Yield and profitability of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) as influenced by sowing dates and nutrient levels with different varieties
Citation :- Yield and profitability of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) as influenced by sowing dates and nutrient levels with different varieties .Legume Research-An International Journal.2015.(38):791-797
A field study was conducted to evaluate the date of sowing of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) during kharif 2009 and 2010. Experiment was laid out in split-plot design by assigned dates of sowing (20 April, 15 May, 9 June and 4 July) and varieties (‘HNG 10’ and ‘TG 37A’ ) in main plots and four fertility levels (without fertilizers, 20 N + 40 P2O5, 30 N + 60 P2O5 and 40 N + 80 P2O5 kg /ha) in sub-plots. Yield components of semi-spreading variety ‘HNG 10’ were statistically at par with each other at different dates of sowing from 20 April to 9 June. Harvest index in both the varieties was observed significantly higher in 4 July sowing. The results of the study showed that significantly higher crop stand at harvest was observed in 9 June and 4 July sowing than all other sowing dates and variety ‘TG 37A’ flowered significantly earlier than ‘HNG10’. Significantly higher yields were recorded in 30 kg N+60 kg P2O5 /ha which was statistically at par with 40 kg N+80 kg P2O5 /ha. On the basis of economics, variety ‘HNG 10’ of groundnut recorded significantly higher net return (61843/ha) when sown on 9 June.
Date of sowing
- Bala, H.M.B., Ogunlela,V.B.,Kuchinda, N.C. and Tanimu,B.(2011). Responce of two groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) varieties to sowing date and NPK fertilizer rate in a semi-arid environment: yield and yield attributes. Asian Journal of Crop Science. 3:130-134.
- Canver, K. and Kayank, A. M. (2008). Effect of different planting dates on yield and yield components of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.).Turk Journal of Agriculture. 32:521-528.
- DOR. (2009). Directorate of Research, Swami Keshwanand Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner, Rajasthan. Annual Report pp66.
- Gochar, R. (2011). Effect of cultivars and weed management on late sown groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) in north western Rajasthan. M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis submitted to SKRAU, Bikaner.
- Gomez, K. A. and Gomez, A. A. (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. John Wiley & Sons, Singapore.
- Gouri, V., Reddy R., Narayansimha, S.B.S. and Rao ,Y.A. (2005). Thermal requirement of rabi groundnut in Southern Telangana Zone of Andhra Pradesh. Journal of Agrometerology 7: 09-94.
- Hariprasanna, K.L., Chuni and Radhekrishana,T. (2008). Relationship between flowering duration and physical-quality traits as well as pod yield in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 78:180-2.
- Hossain, M.A., Hamid, A. and Nasreen, S. (2007). Effect of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizer on N/P uptake and yield performance of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Journal of Agricultural Research. 45:119-127.
- Jackson, M.L. (1973). Soil Chemical Analysis. Prentice Hall of India Pvt Ltd, New Delhi.
- Kabadagi,C.B. and Setty, R.A. (2010). Growth characters and yield of groundnut genotypes as influenced by levels of NPK and growth regulators. Research on Crops. 11:697-700.
- Kingra, P .K. and Kaur, P. (2012). Effect of dates of sowing on thermal utilization and heat use efficiency of groundnut cultivars in central Punjab. Journal of Agricultural Physics. 12:54-62
- Leong, S.K. and Ong, C.K. (1983). The influence of temperature and soil water deficit on the development and morphology of peanuts (Arachis hypogaea L.). Journal of Experimental Biotechnology. 34: 1551–1561.
- Meena, R.S., Yadav, R.S. and Meena, Vijay. 2013. Heat Unit Efficiency of Groundnut Varieties in Scattered Planting with Various Fertility Levels. The Bioscan. 9: 1189-1192.
- Nuttonson, M. Y (1955). Wheat-climate relationships and the use of phenology in ascertaining the thermal and photothermal requirements of wheat. Am Institute of Crop Ecoogy, Washington.
- Olsen, S.R., Cole, C.V., Watanabe F.S. and Dean, L.A. (1954). Estimation of available phosphorus in soil by extraction with sodium bicarbonate. Circular 939, USDA, Washington, DC, USA.
- Pareek,N.K. and Poonia,B.L. (2011). Effect of FYM, nitrogen and foliar spray of iron on productivity and economics of irrigated groundnut in an arid region of India. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science. 57:523-531.
- Ravisankar, N., Balakrishnan, M., Ghoshal, S., Chaudhuri, A. S. K., Srivastava, R. C., Subramani, T. and Bommayasamy, N. (2010). Evaluation of time, method of sowing and varieties for table-purpose groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) under Island ecosystem. .) Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 80:293-7.
- Reddy, V.C., Babu, B.T.R. and Yougendra, T. (2000). Growth and flowering behave of groundnut varieties in relation to sowing dates during Kharif season. Current Research. 29:163-165.S
- Sardana,V and Kandhola, S S. (2007). Productivity of semi-spreading and bunch type varieties of groundnut as influenced by sowing dates. An Open Access Journal published by ICRISAT 5:1-3.
- Stanford, S. and English, L. (1949). Use of flame photometer in rapid soil tests for K and Ca. Agron J. 41: 446-7.
- Subbiah, B.V. and Asija G. L. (1956). A raped processor of determination of available nitrogen in nitrogen in soil. Current Science 25:259-260.
- Subrahmaniyan, K., Kalaiselvan, P. and Balasubramanian, T. N. (2008). Microclimate variations in relation to different types of polyethylene-film mulch on growth and yield of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea), Indian Journal of Agronomy 53: 184–8.