Impact of foliar application of seaweed saps on yield, nodulation and nutritional quality in green gram (Vigna radiata L)
Citation :- Impact of foliar application of seaweed saps on yield, nodulation and nutritional quality in green gram (Vigna radiata L) .Legume Research.2016.(39):315-318
Seaweeds are marine macro algae, which form an important component of the marine living resources of the world. To evaluate the efficiency of seaweed (Kappaphycus and Gracilaria) saps on growth, yield and nutrition of Vigna radiata, an experiment was conducted during spring 2012 under field conditions. The ten treatments comprised two seaweed saps (K-sap & G-sap), four concentrations of each sap (2.5, 5, 10 and 15%), 7.5% of K-sap + 50% RDF (recommended dose of fertilizers) and control. The highest grain yield of 557 kg ha-1 was harnessed due to two foliar applications of 10% K-sap + RDF. Increase in yield due to K-sap ranged between 29.32 to 33.81% while due to G-sap it was 25.74 to 26.15%. Foliar application of K-sap influenced the number and dry weight of root nodules at flowering. Application of seaweed saps also enhanced quality of grains in terms of protein, P and K content.
- Anandharaj and Venkatesalu. (2001). Studies on the effect of seaweed extract on Dolichos biflorus. Seaweed Research and Utilisation Association, 24(1): 129-137.
- AOAC International (1995). Official methods of analysis of AOAC international. In: Cunniff, P. (Ed.), Contaminants, Drugs, 16th ed. Agricultural Chemicals, vol. 1. AOAC International, Wilson Boulevard, Virginia, USA.
- Ashok, V., Vijayanand and S. Rathinavel (2004). Bio-fertilizing efficiency of seaweed liquid extract of Hydroclathrus clathratus on Sorghum vulgare. Seaweed Research and Utilisation Association 26: (1and2): 181-186.
- Baldev, B. (1988). Cropping patterns. In Pulse Crop (Grain Legumes),. Eds Baldev B, Ramanujam S, Jain HK. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd.: 513-557.
- Bokil, K.K., Mehta V.C. and Datar, D.C. (1974). Seaweed as manure: II pot culture manorial experiment on wheat. Phykos, 13(1): 1-5.
- Chandrasekhar, C.P. and Ghosh, J. (2002). Food economy in disarray, Indian Food Ind, 21: 10-14.
- Crouch, I.J., Beckett, R.P. and Van Staden, J. (1990). Effect of seaweed concentrate on the growth and mineral nutrition of nutrient stress lettuce. J. Appl. Phycol. 2: 269-272.
- Garg, S.K. (1997). Effect of grain and machine parameters on milling responses of black gram. M. Tech. Thesis (Agril. Engineering). G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, India.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Hansra, B.S. (1993). Transfer of agricultural technology on irrigated agriculture. Fertilizer News, 38(4): 31-33.
- Jackson, M.L. (1973). Soil Chemical Analysis.Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India.
- Mancuso, S., Azzarello, E., Mugnai, S. and Briand, X. (2006). Marine bioactive substances (IPA extract) improve foliar ion uptake and water tolerance in potted Vitisvinifera plants. Adv. Horticul. Sci. 20: 156-161.
- Pramanick, B., Brahmachari, K. and Ghosh, A. (2013). Effect of seaweed saps on growth and yield improvement of green gram. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 8(13): 1180-1186.
- Sadaphal, M.N. (1988). Agronomy of pulses. In Pulse Crops (Grain Legumes), Eds Baldev B, Ramanujam S, Jain HK. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co., Pvt Ltd.: 456-512.
- Sivasankari S, Venkatesalu, V., Anantharaj, M. and Chandrasekaran, M. (2006). Effect of Seaweed extracts on the growth and biochemical constituents of Vigna sinensis. Biores. Technol, 97: 1745–1751.
- Thirumaran, G., M. Arumugam, R. Arumugam and P. Anantharaman, (2009). Effect of seaweed liquid fertilizer on growth and pigment concentration of Abelmoschus Esculentus (L) Medikus. American- Eurasian Journal of Agronomy, 2(2): 57-66.
- Thivy, F. (1960). Seaweed utilization in India. In the Proceedings of the Symposium of Algology. New Delhi: 345-365.
- Turan, M. and Köse, C. (2004). Seaweed extracts improve copper uptake of grapevine. Acta. Agric. Scand. 54: 213-220.
- Zodape, S.T., Kawarkhe, V.J., Patolia J.S. and Warade, A.D. (2008) Effect of liquid seaweed fertiizer on yield and quality of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.). J. Sci. Ind. Res. 97:1115-1117.
- Zodape, S.T., Mukherjee, S., Reddy, M.P., and Chaudhary, D.R. (2009). Effect of Kappaphycus alvarezii (Doty) Doty ex. Silva. Extract on grain quality, yield and some yield components of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Int. J. Plant Prod., 3: 97-101.
- Zodape, S.T., Mukhopadhay, S., Eswaran, K., Reddy, M.P. and Chikara, J. (2010). Enhanced yield and nutritional quality in green gram treated with seaweed (Kappaphycus alvarezii extract, J. Scie. Indus. Res., 69: 468-471.