Influence of seed hardening treatments on growth, gas exchange and yield parameters in black gram under drought condition
Citation :- Influence of seed hardening treatments on growth, gas exchange and yield parameters in black gram under drought condition .Legume Research.2016.(39):248-255
The present investigations were carried out to study the influence of various seed hardening treatments on growth and yield parameters in black gram under drought condition. The black gram cv.VBN 3 was imposed with various seed hardening treatments (i.e.,) MnSO4 @ 100 ppm, ZnSO4 @ 100 ppm, Cobalt nitrate @ 1 %, Sodium molybdate @ 100 ppm, KCl @ 100 ppm, Pungam leaf extract @ 1 %, Prosopis leaf extract @ 1% and GA3 @ 40 ppm. The above treated seeds along with control were evaluated for their seed quality parameters, growth, gas exchange and yield parameters under laboratory and drought field condition. The study revealed that seeds hardened with prosopis leaf extract @1% recorded higher seed yield, yield attributing characters and many seed quality characters as compared to other treatments and control under drought condition.
- Anbarasan, R. (2011). Studies on effect of flyash seed pelleting on seed yield and quality in rice (Oryza sativa. L) and cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.). M.Sc.(Ag) Thesis, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, India.
- Austin, R.B., P.C. Longden, T.W. Hegarty, T.H. Thomas and R.B. Mande. (1973). Presowing seed treatments. In: “Seed Biology” (Ed.W. Heydecker, Butterworths, London). pp. 521-531.
- Basra, S.M.A., M. Farooq, Afzal, I. and Hussain, M. (2006). Influence of osmopriming on the germination and early seedling growth of coarse and fine rice. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 8: 19–22.
- Christansen, M.N. and Foy, C.D. (1979). Fate and function of calcium in tissue. Common. Soil Sci. Plant Anal., 10: 427 – 442
- Copeland, L. O. (1995). Principles of Seed Science and Technology, Mc Millan Publishing Company, New York.
- Dawson, M.J. (1965). Effect of seed soaking on the growth and development of finger millet. Indian J. PI. Physiol., 8: 52-56
- Deotale, R.D., Maske, V.G., Sorte, N.V., Chimurkar, B.S. and Yerne, A.Z. (1998). Effect of GA3 and NAA on morphophysiological parameters of soybean. Journal of Soils and Crops, 8: 91-94.
- De Lespinay, A., H. Lequeux, B, Lambillottee and S. Lutts, (2010). Protein synthesis is differentially required for germination in Poa pratensis and Trifolium repens in the absence or in the presence of cadmium. Plant Growth Regul., 61: 205-214.
- FAO. 2011. Looking ahead in world food and agriculture. Perspectives to 2050, by P. Conforti. Rome. www.fao.org/ docrep/014/i2280e/i2280e00.htm.
- Fariduddin, Q., Ahmad, A. and Hayat, S. (2003). Photosynthetic response of Vigna radiata to pre- sowing seed treatment with 28-homobrassinolide. Photosynthetica, 41: 307-310.
- Farooq, M.,, Basra, S.M.A., Tabassum, R.and Afzal, I. (2006a). Enhancing the performance of direct seeded fine rice by seed priming. Plant Prod. Sci. 9: 446-456.
- Farooq, M. and Basra, S.M.A. and Hafeez, K. (2006b). Seed invigoration by osmohardening in indica and japonica rice. Seed Sci. Technol., 34: 181–187.\
- Farooq, M., M.A. Basra, Hefeez-Ue-Rejman amd Tariq Mehmood, (2006c). Germination and early seedling growth as affected by pre-sowing ethanol seed treatment in fine rice, Int. J. Agri. Biol., 8:19-21
- Farooq, M., Basra, S.M.A., Hafeez, K. and Ahmad, N. (2005). Thermal hardening: A new seed vigor enhancement tool in rice. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology, 47: 187–193.
- Frommhold I., Aly M.K. and Schuster G. (1987). Growth regulatory effects of 2,4-dioxohexahydro-1, 3,5-triazine and N- phenyl-N-m hydroxyphenyl-thiourea on Nicotiana tabacum L. cv. Samsun. In: Lilov, D., Vasilev, G., Christov, C. and Andonova, T.M. (eds), Proceedings of the IV International Symposium on Plant Growth Regulators. Popov Institute of Plant Physiology, Sofia, Bulgaria, pp. 427–430.
