Total chlorophyll, growth and productivity of soybean [Glycine Max (L) Merril] under different levels and sources of phosphorus and plant growth regulators in south Rajasthan, India
Citation :- Total chlorophyll, growth and productivity of soybean [Glycine Max (L) Merril] under different levels and sources of phosphorus and plant growthregulators in south Rajasthan, India .Legume Research.2016.(39):228-232
An experiment was conducted at the Instructional Farm of Rajasthan College of Agriculture, Udaipur during Kharif 2009 and 2010 on medium clay loam soils to assess the influence of different levels and sources of phosphorus fertilization as well as plant growth regulators on productivity of soybean. Twenty seven treatments i.e. three levels (20, 30 and 40 kg P2O5 ha-1) and three sources (Single super phosphate or SSP; phosphorus rich organic manure or PROM and di-ammonium phosphate or DAP) of phosphorus in main plots and three PGRs (water spray, benzyl adenine 50 ppm and NAA 100 ppm) in sub plots of a split plot design having three replications. Results revealed that application of 40 kg P2O5 ha-1 recorded significantly higher pooled yield (q ha-1) of grain (25.95), stover (37.34) and total biomass (63.29); crop growth rate or CGR (g m-2day-1) between 30-60 days after sowing ( DAS)(18.83) and 61-90 DAS (11.96); total chlorophyll content at 45 DAS (2.26%) and 60 DAS (2.80%); Leaf area index(LAI) at 45 DAS (1.56) and 60 DAS (3.44) and green leaves plant-1 at 45 DAS (11.98) and 60 DAS (21.43). Among different phosphorus sources, SSP outperformed DAP and PROM on pooled yield (q ha-1) of grain (25.12), stover (36.23) and total biomass (61.35); CGR (g m-2day-1) between 30-60 DAS (11.22) and 61-90 DAS (10.94); total chlorophyll content at 45 DAS (2.26%) and 60 DAS (2.76%); LAI at 45 DAS (1.51) and 60 DAS (3.42) and green leaves plant-1 at 45 DAS (11.77) and 60 DAS (21.35). Foliar application of NAA recorded significantly higher pooled yield (q ha-1) of grain (24.23), stover (35.73) and total biomass (60.01) than benzyl adenine and water spray. However, variations recorded under NAA and benzyl adenine in CGR, total chlorophyll content, LAI and green leave plant-1at different stages of soybean crop were statistically at par.
Crop growth rate
Leaf area index
Relative growth rate
Total chlorophyll content.
- Bajguz, A. and Hayat, Shamsul. (2009). Effect of brassinosteroids on the plant response to the environmental stresses. Plant Physiology & Biochemistry 47: 1-8.
- Brar, B.S., Singh, J. and Benipal, D. (2010). Response of soybean to different levels of phosphorus and sulphur in alluvial soils of Punjab. Indian Journal of Ecology 37: 56-59.
- Chavan, P.G., Shinde, V.S., Kote, G.M., Solunke, P.S. and Bhondve, A.A. (2008). Response of sources and levels of phosphorus with and without PBS inoculation on growth, yield and quality of soybean. Research on Crops 9: 286-289.
- Deotale, R. D., Kalamkar, V. B. and Banginwar, A. D. (2011). Effect of foliar sprays of cow urine and NAA on morpho- physiological, chemical, biochemical parameters and yield of soybean. Journal of Soils and Crops 21: 2 332-337.
- Havlin, J.L., Beaton, J.D., Tistale, S.L. and Nelson, W.L. (2007). Soil Fertility and Fertilizers. 5th Edition, Pearson Education Private Limited Indian Branch, 482 FIE Patpatganj, Delhi, India.
- Hegde, B.R. (2012). Carrying capacity of Indian agriculture: Oilseeds. Current Science 102: 867-873.
- Kanojia, Y. (2006). Effect of phosphorus nutrition and agro-chemicals on productivity of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merril]. M.Sc. thesis, Department of Agronomy, Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur (Rajasthan).
- Kanojia, Y. and Sharma, D. D. (2008). Effect of phosphorus nutrition and agrochemicals on the productivity of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill]. Legume Research 31:51-53.
- Khaswan, S.L. (2013). Performance of phosphorus levels, sources and growth regulators on productivity and quality of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merril]. Ph.D. Thesis submitted to Department of Agronomy, Rajasthan College of Agriculture, Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur (Rajasthan).
- Maity, S.K., Giri, Gajendra and Deshmukh, P.S. (2013). Effect of phosphorus, sulphur and planting methods on growth parameters and total yield of groundnut (Arachis hypgea L.) and sunflower (Helianthus annus L.). Indian Journal of Plant Physiology 3: 377-382.
- Miranda Rafael de Souza, Ruppenthal Viviane, Lopes Lineker Souza, Vieira Cynthia Fontenele, Marques Virua Braga and Lacerda Feitosa (2013). Phosphorus fertilization improves soybean growth under salt stress. International Journal of Plant and Animal Sciences 1: 21-29.
- Rahdari P and Sharifzadeh V. 2012. Effects of Auxin and Cytokinin on morphological and Physiological factors in Soybean (Glycin max L). Life Sciences Journal 9: 5796-5807.