 216-218.
- Reddy, G.E., Suresh, B.G., Sravan, T. and Eeddy, P.A. (2013). Interrelationship and cause-effect analysis of rice genotypes in north east plain zone. The Bioscan. 8: 1141-1144.
- Reddy, D.K.R., O. Venkateswarlu, M.C. Obaiah and G.L. Jyothi. S. (2011). Studies on genetic variability, character association and pathcoefficient analysis in green gram [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Leg Res. 34: 202-206.
- Singh, R.K. and Chaudhary, B.D. (2005). Biometrical Methods in Quantitative Genetic Analysis. Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi.
- Smith, H.F. (1936). A discriminant function for plant selection. Ann. Eugen. 7:240–250.
- Shrivastava, R. L. and Singh, G. (2012). Genetic Variability, Correlation and Path Analysis in Mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] Indian J. L. Sci. 2: 61-65.
- Steel, R.G.D. and Torrie, J.H. (1982). Principles and Procedures of Statistics: A Biometrical Approach, 2nd edition. Mc Graw-Hill., Tokyo.
- Tabasum, A., Saleem, M. and Aziz, I. (2010). Genetic variability, trait association and path analysis of yield and yield components in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek). Pak. J. Bot. 42: 3915-3924.
- Tejbir, S., Amitesh, S. and Fayaz, A.A. (2009). Morpho physiological traits as selection criteria for yield improvement in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) wilczek]. Legume Res. 32: 36-40.
- Thippani, S., Eswari, K.B. and Rao, M.V.B. (2013). Character association between seed yield and its components in Green gram (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek). Int. J. App. Bio. And Pharma. Tech. pp. 295-297.
- Verma, P. and Garg, D.K. (2007). Correlation and path coefficient studies in Mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. J. Arid Legume. 4: 88-91.
- Zaid, I.U., Khalil, I.H. and Khan, S. (2012). Genetic Variability and Correlation Analysis for Yield Components in Mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilezek], ARPN J. of Agril. and Bio. Sci. 7: 885-891.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.