- Garg B. K., U. Burman and S. Kathju. (2006). Influence of thiourea on photosynthesis, nitrogen metabolism and yield of clusterbean (Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub.) under rainfed conditions of Indian arid zone. Plant Growth Regul., 48: 237-245.
- Henckel, P.A. (1964). Physiology of plants under drought. Ann. Rev. Pl. Physiol., 15: 363-386.
- ISTA, (1999). International rules for seed testing. Seed Sci., & Technol., Supplement Rules: 27-57.
- Jayaseelan, K. (1997). Studies on the effect of sequencing of seed treatments on the seed yield and quality in redgram cv. CO 5 (Cajanus cajan (L.) Mill. Sp.) and green gram cv. CO 5 (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilcezek.). M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agriculture University, Coimbatore.
- Jegathambal, R. (1996). Pre-sowing seed treatment to augment productivity to sorghum cv. CO 26 under rainfed agriculture. Ph.D. Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Kalpana kumar and Dubey, P.S. (2003). Effect of fly ash on growth and nutritional status of spinach. Paper published in 3rd International Conference of Fly Ash Utilisation and Disposal, 19-21 February, 2003,CBIP, New Delhi.
- Kamaraj. A. and S. Padmavathi. (2012). Effect of seed enhancement treatment using leaf extract on physiological and morphological charecteristics of greengram (Vigna radiata L.) seed ADT 3. Int. J. Current Research. 4:110-114.
- Karivaratharaju, T.V. and V. Ramakrishnan. (1985). Seed hardening studies in two varieties of ragi (Eueusine coracana). Indian J. Pl. Physiology. 28: 243-248.
- Khan Bahadar Marwat amd Muhammad Azim Khan. (2006). Allelopathic properties of tree leaf extracts on seed germination and growth of wheat and wild oats. Pak. J.Weed Sci. Res., 12: 265 – 269.
- Lu, S., Ming, D. and Jiang, T. (1983). A preliminary report on the effect of CaCO3 pelleted seeds of Chinese milk vetch on its Yield. Shanghai Agric. Sci. and Technol., 6: 170-173.
- Ma, Q., Wang, W., Li, Y., Li, D. and Zou, Q. (2006). Alleviation of photoinhibition in drought-stressed wheat (Triticum aestivum) by foliar-applied glycinebetaine. Journal of Plant Physiology, 163: 165-175.
- Maheshwari, R. (1996). Seed production technology in soyabean under rice fallow and methods to control seed Deterioration in soyabean cv. CO 1 (Glycine max L. Merril). M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agriculture University, Coimbatore.
- Makela, P., Jokinen, K., Kontturi, M., Peltonen-Sainio, P., Pehu, E. and Somersalo, S. (1998). Foliar application of glycinebetaine-a novel product from sugar beet as an approach to increase tomato yield. Industrial Crops Production. 7: 139-148.
- Makela, P., Kontturib, M., Pehua, E. and Somersaloa, S. (1999). Photosynthetic response of drought and salt-stressed tomato and turnip rape plants to foliar-applied glycinebetaine. Physiology Plant. 105: 45-50.
- May, L.H.,. Milthrope, E.J and Miklthrope, F.L. (1962). Pre-sowing hardening of plants to drought. Field Crop Abstr., 15: 93-98.
- Michel, B.E. and Kaufmann, M.R. (1973). The Osmotic Potential of Polyethylene Glycol 6000. Plant Physiol. 51:914-916.
- Mishra, S.N. and. Srivastava, H.S. (1983). Role of inorganic nitrogen in the synthesis and degradation of chlorophyll and cartenoids in maize leaves. Biologia Plantarum, 25: 21-27.
- Muhammad Farooq, A., Wahid Nazir Ahmad and A. Asad. (2010). Comparative efficacy of surface drying and re-drying seed priming in rice. Changes in emergence, seedling growth and associated metabolic events. Paddy and water Environment. 8: 15-22.
- Muhammad Farooq, S.M.A. Basra, R. Tabassum and I. Afzal. (2006). Enhancing the Performance of direct seeded fine rice by seed priming. Plant Prod. Sci. 9: 446 – 456.
