Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Genetic variability determination in garden pea (Pisum sativum L sub sp. hortense Asch. and Graebn.) by using the multivariate analysis
First Online 03-03-2017|
A total of 32 genotypes collected from different geographical areas evaluated at one site to determine the genetic variability. Considerable diversity was found in different traits of horticultural importance. Principal component analysis showed more than 84 % of total multivariate variation for important traits in different genotypes. Pod yield, pod length,10 pods weight and pods per plant were found to be major traits contributing towards principal component-I. Similarly, seeds per pod, secondary branches/plant, pod length were main positive contributing traits towards second component. Ten pod weight, pod width were positively contributing component towards principal component third. Pods per plant and shelling percentage were main traits contributing to principal component-IV, where as plant height, pod length and pod width were major positively contributing traits towards principal component -V. PS-1100, Meethi Phali, PB-87 and FC-1 were most divergent genotypes. On the basis of cluster mean of single linkage cluster analysis, Custer-I was best for number of primary branches and shelling percentage, Cluster -II for plant height,10 pods weight and pod yield per plant, cluster-III for number of pods /plants and cluster IV for pod length. Selection of genotypes from divergent clusters and components having more than one positive traits for hybridization programme may lead to improvement in yield and quality of pea.
- Ali, Z.. Qureshi, A. S., Ali, W., Gulzar, H., Nissar, M. and Gaffor, A.(2007). Evaluation of genetic diversity present in pea germplasm based on morphological traits, resistant to powdery mildew and molecular characteristics . Pakistan J. of Bot. 39: 2739-2747
- Amurrio, C. O., Adebao, M. A., Aria. O. J., Adewale, B.B. (2007). Classification of genetic diversity and choice of parent for hybridization in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L). Walp for humid savana ecology. Afri, J. of Biotech. 6: 2333-2339.
- Ario, O. J. and Odulaza, A. (1991). Numerical analysis of variation among accessions of okra. (A. esculentus L. Moench). Malvaceae. Ann. Bot. 67:527-531
- Azmat, M. A., Nausherwan, N. N., Asif, A. K., Ashraf. M., Shahid, N. and Khalid, M. (2011). Characterization of pea germ plasm. Int. J. of Veg. Sci. 17:246-258.
- Bhargava, A., Shukla, S., Ranjan, S., and Ohri, D.(2007).Genetic diversity for morphological and quality traits in Quince (Chenopodium quinoa) germplasm. Genet. Reso. Crop Eval. 54:167-73.
- Blixt, S. (1974). The pea p. 181-221. In: Hand book of genetics, [R.C. King (ed.)]. vol. 2, Plenum Press, New York.
- Fedorovo, M. I., Lagnator, A.N., Balashova, N.N. and Bari Nova, T. V. (1999). Estimation of breeding value of radish population by statistical methods. Biologiya. 3:110-116.
- Hussain, K., Singh, D. K., Ahmed, N. and Nazir, G. (2006). Multivariate analysis in carrot (Daucus carrota L.). Environ. and Ecol. 24:37-41
- Julier, B., Porcheron, A.,Ecalle, C., and Guy, P.(1995). Genetic variability for morphology growth and forage yield among the perennial deployed and tetraploid lucerne population (Medicago sativa L). Agronomic 15:295-04
- Kumar, A., and Jain, B. P. (2003). Genetic variability in pea (Pisum sativum. L) J. of Birasa Agri. Uni. 15: 55-59.
- Lewis, J.L., Thrope, J,P., and G.P. Wallis (1982) . Genetic divergence in four species of genus Raphanus: Implication for the ancestry of domestic radish (R sativus L). Biol. J. the Linn. Soci. 18: 35-48.
- Mahalanobis, P. C. (1936). On the generalized distance in statistics. Proc. National Acad.Sci., 2:49-55
- Nissar,M., Gafoor, A, Khan M (2011). Phenotypic variation in agronomic and morphological traits of Pisum savium L germ plasm obtained from different part of world. Rus. J. of Genet. 47:19-25.
- Nwangburuka, C.C., Kehinde, O.B., OJO., D.K., Dentan, O.A. and Popoola, A.R. (2011). Morphological classification of genetic diversity in cultivated Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L) Moench using principal component analysis (PCA) and single linkage cluster analysis (SLCA). Afric. J. of Biot. 10: 11165-11172.
- Oryilagha, I. C. (1980) Multivariate variation within white yam. Euphytica. 36:413-418.
- Ramesh, C. and Tewatia, A. S. (2002) . Character association and path analysis studies in garden pea (Pisum sativum. L). Hary. J. of Horti. Scie. 31:94-97
- Ramesh, K., Sangita K. and Shukla, Y. R. (2010)Variability correlation and path analysis studies in lettuce . Int. J. of Veg. Sci. 16:299-395
- Rao, C. R. (1952). Advance Statistical Methods in Biometric Research. John Wiley and Sons Inc. New Yark. Pp 357-69
- Rhodes, A.M. and Martins,F.W.(1972). Multivariate studies of variation in yam .J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. 97:685-688.
- Saeed, M., Sartaj. B., Muhammad. A., Ram. D. and Ghafoor, A. (2009).Genetic diversity for determining the yield potential and selection criterion in Pisum sativum L. genetic resources. Pak. J. Bot. 41: 2987-2993.
- Sangita, K., and Ramesh K., (2010). Genetic divergence studied in newly introduced genotype of lettuce (Lectuca sativa L.). Afri. J.of Basic and Appl. Sci. 2: 18-24.
- Santalla, M., J.M., Amurrio and A.M., De Ron (2001). Food and feed potential breeding of green, dry and vegetable pea germplasm. Can. J. Plant. Sci. 81: 601-610.
- Singh, G., Singh, M,, Singh, V. and Singh, B, (2003). Genetic variability heritability and genetic advance in pea. Prog. Agri. 3: 70-73.
- Singh, R.K. and Choudhry, B. D. (1985). Biometrical Methods in Quantitative Genetic Analysis. Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi, p. 318.
- Singh, S.R., Lal, S., Ahmed, N., Srivastava K. K., Kumar. D., Jan, N., Amin, A. and Malik, A.R. (2013). Determination of genetic diversity in strawberry using the principal component analysis and single linkage cluster analysis. Afri. J. Biot. 7: 273-78.
- Sneath. P.H.A. and Sokal. R.R. (1973). Numerical taxonomy. The Principal and prospect of numerical classification .W.H. Freeman and Company San afncisco. pp.173
- Taran, B. C., Zhang. T., Warketin, A. and Vanden B. (2005). Genetic diversity among varieties and wild species accessions of pea (Pisum sativum L) based on cluster markers and morphological and physiological charecters. Geno. 48:358-63
- Veasey, E. A., Schammass, E. A., Vencovsky, R., Martins, P. S. and Bandel G. (2001) Germplasm characterizations of sesbania accession based on multivariate analysis. Genet. Resou. Crop Eval. 48:79-90.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.