Genetic variability, correlation and path coefficient analysis under drought in Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.)
Citation :- Genetic variability, correlation and path coefficient analysis under drought in Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) .Legume Research-An International Journal.2016.(39):319-322
Groundnut yield in rain fed areas has been limited by drought stress because pod yield and other growth parameters have been severely affected. The aim of this study is to evaluate the genetic variability, character association and path analysis between yield and its contributing traits in 30 groundnut genotypes under drought. Analysis of variance revealed the existence of significant differences among genotypes for all characters studied. The magnitude of PCV and GCV was moderate to high for number of pods per plant, dry haulm yield, kernel yield, plant height and dry pod yield. High heritability coupled with high genetic advance as per cent of mean was observed for kernel yield, plant height, dry pod yield, and hundred kernel weight indicating the role of additive gene in expressing these traits. Dry pod yield was significant positively correlated with kernel yield, no of pods per plant, hundred kernel weight and SPAD chlorophyll meter reading (SCMR). Path coefficient analysis indicated that number of pods per plant and hundred kernel weight were essential traits to be considered for realizing the improvement in yield.
- Al-Jibouri, H. Miller, P. A. and Robinson, H. F. (1958). Genotypic and environmental variances and covariance’s in an upland cotton crosses of interspecific origin. Agron. J. 50: 633-637
- Burton, G.W. (1952). Quantitative inheritance in grasses Proc. 6th Grassland Congr., 1:356-363
- Dewey, D.R. and Lu, K.H. (1959). A Correlation and path analysis of crested wheat grass seed production. Agron J. 51: 5-16.
- John, K. Vasanthi, R.P. and Venkateswarlu, O.(2007).Variability and correlation studies for pod yield and its attributes in F2 generation of six Virginia x Spanish crosses of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Legume Res. 30:292-296.
- Johnson, H.W. Robinson., H.F. and Comstock, R.E. (1955). Estimates of genetic and environmental variability in soyabeans. Agronomy Journal. 47: 314-318
- Khote, A.C. Bendale, V.W., Bhave, S.G. and Patil, P.P. (2009). Genetic variability, heritability and genetic advance in some exotic genotypes of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Crop Res. 37:186-191.
- Landole, M.Y. Watode, M.M. and Deshmukh, S.N. (2009). Genetic variability and character association studies for yield and yield contributing traits in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). J. of Oilseeds Res. 26: 123-125.
- Nageshwar Rao, R.C. Williams, J.H. and Singh, M. (1989). Genotypic sensitivity of drought and yield potential of Peanut. Agron J. 81:887-893.
- Nageshwar Rao, R.C., Talwar, H.S. and Wright, G.C. (2001). Rapid assessment of specific leaf area and leaf nitrogen in peanut(Arachis hypogaea L.) using chrophyll meter. J.Agron. Crop Sci., 189: 175-182.
- Nigam, S.N. Chandra, S. Rupa Sridevi, K. Manohar Bhukta and Reddy, A.G.S. (2005). Efficiency of physiological trait based empirical selection approaches for drought tolerance in groundnut. Ann of Applied Biol. 146: 433-439.
- Parameshwarappa, K.G. Malabari, T.A. and Lingaraju, B.S. (2008). Analysis of correlation and path effects among yield attributing traits in two crosses of large seeded groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). J. of Oilseeds Res. 25: 4-7.
- Pimratch, S. Jogoly, S. Vorasoot, N. Toopmasan, B. Patanothai, A. and Holbrrok, C.C. (2008). Relationship between biomass production and nitrogen fixation under drought stress conditions in peanut genotypes with different levels of drought resistance. J.Agron. Crop Sci. 194: 15-25.
- Reddy, K.R. and Gupta, R.V.S. (1992). Variability and interrelationship of yield and its component characters in groundnut. J. of Maharastra Agric. Univ. 17:224-226.
- Savaliya, J.J., Pansuriya, A.G., Sodavadiya, P.R and Leva, R. L. (2009). Evaluation of inter and intraspecific hybrid derivatives of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) for yield and its components. Legume Res. 32:129-132.
- Vaithiyalingan, M. Manoharan, V. and Ramamoorthi, N. (2010). Association analysis among yield attributes of early season drought tolerant groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). J. Plant Br.1: 1347-1350.
- Wright, G.C. Nageshwar Rao, R.C and Basu, M.S.(1996). A Physiological approach to the understanding of geneotype by environmental interaction: A case study on Improvement of drought adaptation in Groundnut. In: In plant adaptation and crop improvement, cooper,M and G.L.Hammer(Ed.). CAB International, Wallingford, UK., ISBN:0-85199-108-4.