- Muhammad Farooq, Andual wahidad Nazir Ahmed and A. Ashad. (2009). Comparative efficacy of surface drying speed priming in rice. Change in emergence, seedling growth and associated metabolic events, Pakistan J. plant Sci., 23:24-27
- Nadeem Binzia. (1992). Investigation of the chemical constituents of Prosopis juliflora and circular Dichroismic studies of cholestan Quinoxalines. Ph.D thesis, HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Pakistan.
- Nagaraj. S. (1996). Seed hardening and coating studies in upland rice (Oryza sativa), M.Sc. (Ag) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. Combatore.
- Nandi, S. and Bera, A.K. (1995). Effect of mercury and manganese on seed , germination and seedling growth in black gram. Seed Res. 23: 125-128.
- Niranjanamurthi. S, G. Shivshankar, S. Hittalamani and M. Udaya Kumar. (1991). Association analysis among yield and some physiological traits in rice. Oryza, 28: 257-259.
- Orr. S.P, Jennifer, A., Rudgers, A., and. Clay, K. (2005). Invasive plants can inhibit native tree seedlings: testing potential allelopathic mechanisms. Plant Ecology, 181: 153 – 165.
- Parwar, H.K. and Kadam, R.M. (1981). Soaking of seed in solutions of different chemicals in relation to uptake of nutrients and protein content in wheat under rainfed conditions. Journal of MAU, 6:75-76.
- Pawar, K.N., Sajjan, A. and Prakash, B.G. (2003). Influence of seed hardening on growth and plant extracts in ragi cv. CO 13. Journal of Ecobiology.13:35-41.
- Prakash M., Sathiya Narayanan, G., Sunil Kumar, B., and Kamaraj A, (2013). Effect of seed hardening and pelleting on seed quality and physiology of rice in aerobic condition, Agricultural Science Digest: 33: 172-177.
- Ramaswamy, N. K., Nathawat, N. S., Nair, J. S., Sharma, H. R., and. Kumawat, S. M., Govind Singh, M., Sahu, P., and D’souza, S. F.(2007). Effect of seed soaking with sulphydryl compounds on the photochemical efficiency and antioxidant defence system during the growth of pearl millet under water limiting environment. Photosynthetica, 45: 477-480.
- Rangaswamy, A, Purushothaman S., and Devasenapaty. P. (1993). Seed hardening in relation to seedling quality characters of the crop. Madras Agric. J., 80:535-537.
- Rathinavel, K. and Dharmalingam, C., (1999). Seed hardening augment the productivity of cotton cv. LRA 5166 (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Madras Agricultural Journal. 86: 68-72.
- Rathinavel, K. and Dharmalingam, C., (2000). Upgradation of seed quality by hardening cum halogenation treatment in uppam cotton. Seed Res., 28: 5 – 9.
- Renugadevi, J., Natarajan, N. and Srimathi, P. (2008). Efficacy of botanicals in improving seeds and seedling quality characteristics of Cluster bean. Legume Res., 31: 164 –168.
- Saitoh, K., Kashiwagi, S. N., Kinoshita, T and Ishihara, H. (1991). Characteristics of drymatter production processes in high yielding rice cultivars. IV. Drymatter accumulation in the panicles. Jap. J. Crop. Sci., 60: 255-263.
- Sathiya Narayanan. G., Prakash, M. and Sunilkumar, B. (2013). Quality seed production in mungbean under abiotic stress condition, Lap Lambert Academic publishing company, Germany, Pp. 43-34.
- Srimathi, P., Kavitha, S and Renugadevi, J., (2007). Influence of seed hardening and pelleting on seed yield and quality in green gram (Vigna radiate L.) cv. CO 6. Indian J. Agric. Res., 41:122-126.
- Sundaram, S.P. (1998). Studies on the genetics of nodulation and nitrogen fixation by two rhizobial strains of Cowpea groups. Ph.D. Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Tamilmani.U. (2012). Studies on effect of various seed management practices on quality seed production in greengram (Vigna radiata L.) cv. ADT 3 under abiotic stress condition. M.Sc (Ag.) Thesis, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, India..
- Vijaya , J. (1996). Standardisation of presowing seed management technique for pulses. M.Sc.(Ag.)Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agriculture University, Coimbatore.
- Yoshida, S., Forno, D.A and Cock, J.H. (1971). Laboratory Manual for Physiological Studies of Rice. IRRI, Philippines, Pp.36-37.