Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Improving vigour and viability of blackgram cv.co 6 [Vigna mungo (L) Hepper] through seed priming with inorganics
First Online 06-09-2016|
Studies were undertaken at the Department of Seed Science and Technology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore using different seed lots of blackgram cv. CO 6 with a view to elicit information on seed invigouration for maintenance of seed quality during storage period. Seeds soaking followed by drying for different durations ranging from 1h, 2h and 3h with different inorganic chemicals viz., Vitamin E (a- tocopherol), Para Amino Benzoic Acid (PABA) and Salicylic Acid at concentrations of 2.5 mM, 5.0 mM and 7.5 mM in 1:1 seed to solution ratio was attempted. The results shows that soaking of varying seed lots of freshly harvested, aged treated and treated aged seeds of blackgram (3 days of accelerated ageing) in low concentrations viz., 2.5 mM, 5.0 mM of salicylic acid followed by drying was effective in controlling seed deterioration and improving seed vigour and viability in all the seed lots.
- Afzal, I., Basra, S. M. A., Ahmad, N. and Farooq, M. (2005). Optimization of hormonal priming techniques for alleviation of salinity stress in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Caderno de Pesquisa Ser. Bio., Santa Cruz do Sul., 17: 95-109.
- Athar, H. R., Khan, A. and Ashraf, M. (2008). Exogenously applied ascorbic acid alleviates salt-induced oxidative stress in wheat. Environ. Exp. Bot., 63: 224-231.
- Bailly, C. (2004). Active oxygen species and antioxidants in seed biology. Seed Sci. & Technol., 14: 93-107.
- Basu, R. N. (1976). Physio-chemical control of seed deterioration. Seed Res., 4: 15-23.
- Basu, R. N. (1990). Seed invigouration for extended storability. In: Intl. Conf. on Seed Sci. & Technol., 22.02.1990, New Delhi, India.
- Dolatabadian, A., Sanavy, S.A.M.M. and Chashmi, N.A. (2008). The effects of foliar application of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) on antioxidant enzymes activities, lipid peroxidation and proline accumulation of canola (Brassica napus L.) under conditions of salt stress. J. Agron. Crop Sci., 194: 206-213.
- Farooq, M., Aziz, T., Basra, S.M.A., Cheema, M.A. and Rehman, H. (2008). Chilling tolerance in hybrid maize induced by seed priming with salicylic acid. J. Agron. Crop Sci., 194: 161-168.
- Farooq, M., Aziz, T., Wahid, A., Lee, D.J. and Siddique, K.H.M. (2009). Chilling tolerance in maize: agronomic and physiological applications. Crop Pasture Sci., 60: 501-516.
- Gautam, S and Singh, P. K. (2009). Salicylic acid-induced salinity tolerance in corn under NaCl stress. Acta. Physiol. Planta. 31: 1185-1190.
- Gu, J. T., Kong, X. H. and Chen, H. (1993). Hydration-dehydration treatment for pre and post-ageing Lycopersicon esculentum Mill. - Seed Physiological and biochemical changes. Acta Phytophysiologica Sinica, 19: 131-136.
- Hussein, M. M., Balbaa, L. K. and Gaballah, M. S. (2007). Salicylic acid and salinity effects on growth of maize plants. Res. J. Agric. Biol. Sci., 3: 321-328.
- Jeng, T. L. and Sung, J. M. (1994). Hydration effect on lipid peroxidation and peroxide-scavenging enzymes activity of artificially aged peanut seed. Seed Sci. & Technol., 22: 531-539.
- Kang, G. Z., Wang, Z.X., Xia, K.F. and Sun, G.C. (2007). Protection of ultra structure in chilling stressed banana leaves by salicylic acid. J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci., 8: 277-282.
- Kapri, B., Sengupta, A. K., De, B. K., Mandal, A. K. and Basu, R. N. (2003). Pre-storage seed invigoration treatments for improved germinability and field performance of okra (Hibiscus esculentus). Indian J. Agric. Sci., 73: 276-279.
- Khan, M.M., Iqbal, M.J., Abbas, M. and Usman, M. (2003). Effect of accelerated ageing on viability, vigor and chromosomal damage in pea (Pisum sativum L.) seeds. Pakistan J. Agri. Sci., 40: 50-54.
- Mandal, A. K., De, B. K., Saha, R. and Basu, R. N. (2000). Seed invigoration treatments for improved storability, field emergence and productivity of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill]. Seed Sci. &Technol., 28: 349-355.
- Mehra, V., Tripathi, J., Powell, A.A. (2003). Aerated hydration treatment improves the response of Brassica juncea and Barassica campestris seeds to stress during germination. Seed Sci. Technol., 31: 57-70.
- Neill, S.J., Desikan, R., Clarke, A., Hurst, R. D. and Hancock, J. T. (2002). Hydrogen peroxide and nitric oxide as signalling molecules in plants. J. Exp. Bot. 53: 1237-1247.
- Nobata, Y., Urakaze, M., Temaru, R., Sato, A., Nakamura, N., Yamazaki, K., Kishida, M., Takata, M. and Kobayashi, M. (2002). Alpha-tocopherol inhibits IL-8 synthesis induced by thrombin and high glucose in endothelial cells. Horm. Metab. Res. 34: 49-54.
- Palanisamy, V. and Punithavathi, N. (1998). Effect of seed hardening and pelleting on seed quality in ragi. Madras Agric. J. 85: 583-585.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1985). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. ICAR Publication, New Delhi, pp. 359.
- Piri, M., Mahdieh, M.B., Olfati, J.A. and Peyvast, G. (2009). Germination and seedling development of cucumber are enhanced by priming at low temperature. Int. J. Veg. Sci., 15: 285-292.
- Rudrapal, A. B. and Nakamura, S. (1988). Use of halogens in controlling eggplant and radish seed deterioration. Seed Sci. & Technol., 16: 115-122.
- Saha, R., Mandal, A. K. and Basu, R.N. (1990). Physiology of seed invigoration treatments in soybean (Glycine max L.). Seed Sci. & Technol., 28: 201-207.
- Sakhabutdinova, A.R., Fatkhutdinova, D.R., Bezrukova, M.V. and Shakirova, F.M. (2003). Salicylic acid prevents damaging action of stress factors on wheat plants. Bulg J. Plant. Physiol., Special Issue: 314-319.
- Sattler, S. E., Gilliland, L. U., Lundback, M. M., Pollard, M. and Della Penna, D. (2004). Vitamin E is essential for seed longevity and for preventing lipid peroxidation during germination. The Plant Cell, 16: 54-57.
- Sedghi, M., Nemati, A. and Esmaielpour, B. (2010). Effect of seed priming on germination and seedling growth of two medicinal plants under salinity. Emir. J. Food. Agric., 22:130-139.
- Temple, N. J. (2000). Antioxdants and disease. More questions than answers. Nutrition Res., 20: 449-459.
- Thornton, J. M. and Powell, A. A. (1995). Prolonged aerated hydration for the improvement of seed quality in Brassica oleracea. Ann. Appl. Biol., 127: 183-189.
- Wahid, A., Perveen, M., Gelani, S. and Basra, S.M.A. (2007). Pretreatment of seed with H2O2 improves salt tolerance of wheat seedlings by alleviation of oxidative damage and expression of stress proteins. J. of Plant Physiol., 164: 283-294.
- Wang, X and Quinn, P.J. (2000). The location and function of vitamin E in membranes (review). Mol. Membr. Biol. 17:143-156.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.