Variation in phosphorus accumulation in groundnut cultivars as influenced by water salinity
Citation :- Variation in phosphorus accumulation in groundnut cultivars as influenced by water salinity .Legume Research.2016.(39):215-220
Soil salinity remains an obvious abiotic stress that changes the behavior of nutrient accumulation in crop plants. Phosphorus being a key element in determining crop growth and economic yield, its uptake in plant parts varies under saline condition. Hence an experiment was conducted to assess the changing phosphorus content in eight groundnut cultivars,were grown in a field trial having in-built soil salinity developed with 0.5, 2.0, 4.0 and 6.0 dSm-1 of saline irrigations (ECiw). Root-P was observed to have an increasing trend of accumulation upto 6.0 ECiw while leaf-P increased upto 4.0 ECiw with a concomitant rise in soil P. The cultivars TG 37A and GG 7 accumulated more leaf-P and root-P. However, across the cultivars the P-uptake was reduced when the applied ECiw was 6.0 dS m-1. Further, these plant-P parameters correlated with the yield and yield attributes of groundnut crop.
- Alam, S.M. (1999). Nutrient uptake by plants under stress conditions. In: Handbook of Plant and Crop Stress, 2nd edition. (eds. Kim H. Tan, M.Pessarakli.) Marcel Dekker. USA: 285-313.
- Ashraf, M. (2004). Some important physiological selection criteria for salt tolerance in plants, Flora, 199: 321-376.
- Awad, A.S., Edwards, D.G. and Campbell, L.C. (1990).Phosphorus enhancement of salt tolerance of tomato.Crop Sci., 30:123.
- Brown, C.E., Pezeshki, S.R. and DeLaune, R.D. (2006).The effects of salinity and soil drying on nutrient uptake and growth of Spartina alterniflorain a simulated tidal system.Environ. Exp. Bot.,58: 140–148.
- FAO (1973).Irrigation, Drainage and Salinity — an International Source Book. Hutchinson, London.
- Freeman, J.J. and Rowell, D.L. (1981).The adsorption and precipitation of phosphate into calcite.J. Soil Sci., 33:75–76.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomaz, A.A. (1984).Statistical Procedures for Agriculture Research. Willey, New York.
- Hu, Y. and Schmidhalter, U. 2005. Drought and salinity: A comparison of their effects on mineral nutrition of plants. J. Plant Nutri. Soil Sci., 168:541–549.
- Jackson, M.L. (1973). Soil Chemical Analysis. Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India.
- Kaya, C., Ashraf, M., Dikilitas, M. and Tuna, A.L. (2013).Alleviation of salt stress-induced adverse effects on maize plants by exogenous application of indoleacetic acid (IAA) and inorganic nutrients – A field trial.Aust. J. Crop Sci.,7(2):249 254.
- Meena, H.N., Bhalodia, P.K., Jat, R.S. and Vekaria, L.C. (2012). Prospects of using saline irrigation water for irrigation in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea)- pearlmillet (Pennisetum glaucum) cropping system in saline black clay soils of Saurashtra. Indian J.Agron.,57(2): 122-126.
- Mgbeze, G.C. and Omodamwen, J.O. (2011). Nutrient uptake in pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) grown under salt stress. J. Ag. Biol. Sci., 2(4): 99-107.
- Olsen, S.R., Cole, C.V., Watanabe, F.S. and Dean, L.A. (1954).Estimation of available phosphorus in soils by extraction with sodium bicarbonate.USDA Circular 939: 1-19, Govt. Printing Office Washington D.C.
- Onfri, A. (2007). Routine statistical analyses of field experiment by using an Excel extension. In: Proceedings 6th National Conference, Italian Biometric Society. “La statisticanellescienzedella vita e dell’ambiente”, Pisa, 20-22 June, 2007, pp. 93-96.
- Sharpley, A.N., Meisinger, J.J., Power J.F. and Suarez, D.L. (1992). Root extraction of nutrients associated with long-terms soil management. In: (Steward, B. ed.) Advances in Soil Science. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. pp. 151–217.
- Tejera, N.A., Campos R., Sanjuan J. and Lluch C. (2005).Effect of sodium chloride on growth, nutrient accumulation, and nitrogen fixation of common bean plants in symbiosis with isogenic strains.J Plant Nutri.,28: 1907–1921.
- Walkley, A. and Black, I.A. (1934).An examination of the Degtjareff method for determining soil organic matter, and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method.Soil Sci., 37:29-38.
- Zamani, S., Nezami, M.T. and Khorshidi, M.B. (2012).Effect of salinity stress on nutrient composition in the root of some canola (Brassica napus L.) cultivars.Wudpecker J. Ag. Res., 1(10):439 – 441.