Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Multivariate analysis in some genotypes of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] on the basis of agronomic traits of two consecutive growing cycles
First Online 20-08-2016|
An experiment to evaluate eleven agro morphological traits in twenty three genotypes of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] in the field experiment was conducted in two consecutive years 2013 and 2014. Data were recorded on quantitative as well as visually assayed agro morphological traits including days to 50 per cent flowering, days to 1st picking of pods, days to final picking, plant height (cm), number of secondary branches per plant, number of pods per plant, pod length (cm), number of seeds per pod, 100 seed weight (g), seed yield/plant (g) and harvest index (%). All the traits were analysed using multivariate statistical analysis. Most of the important evaluated traits showed a wide range of variation. Cluster analysis using UPGMA method grouped the genotypes into five clusters. The component of mungbean genotypes among different clusters was varied from two to nine genotypes. The maximum number of genotypes i.e., 9 is found in cluster III followed by cluster IV comprising of 6 genotypes. Cluster V showed the maximum mean value for plant height, branch/plant, pods/plant, seed/pod, seed yield/plant and lowest values for days to 50% maturity, 1st picking and days to maturity. Principal component analysis revealed that the first five main PCAs amounted 71.11% of the total variation among genotypes. PC1 accounts for maximum variability in the data with respect to succeeding components.
- Ajmal, S.U., Minhas, N.M., Hamdani, A., Shakir, A., Zubair, M., Ahmad, Z. (2013). Multivariate analysis of genetic divergence in wheat (Triticum aestivum) germplasm. Pakistan Journal of Botany 45:1643-1648.
- Anderson, T.W. (1972). An introduction to multivariate statistical analysis. Wiley eastern private limited. New Delhi, India. 512.
- AVRDC, (2008). AVRDC Vegetable Genetic Resources Information System.
- Basnet, K.M.,Adhikari, N.R.,Pandey, M.P.,(2014). Multivariate analysis among the Nepalese and exotic mungbean (Vigna radiata. L Wilczek) genotypes based on the qualitative parameters. Universal journal of Agricultural Research 2:147-155.
- Fufa, H., Baenziger, P.S., Beecher, B.S., Dweikat, I., Graybosch, R.A., Eskridge, K.M. (2005). Comparison of phenotypic and molecular marker-based classifications of hard red winter wheat cultivars. Euphytica 145:133-146.
- Joshi, K.D., Khanal, N., Khanal, N.P., Sherpa, L. T. and Giri, R. K. (2003). Promotion of mungbean in rice-wheat system of low hill and Nepal terai. Report of monitoring mungbean in rice-fallow Rabi cropping project area, April-May, 2003.105-130.
- Lavanya GR, Srivastava J, Ranade SA , (2008). Molecular assessment of genetic diversity in mung bean germplasm. J. Genetics, 87: 65- 74.
- Lee YS, Lee JY, Kim DK, Yoon CY, Bak GC, Park IJ, Bang GP, Moon JK, Oh YJ, KMin K.S., (2004). A new high-yielding mungbean cultivar, “Samgang” with lobed leaflet. Korean J. Breed., 36: 183-184.
- Md. Rahim, A., Mia, A.A., Mahmud. F., Afrin, K. S., (2008). Multivariate analysis in some mungbean (Vigna radiata L. wilczek) accession on the basis of agronomic traits. American Eurasian journal of Scientific Research 3: 217-221.
- Mohammadi, S.A., Prasanna, B.M., (2003). Analysis of genetic diversity in crop plants-salient statistical tools and considerations. Crop Science 43:1235-1248.
- Park, H.G., (1978). Suggested Cultural Practices for Mungbean. Asian Vegetable Research and Development Center, Tainan, Taiwan.
- Piyada, T., Juthamas, T., Thongchai, P., Thanawit, T., Chutamas, P., Worapa, S., Thitiporn, M., (2010). Variety identification and genetic relationships of mungbean and blackgram in Thailand based on morphological characters and ISSR analysis. Afr. J. Biotechnol., 9: 4452-4464.
- Rao, C.R., (1964). The use and interception of principal analysis in applied research. Sankhya 22: 317-318.
- Sneath, P.H.A., Sokal, R.R., (1973). Numerical Taxonomy. Freeman, San Francisco.
- Yimram, T., Somta, P. and Srinives, P., (2009). Genetic variation in cultivated mungbean germplasm and its implication in breeding for high yield. Field crops research 112:260-266. [Online]. Available on: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ fcr (Retrieved on June 2, 2009)
- Zaman, S.M., Luna, L.N.,Hossain, M.A., (2013). Genetic divergence in mungbean. Bull. Inst. Trop. Agr., Kyushu Univ. 36:79-84.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.