Efficacy of imidacloprid seed treatment for the control of leafhoppers and thrips in groundnut
Citation :- Efficacy of imidacloprid seed treatment for the control of leafhoppers and thrips in groundnut .Legume Research.2016.(39):305-309
The bio-efficacy of imidacloprid seed treatment against leafhopper and thrips of groundnut was studied during kharif (23rd to 42nd standard week) and summer (5th to 23rd standard week) cropping seasons of 2010 and 2011. The six different concentrations viz., 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 g a. i. kg-1 were tested for their bio-efficacy. A modified sweep net method was followed to record the leafhopper and thrips populations. Seed treatments with imidacloprid @ 2.0 to 5.0 g a. i. kg-1 were found most effective in reducing the insect population. However, seed treatment with imidacloprid @ 2.0 g a. i. kg-1 may be included in integrated pest management (IPM) package for groundnut from environmental safety point.
- Altmann, R. (1991). Gaucho, a new insecticide for controlling beet pests. Pflanzenshutz Nachr. Bayer 44: 159%174.
- Anonymous (2013). Vision 2015. Directorate of Groundnut Research (DGR), Junagadh-362001.PP.28.
- Amin, B.W. (1980). Techniques for handling thrips as vectors of tomato spotted wilt virus and yellow spot virus of groundnut, Arachis hypogea L. occasional paper. Groundn. Entomol. ICRISAT 80: 1%20.
- Dhawan, A.K., Kaur, S., Kour, A. and Kour, G. (2011). Management of cotton jassid (Amrasca biguttula) through seed treatments in okra (Abelmoschus esculentus). Indian J. Agric. Sci. 81: 190%193.
- Ester, A., de Vogel, R. and Bouma, E. (1997). Controlling Thrips tabaci (Lind.) in leek by film-coating seeds with insecticides. Crop Prot. 16: 673%677.
- Vierbergen, G. and Ester, A. (2000). Natural enemies and sex ratio of Thrips tabaci (Thysanoptera: Thripidae), a major pest of Allium porrum in the Netherlands. Med. Fac. Landbouww. Univ. Gent 65: 335%342.
- Fluckiger, C.R., Kristinsson, H., Senn, R., Rindlisbacher, A. and Beholder, H.G.V. (1992). CGA-215944, a novel agent to control aphids and whiteûies. In: Proceedings of the Brighton Crop Protection Conference, 23-26 November, 1992, Brighton pp. 21%28.
- Ghewande, M.P. (1987). Virus diseases of groundnut and their management. In: Symposium on Diseases of Oilseed and Pulse Crops and Their Control, JNKVV, Jabalpur, pp. 62%67.
- Herbert, K.S., Hoffmann, A.A. and Powell, K.S. (2008). Assaying the potential beneûts of thiamethoxam and imidacloprid for phylloxera suppression and improvements to grapevine vigor. Crop Prot. 27: 1229%1236.
- Incerti, F., Bortolotti, L., Porrinit, C., Sbrenna, A.M. and Sbrenna, G. (2003). An extended laboratory test to evaluate the eûects of pesticides on bumble bees. Bull. Insect. 56: 159%164.
- Ishaaya, I., Barazani, A., Kontsedalov, S. and Horowitz, A.R. (2007). Insecticides with novel modes of action: Mechanism, selectivity and cross-resistance. Entomol. Res. 37: 148%152.
- Krauter, P.C., Sansone, C.G. and Heinz, K.M. (2001). Assessment of imidacloprid seed treatment effects on beneûcial insect abundance in sorghum. Southwest Entomol. 26: 143%146.
- Lobna, T.M.Z. (2012). Bio-Efficacy of three new neonicotinoid insecticides as seed treatment against four early sucking pests of cotton. American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci. 12: 535%540.
- Makkouk, K.M. and Kumari, S.G. (2001). Reduction of incidence of three persistently transmitted aphid-borne viruses affecting legume crops by seed-treatment with the insecticide imidacloprid (Gaucho®). Crop Prot. 20: 433%437.
- Nandagopal, V., Geetha, N. and Gedia, M.V. (2007).Evaluation of sampling procedure for leafhopper and thrips in groundnut. J. Entomol. Res. 31: 279%284.
- Nandagopal, V. and Reddy, P.S. (1987). Outbreak of Balclutha hortensis Lindb., a new pest species of groundnut. J. Oilseed Res. 4: 300.
- Nandagopal, V. and Vasanta, S. (1991). Influence of plant growth regulators on the population of thrips, Caliothrips indicus (Bagnall) and damage in groundnut. Entomon 16: 87%89.
- Nault, B.A., Alan G.T., Urwiler, M., Rabaey, T. and William D.H. (2004). Neonicotinoid seed treatments for managing potato leafhopper infestations in snap bean. Crop Prot. 23:147%154.
- Rao, G.V.R. and Wightman, J.A. (1993). Groundnut thrips of economic importance, their occurrence and seasonal distribution. J. Entomol. Sci. 4: 13.
- Singh, Y.P., Singh, S.P. and Singh, R. (2011). Effect of seed treatment on the painted bug, Bagrada hilaris Burm. in Indian mustard. Indian J. Entomol. 73: 156%161.
- Vadodaria, M.P., Patel, C.J., Patel, R.B., Misuria, I.M. and Patel, U.G. (2001). Imidacloprid (Gaucho) a new seed dresser against sucking pests of cotton. Gujarat Agric. Univ. Res. J. 26: 32%38.
- Vyas, H.N. (1984). Losses due to insect pests in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea). Proceedings of the all India workshop on crop losses on insect pests. Indian J. Entomol. 2: 312%317.
- Yamamoto, I. (1999). Nicotine to Nicotinoids: 1962 to 1997. In: Nicotinoid insecticides and the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (Eds. Yamamoto, I. and J.E. Casida), Tokyo, pp. 3%27.